Active Topics | Member List | Search | Help | Register | Login
The John Byrne Forum
Byrne Robotics > The John Byrne Forum << Prev Page of 152 Next >>
Topic: DC Relaunch Discussion Thread (Topic Closed Topic Closed) Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 02 June 2011 at 1:22am | IP Logged | 1  

These JLA redesigns aren't exactly my cup of tea.

Superman with a different costume and a new cover logo.

Um.

Not good.
Back to Top profile | search e-mail

Doug Jones
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 02 June 2011 at 2:30am | IP Logged | 2  

DC Entertainment was formally announced in 2009.

One year later, the company announced its "bi-coastal re-alignment strategy", which consolidated "business functions related to and supporting multi-media and digital content production" here in L.A.

In the year between those announcements, Apple launched the iPad, Android rose to prominence as an operating system, Amazon began refining the Kindle and Barnes and Noble grew the Nook into a legitimate platform. Since then, HP has announced the Touchpad, numerous Android tablets have hit the market, and Amazon inches further toward the launch of it's own color tablet. Meanwhile, Apple has sold 19 million iPads as of March 2011, and can't make enough to meet demand. And Borders has downsized into irrelevance.

It seems that DCE, which seemed to be dragging its feet into the digital realm with its late-to-the-game store and its pitiful offerings, was instead actually biding its time for over a year with a plan to eventually go all-in. They've known the writing was on the wall for a long time: there's no growth in print sales no matter what you're selling.

And that means Jim Lee threw a bit of a head fake to pros and retailers this past February when he compared the revenues of print and digital to the width of a piece of letter-sized paper to dental floss. The analogy may have been accurate, but it seems they were already deep into a plan to thicken up the floss. Not sure about the plan itself--it smacks of some "old-guard" thinking (Why have issue numbers at all? Just year and date will suffice). But the message is clear: the only way to reach new readers is to go where they are: in front of the device they carry with them at all times.

Back to Top profile | search

Dave Phelps
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 02 June 2011 at 2:36am | IP Logged | 3  

Brad Krawchuk:  "There's still 22 spots to go!"

I've heard there may be some Wildstorm books getting filtered in there as well.

Doug Jones:  "I think success is: being able to tell anyone with an iPad, iPhone, or Android device that they can read a DC comic anywhere they want on the day it's released."

No, success is people with an iPad or what have you actually buying the things.  Also important - these have to be actual newbies (or at least lapsed readers) and not just people switching formats.  If it's more of the latter, this whole thing could be a disaster, for more than just DC.

John Byrne
Grumpy Old Guy

Posted: 02 June 2011 at 4:48am | IP Logged | 4  

…sales were huge for Batman: Hush…

••

I don't recall seeing numbers on that series. Were they REALLY huge, or just what the current market THINKS is "huge"?

Jonathan Stover
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 02 June 2011 at 4:56am | IP Logged | 5  

So is there any point to reading what would now seem to be 'lame-duck' storylines in BATMAN, INC. and JSA, among others? This also seems to make the rapidly improving GROUNDED and ODYSSEY storylines in SUPERMAN and WONDER WOMAN completely pointless when it comes to long-term character development. So it goes. Wait a minute...does this mean they're cancelling XOMBI too? I was just enjoying the first two issues! Argh!

Cheers, Jon

Brian Floyd
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 02 June 2011 at 5:04am | IP Logged | 6  

Jim Lee is technically one of my favorite comic book artists, except for two things:

1. He seems to only know how to draw three facial expressions. And one of them is `I'm constipated'.

2. His costume designs tend to suck.

I predict this `reboot' will fail and DC will claim it was intended to be a temporary thing all along, then everything will go back to normal.

Carmen Bernardo
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 02 June 2011 at 5:31am | IP Logged | 7  

Brian, how they'll make excuses for it if it bombs is starting to sound like the aftermath of many government programs.  Screwing up is the 'New Normal'.

Aside from that, I'm not really even paying much attention to this, as it's still the same damned crowd running the show, only under a different name tag.  'DC Entertainment'?  Like in M***** Entertainment, right?

I avoid the other one(s), too.  Unless it's a small publisher with certain artists whose work I still admire, and who're still very much in touch with what the audiences should be getting from their work.  We all know who we're talking about there.

