Active Topics | Member List | Search | Help | Register | Login
The John Byrne Forum
Byrne Robotics > The John Byrne Forum << Prev Page of 152 Next >>
Topic: DC Relaunch Discussion Thread (Topic Closed Topic Closed) Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 01 June 2011 at 2:03pm | IP Logged | 1  

I'm in for Batgirl.

'Bout time "The Killing Joke" was laid to rest!

In the chair, outta the chair! In the chair, outta the chair! Everybody do the Xavier!
Back to Top profile | search | www e-mail

Brad Krawchuk
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 01 June 2011 at 2:18pm | IP Logged | 2  

Ah, but Xavier always defaults back to the chair because that's his original setting. Barbara Gordon? As much as I love Oracle, and the whole Birds of Prey team that she heads up, that was taking a lump of coal and turning it into a diamond... after someone took a diamond and turned it into a lump of coal.

So, Batgirl is a +1 on my pull list for a few months to see if it's any good, and to show some support for the once, future, and greatest Batgirl.
Back to Top profile | search e-mail

Jason Larouse
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 01 June 2011 at 2:29pm | IP Logged | 3  

I'll buy the first few issues of Justice League because Jim Lee is one of my childhood favorites and he rarely does anything now but I seriously doubt we'll even get 6 issues out of him.

As for the rest-who cares? It's not really going to bring any fresh perspective if it's the same DC writers shuffling around the books. If they really wanted to get balsy they'd bring in all brand new writers that have never written for DC before. THAT would be a reboot.

Btw- Did anyone notice that Jim Lee forgot to draw Green Lantern's ring here?

http://dcu.blog.dccomics.com/files/2011/06/jl_cv1.jpg

Edited by Jason Larouse on 01 June 2011 at 2:31pm
Back to Top profile | search

Aaron Smith
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 01 June 2011 at 2:36pm | IP Logged | 4  

Don't misunderstand me, Brad. I'd rather see Barbara restored too. I hate what The Killing Joke did. But I won't be surprised when some writer in the not too distant future undoes the undoing because he grew up with Oracle.

Kip Lewis
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 01 June 2011 at 2:42pm | IP Logged | 5  

Reading some comments one big fear is they are de-aging everyone
going back to teenage Dick Grayson and more. (I'd be surprised if
they did all that.)

Notice red trunks are gone from Superman's costume.

Aaron Smith
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 01 June 2011 at 2:42pm | IP Logged | 6  

Everytime DC or Marvel does something like this, we hear all this talk about it making it a perfect time for new readers to jump in. I wonder how many potential new readers, or readers who would like to return, are kept away by all this event crap.

My wife enjoys comics and likes superheroes, but she won't read current superhero comics from the Big Two (neither do I anymore, so I understand her point of view). She started reading The Flash a few years ago. This was when the title had restarted with Bart as the title character. To her, that was the Flash since she "met" him first (just as Barry was to me). Then, a handful of issues into the series (10 issues I think) BOOM! no more Bart and the number went up to 200 something and Wally was back. Then a short time later, series ends, here comes Barry again, new first issue! Now that series is ending with this latest reboot? That's good DC! That's a way to keep people coming back!

Stéphane Garrelie
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 01 June 2011 at 2:54pm | IP Logged | 7  

At least this time ir seems all characters will be restored.

If they don't screw it by writing them badly, there may be a real chance for the DC universe.

Barry as Flash

Hal as Green Lantern

and Barbara Gordon as Batgirl

+ Hawkman in a series writen by James Robinson, and there're worst writers than Robinson.

Aquaman is in the Lee pic, so there's hope that he'll get a series too (has it be anounced, or even rumored?)

I certainly will follow Batgirl so i hope that i will like the creative team and that Babs will be writen well.

Francesco Vanagolli
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 01 June 2011 at 3:08pm | IP Logged | 8  

Stéphane, Aquaman will be relaunched by Geoff Johns and Ivan Reis.

That's one title I'll pick up, more for Reis' art than for Johns' writing. Fact is, I'm so afraid the first 12 issues will be just a prologue of something like "Atlantis Vs. the Universe"... with no real story inside.

Edited by Francesco Vanagolli on 01 June 2011 at 3:09pm

Jason Larouse
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 01 June 2011 at 3:17pm | IP Logged | 9  

Does Geoff Johns write 80% of DC's books now?

Robert White
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 01 June 2011 at 3:51pm | IP Logged | 10  

This could work if they suck it up and completely reboot EVERYTHING. If they don't, this will fail. Simple as that.

Dave Phelps
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 01 June 2011 at 5:32pm | IP Logged | 11  

Stéphane, it's funny.  The reason I see some of you guys being enthusiastic about it is one of the main reasons I'm not particularly enthusiastic about it.  If you're going to reboot a universe, I think you should look at all the characters and do a no fooling bottoms-up recreation.  (Less so with The Big Three, but anyone else should be up for grabs.)

If all you're going to do is effectively rewind everyone to where they were in 1980, with some tweaked outfits, then it's not really "leaving a clean slate for new readers;" it's just restoring TPTB's childhoods at the expense of the childhoods of the people who have grown up with the books since then.  Blech.

(And Brad, I guess you'd make up for me on Batgirl.  I loved Stephanie as Batgirl and would hate to see her go to kick Babs back 25 years.  Don't get me wrong, I loved Babs as Batgirl and would happily read an "untold tale" series or what have you, but as Oracle she was one of the pillars of the DCU.  It's a shame to kick her back to being one of Batman's team of hangers-on.)

Brad Krawchuk
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 01 June 2011 at 5:45pm | IP Logged | 12  

Nothing is being rebooted completely. Green Lantern, Flash, Brightest Day, Blackest Night... all these things are still "continuity."

They're just punching a button that resets the universe back to a more traditional vantage. Barbara as Batgirl, Dick as Nightwing (presumably with Tim back as Robin), Barry as Flash, Hal as Green Lantern, Aquaman alive and in his own title without a hook or a water hand. Superman and Lois won't be married anymore. The Geoff Johns' "Secret Origin" stories for both Hal and Superman will be their new status quo officially. 

I'm also thinking now that the 52 #1's aren't all ongoings. Some may even be one shots, but I bet quite a few will be miniseries that simply deal with new origins and dynamics in the modern DCU. The Bat family of books will probably be something like Batman, Detective, Nightwing, Robin, Batgirl, and Batwoman, and that's it. Superman will have his self titled series, Action Comics, Supergirl, Superboy (with Conner Kent). Flash will be a single book, Green Lantern will have two titles, Wonder Woman will have one, Aquaman, Adventure Comics, The Legion of Superheroes, The Titans... that takes us to 18. 

Then there will be Justice League, Hawkman, Justice Society, Secret Six/Suicide Squad, Birds of Prey, and a separate Justice League associated team with the old JLI squad. That takes us to 24. 

There's already confirmation of an OMAC series, Jonah Hex will more than likely continue without a hitch but with a new #1, the New Gods will get a title (or two) and there will more than likely be a L.E.G.I.O.N. title to take over since R.E.B.E.L.S. has ended. There will need to be some magic representation, so either Zatanna will restart at #1 or there will be a mystical team book involving Frankenstein, Detective Chimp, Blue Devil, etc. Like a cross between Shadowpact and the Seven Soldiers by Morrisson. That brings us to... 29. 

Anyone think of anything else that would get an ongoing right out of the gate and be simple enough for new readers to follow? The rest are probably minis and one-shots. 

<< Prev Page of 152 Next >>
  Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version