Active Topics | Member List | Search | Help | Register | Login
The John Byrne Forum
Byrne Robotics > The John Byrne Forum << Prev Page of 152 Next >>
Topic: DC Relaunch Discussion Thread (Topic Closed Topic Closed) Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 02 June 2011 at 6:43am | IP Logged | 1  

I don't see her as a support person for Batman; she is the support
person for the entire DCU.   Everyone except Superman depends on
her. She was as likely or far more likely to show up in other books
than in Batman's.

As Batgirl, she rarely showed up outside of Bat-books. Did she ever
join any teams? As Oracle she was on JLA and ran Birds of Prey.

As Oracle, she is a major player. As Batgirl she is Batman-lite, and one
of several clones/copies. (And I say this as someone who likes Batgirl,
but she never had a chance to grow out of Batman's shadow until she
became Oracle.)

Back to Top profile | search

Don Zomberg
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 02 June 2011 at 6:44am | IP Logged | 2  

Wonder if DC will "go back" far enough to undo the Super-marriage with this. More people seem concerned about losing an adult Dick Grayson, but separating Clark and Lois is bound to cause some sleepless nights for a portion of the dwindling readership.

Craig Robinson
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 02 June 2011 at 6:54am | IP Logged | 3  

Don, I read on some blogs last night that the promo material is starting to hint at a Superman + Wonder Woman heart-shaped carving on the old oak tree behind the Hall of Justice. 

And yikes, let me add.  I'm hoping this is just misdirection, or misinformation.  And, of course, the site that I found it on last night is blocked from work.  Oh!  Here we are:

http://www.bleedingcool.com/2011/05/31/flashpost-the-hooking -up-of-superman-and-wonder-woman/

Anyone know if that's an old image recycled as promo material?

Don Zomberg
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 02 June 2011 at 7:06am | IP Logged | 4  

Looks like DC is doing away with old mistakes to make room for new ones.

Kirk Campbell
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 02 June 2011 at 7:19am | IP Logged | 5  

Here's Dan Didio's letter to fans regarding their concerns:

http://www.supermanhomepage.com/news.php?readmore=9860

"Folks, as you wonder and wait for the new series announcements to unfold, I just wanted to let you know that we are spending an extraordinary amount of time and energy to reinvigorate our line of characters and bring the best books possible for the widest audience possible. Sorry if anyone is feeling disenfranchised, especially since that's not the intent. Quite the opposite, we are trying to create a place and story where older fans can point for new fans to start, whether in periodical, graphic novel or digital. A place where everyone can share in the excitement of the DC Universe.

As the saying goes, if it ain't broke, don't fix it, and there are a lot of great things that don't need fixing. But we're also saying that we will not stand idly by and let series run on inertia and let the industry fade around us. All of us here at DC love the form and the characters way too much for that.

Tomorrow we begin filling you in on all the excitement we have planned, plenty of real news to talk about and it's time for everyone to join in the fun.

best,
DD"

Greg Woronchak
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 02 June 2011 at 7:56am | IP Logged | 6  

The point is, this 'reboot' is generating alot of talk and speculation, which I'm sure DC is pleased about. They're guessing that the vocal whiners will probably still buy issues to keep up their collections <g>.

And it's true that someone had to try something drastic to bring in readers. Even if the reboot is a flop, I'm kinda glad DC has some balls.

I'm sure Marvel is watching this situation with tremendous interest.

Back to Top profile | search | www e-mail

Brian Joseph Mayer
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 02 June 2011 at 8:01am | IP Logged | 7  

Oooh.  It looks like the Post-Zero Hour LSH is going to make a return. I am excited about that idea.  That was the version that got me into LSH. I haven't been able to really get into any of the versions since.
Back to Top profile | search e-mail

Shawn Kane
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 02 June 2011 at 8:24am | IP Logged | 8  

I got into DC Comics post-Crisis on Infinite Earths. I was 12 and a Marvel Zombie but JB was taking over Superman and I was interested. My timeline will vary with these because I tend to forget the years but I eventually picked up Legends, Wonder Woman #1, Flash #1, Justice League #1, and started Batman monthlies with Batman Year One #404. I never really felt like I was lost and increased my interest in DC Comics so that I started picking up other issues. Man of Steel, Wonder Woman, and Batman Year One were all retellling new origins but the Flash was Wally West and I knew that the was taking over for Barry Allen after he died. There  was nothing too convoluted going on for me to get lost with.

We all know that things changed and timelines got mixed up and we had Zero Hours and other things to deal with but if DC makes it as simple to follow as I felt it did for me way back when, they can be successful.

On a sort of related note, my LCS has had alot of younger kids coming in and buying comics in the last 2 years. Some have parents that frequent the store and some don't. They have their parents bring them in because of the cartoons, toys, and movies. I hope that DC will make alot of these new titles fun and appropriate for those new readers and can capture their imaginations.

A guy can dream, right?

James Elliott
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 02 June 2011 at 8:28am | IP Logged | 9  

Lee forgot to make Green Lantern's gloves green.  Seems like he should have done that to be consistent with the movies, which seem now to be dictating how things in comics should look.

Craig Robinson
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 02 June 2011 at 8:43am | IP Logged | 10  

And no GL power ring, either?  Is he going to be more of an Alan Scott GL in this new Tyler Perry's DC Universe Reborn?  Maybe he has the Starheart instead of a GL battery?

Mike Norris
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 02 June 2011 at 8:46am | IP Logged | 11  

With a movie coming out that focuses on the SF GL with rings and aliens, I kind of doubt it..

Brian Joseph Mayer
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 02 June 2011 at 8:52am | IP Logged | 12  

"As Oracle, she is a major player. As Batgirl she is Batman-lite, and one
of several clones/copies. (And I say this as someone who likes Batgirl,
but she never had a chance to grow out of Batman's shadow until she
became Oracle.) "

This is such a true statement when it comes to my opinion of Oracle vs. Batgirl. She is just much more interesting to me. If she was Batgirl, I would go back to not caring about her.

<< Prev Page of 152 Next >>
  Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version