Thomas Moudry
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 02 June 2011 at 5:31am | IP Logged | 8  

I think it's temporary anyway. I think it's a storyline, not a reboot, but that's
why I'm intrigued. If it is a reboot, they've got a chance to do post-Crisis
right. If it's not (and I don't think it is), then, it's the Age of Apocalypse with
a retro Silver Age twist.

Stephen McGrath
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 02 June 2011 at 5:42am | IP Logged | 9  

***Question for the Mods***

I have put MY take in the form of an episode of my podcast.  I'd like to post it here, but am aware of the rule about self-promotion.  Tho not as "fun", I could post a trascript instead...

What say you, Mods? 

Edited to remove passive agressive comment.

Edited by Stephen McGrath on 02 June 2011 at 5:43am

Craig Robinson
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 02 June 2011 at 5:54am | IP Logged | 10  

Were they REALLY huge, or just what the current market THINKS is "huge"?

The latter.  According to comicchron site, quoting Diamond sales, the first issue of HUSH (Batman 608) did 120k sales.  http://www.comichron.com/monthlycomicssales/2002/2002-10.htm lIt

HUSH finished up relatively strong (compared to the concurrent sales) with Batman 619 at 235k sales. http://www.comichron.com/monthlycomicssales/2003/2003-09.htm l

While numbers like that may seem astronomical by today's sales standards, I'd wager (cause I can't find their actual sales numbers online) that even the worst grocery checkout aisle tabloid did stronger sales.

Edited by Craig Robinson on 02 June 2011 at 6:18am

Stephen Robinson
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 02 June 2011 at 6:09am | IP Logged | 11  

Oracle to me is unique, Batgirl is just a member of the Batfamily

SER: I respect that opinion, but I have never liked Oracle, not
because I prefer Batgirl, but because the character lessens Batman. I
prefer the Batman who can do his own research.

I also think Batgirl is more independent in her way than Oracle, who is
a support role to Batman.

Back to Top profile | search | www

Stephen McGrath
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 02 June 2011 at 6:43am | IP Logged | 12  

Based on my ability to READ...

Do Not post self-promotional threads or messages of any kind.

Here's the transcript.  I apologize for the ALL-CAPS mode...it's how I write for my podcast so it's easier to for me to read...I'm not yelling...I promise... :)

SO, IT'S OFFICIAL...EVERY SINGLE BOOK THAT DC PUBLISHES IS RESTARTING AT #1.  EVEN ACTION COMICS...EVEN DETECTIVE COMICS...SUPERMAN, BATMAN, WONDER WOMAN...FIVE BOOKS THAT, JUST BY THE ISSUE NUMBER, ALLUDE TO THE HISTORY OF THOSE CHARACTERS AND THE WHOLE DCU.  THERE'S A REASON ACTION COMICS #1 HAS SOLD AT AUCTION FOR MORE THAT A MILLION DOLLARS. CUZ THERE'S ONLY BEEN ONE! AND THEY ONLY PRINTED 200,000 OF THOSE.  AND ONLY ABOUT A THOUSAND ARE BELIVED TO HAVE MADE IT THRU THE LAST SEVENTY-THREE YEARS.  BUT...THAT DOESN'T MATTER. ALLOWING JIM LEE TO COVER OUR FAVORITE HEROES WITH COLLARS AND CRACKERJACK* IS MORE IMPORTANT.  ALLOWING GEOFF JOHNS, A WRITER I, AS A DEVOTED COMICS FAN FOR THE LAST 25 YEARS, HAVE HAD TONS OF RESPECT FOR, ALLOWING JOHNS TO TOSS ANY HISTORY THESE CHARACTERS...THE ENTIRE DCU IN FACT, HAVE HAD, IN FAVOR OF APPEALING TO FOLKS AT LEAST YOUNG ENOUGH TO REMEMBER GILMORE GIRLS, FELICITY AND DAWSON'S CREEK, THAT'S WHAT MATTERS...CUZ THAT'S WHAT WE'RE GETTING...SUPERMAN AND LOIS' MARRIAGE IS DONE, REPLACED BY THE "DRAMA" OF SUPERMAN HOOKING UP WITH WONDER WOMAN...PROOF THAT THIS ISN'T REALLY AN ATTEMPT BY DC TO GET MORE PEOPLE TO READ THE BOOKS...IT'S AN EFFORT BY GEOFF JOHNS TO DO ALL THE STUFF THAT HE'S ALWAYS WANTED TO DO...I MEAN, REALLY...WHO HASN'T THOUGHT ABOUT WHAT IT'D BE LIKE FOR SUPERMAN AND WONDER WOMAN TO JOIN THE MILE HIGH CLUB...WITHOUT THE INVISIBLE JET...I'M SURE THERE'S A WHOLE WING OF THE INNERWEBS DEVOTED TO THAT VERY IDEA. BUT WE DON'TNEED THE FAN-FIC TO CROSS OVER INTO THE "REAL THING".

OK...LET'S GO "BACK IN TIME"...LET'S SEE THE YOUNGER HEROES...EARLY IN THEIR CAREERS, MORE FRESH, WITHOUT A LOT OF BAGGAGE...NOT A BAD IDEA.  BEEN DONE BEFORE, IN FACT...YOU NEED TO REINVENT YOURSELF EVERY ONCE IN AWHILE...I'M NOT AGAINST THE IDEA...BUT IF THE INTENT, AS THE PRESS RELEASES SO FAR HAVE INDICATED, IS TO RETURN THESE ICONIC CHARACTERS TO THE WHAT MADE THEM ICONIC, THEN DO THAT. DON'T TAKE THIS AS AN OPPORTUNITY TO "DO WHAT YOU'VE ALWAYS WANTED TO DO" WITH THEM.

NOW, I'M NOT A CURMUDGEON...I CAN ACCEPT CHANGE. AS SOMEONE WHO, UP TIL RECENTLY, READ COMICS FOR 25 YEARS, I'M USED TO SEEING THE ODD TWEAK OR WHOLESALE REBOOT OF A WHOLE BUNCH OF MY FAVORITE CHARACTERS. SOME HAVE WORKED, OTHERS...NOT SO MUCH. SUPERMAN'S REBOOT BY JOHN BYRNE AT THE BEGINNING OF MY COMIC COLLECTING CAREER, I FEEL, WAS ONE THAT WORKED...FOR AWHILE.  IT WIPED THE SLATE SUPER-CLEAN AND STARTED SUPER-FRESH, USING, AS THE FOUNDATION, THE CORE IDEAS ESTABLISHED OVER THE PREVIOUS FIVE DECADES AND INSERTED OTHER CAREFULLY SELECTED SUPER-ELEMENTS FROM MANY DIFFERENT SUPER-SOURCES AND CREATED A NEW, COHESIVE WHOLE.  MR. BYRNE MOVED ON, SO OTHERS MOVED IN TO CONTINUE THE WORK...ADDING BACK MANY OTHER NOSTALGIC SUPER-ELELMENTS BUT ALSO ADDING NEW SUPER-IDEAS TO THE MIX...AGAIN, SOME SUPER-WORKED, OTHERS SUPER-DIDN'T AND IT BECAME SUPER-APPARENT THAT IT WAS TIME TO SUPER-REJIGGER THINGS AGAIN...WHICH WE'VE SEEN ORCHESTRATED BY THE AFOREMENTIONED GEOFF JOHNS OVER THE LAST FEW YEARS IN WAYS THAT I HONESTLY ENJOYED. AND THAT'S HAPPENED WITH JUST ABOUT EVERY CHARACTER OVER THE TIME I'VE BEEN READING: FROM BATMAN TO WONDER WOMAN TO FLASH, GREEN LANTERN, EVEN THE MARTIAN MANHUNTER AND AQUAMAN...THE INTENT ALWAYS TO MAKE THEM BETTER SO MORE PEOPLE WOULD READ THE BOOKS. BASED ON WHAT I'M HEARING DC HAS PLANNED, THINGS AREN'T GOING QUITE THE WAY THEY WOULD LIKE...SO IT'S TIME TO DO IT AGAIN...BUT THIS TIME, IT WON'T BE DONE WITH TARGETED STRIKES...NOPE...THIS IS SHOCK AND AWE WITH ALL THE GBU-28 BUNKER BUSTERS YOU CAN FIND.  RESTARTING EVERYTHING...NOTHING WILL EVER BE THE SAME AGAIN...AGAIN.  SO, WHAT ARE WE IN FOR?  WELL, AS I MENTIONED BEFORE, SUPERMAN WON'T BE MARRIED TO LOIS IT APPEARS...BUT YOU KNOW WHAT? CLARK KENT SHOULD STILL PINE FOR HER. THAT'S CENTRAL TO HIS STORY. TO HIS LEGEND.  AND SUPERMAN SHOULD ABSOLUTELY NOT USE THE JUSTICE LEAGUE AS A SUPER-SINGLES CLUBBEYOND SUPERMAN, DC SAYS THEY PLAN ON "INTRODUCING READERS TO STORIES THAT ARE GROUNDED IN EACH CHARACTER'S SPECIFIC LEGEN BUT ALSO REFLECT TODAY'S REAL WORLD THEMES AND EVENTS." OK, THAT'S FINE...I CAN DIG THAT...AS LONG AS BRUCE WAYNE IS BATMAN, BARRY ALLEN IS FLASH, HAL JORDAN IS GREEN LANTERN AND AQUAMAN IS STILL FROM ATLANTIS. OH, AND AS LONG AS THE STORIES ARE GOOD, TOO.

WHAT SHOULD DC DO? FROM THIS READER'S PERSPECTIVE THERE ARE CERTAIN ELEMENTS OF ALL OF THESE CHARACTERS, AND THE HUNDREDS OF OTHERS THAT SURELY WILL BE AFFECTED BY THIS MOVE, THAT ARE ROCK SOLID AND SHOULD NEVER BE CHANGED, NO MATTER HOW COOL GEOFF JOHNS OR GRANT MORRISON MIGHT THINK IT WOULD BE IF AQUAMAN COULD ACTUALLY CONTROL WATER...I MEAN, HE IS AQUAMAN, RIGHT?  HERE'S AN IDEA: LET'S FREEZE THESE CHARACTERS IN TIME AND KEEP THE CONTINUITY TO A MINIMUM.  JUST TELL GOOD STORIES.  LET'S NOT HAVE THE BI-MONTHLY "THIS STORY CHANGES THINGS...FOREVER" STORIES.  FLASH HAS TO DEAL WITH A MEMBER OF HIS ROGUES GALLERY AND DOES SO IN A RATHER INTERESTING WAY, THEN HAS TO DEAL WITH THE FACT THAT HE'S LATE FOR HIS DATE WITH IRIS...AGAIN. IT CAN BE DONE...HECK, IT WAS DONE FOR 50 YEARS BEFORE SOMEONE GOT THE LAME IDEA THAT THAT WAS LAME.

SO, ON THE ONE HAND, I'M SAD, AND ON THE OTHER, I'M NERVOUS.  SAD THAT I WON'T BE ABLE TO READ WHAT'S GOING TO COME. I AM MORE THAN CURIOUS.  IT IS THE PERFECT OPPORTUNITY FOR ANYONE TO EITHER JUMP ON OR STAY ON FOR THE RIDE. THERE'S NO DENYING THAT. UNFORTUNATELY, COST, WHICH KNOCKED ME OUT OF THE GAME AT THE END OF LAST YEAR, WILL KEEP ME FROM BEING ABLE TO JOIN IN ON ALL THE RE-BOOTY FUNNESS. MAYBE I'LL PICK UP A FEW TRADES HERE AND THERE. BUT IF YOU CAN, GET OUT THERE AND BUY SOME COMICS!   AS TO WHY I'M NERVOUS?   WELL, TO BE HONEST, I DON'T WANT THIS TO BE THE ULTIMATE FAN-BOY-TURNED- WRITER EXHIBITTION.  AND I'M AFRAID THAT'S WHAT IT'S GOING TO BEJOHNS AND MORRISON AND DIDIO AND ALL THE REST NEED TO REMEMBER WHO INVITED THEM TO THE PARTY WHILE THEY WORK ON ATTRACTING MORE FOLKS TO HIT THE DANCE FLOOR.  BUT, MORE THAN ANYTHING ELSE, I WANT THIS TO WORK.  I WANT THIS TO BE A SHOT IN THE ARM FOR DC IN PARTICULAR BUT FOR COMICS IN GENERAL.  I HOPE MARVEL BENEFITS FROM THIS, TOO.  I REALLY DO.  COMICS ARE FUN AND MORE PEOPLE SHOULD READ THEM. I WANT NEW STORIES TO BE TOLD FOR A REALLY LONG TIME. IF THIS GONZO RE-BOOT FOR THE DC UNIVERSE HELPS WITH THAT, THEN...BRING IT ON.

<< Prev Page of 152 Next >>
  Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version