Active Topics | Member List | Search | Help | Register | Login
The John Byrne Forum
Byrne Robotics > The John Byrne Forum << Prev Page of 152 Next >>
Topic: DC Relaunch Discussion Thread (Topic Closed Topic Closed) Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 01 June 2011 at 7:46am | IP Logged | 1  

It's not an in or out-of continuity concern for me; it's that the main characters that I primarily follow may no longer exist.  That does not leave one with much loyalty to their product.  I

'm not going to set all my Robin/Red Robin backissues on fire in protest.  I'll still enjoy my backissues.  I'll even still collect backissues.  I'm saying that I cannot support this direction (as reported).  I wish them luck, but I'll have to pass.

Edited by Craig Robinson on 01 June 2011 at 7:55am
Back to Top profile | search

Matt Hawes
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 01 June 2011 at 7:57am | IP Logged | 2  

I am wondering if this is an "Age of Apocalypse"-style stunt? DC supposedly cancels the long-running titles, runs "new universe/alternate reality" titles for a four to six month period, then restores everything back to normal, including old numbering and titles?
Back to Top profile | search | www

Shawn Kane
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 01 June 2011 at 8:02am | IP Logged | 3  

Personally, I don't subscribe to the "if they're not in-continuity and don't count why should I read them" mentality. My enjoyment of the stories is what makes them count.

____________________________________________________________ _

I agree. I want good stories featuring my favorite characters. Is it cool if they reference something that I read when I was 8? Sure but to say that every story I've ever read doesn't matter would seem to be a glorious waste of my time. That would mean my mother was right about comics!

How we enjoy with what we read should really be the only measure if we wasted our time or not IMO.

Paul Greer
Byrne Robotics Security

Posted: 01 June 2011 at 8:18am | IP Logged | 4  

I said the same thing Matt. I think this will end up being another "event" without them announcing it as such. I will say that Ivan Reis on Aquaman may actually be a way for me to read such a series. He draws such purty pictures.

Greg Woronchak
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 01 June 2011 at 8:22am | IP Logged | 5  

The thing is, it doesn't matter what glitzy creative teams they announce for books. If they don't delivery the goods consistently and on time (or stick around for more than a few issues), it's all for naught, IMO.
Back to Top profile | search | www e-mail

Tim Cousar
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 01 June 2011 at 8:24am | IP Logged | 6  

Paul and Adam, thanks.

Sheesh! If you're going to reboot everything, shouldn't you make sure Superman is first again?

Brian Joseph Mayer
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 01 June 2011 at 8:24am | IP Logged | 7  

I am wondering if this is an "Age of Apocalypse"-style stunt? DC supposedly cancels the long-running titles, runs "new universe/alternate reality" titles for a four to six month period, then restores everything back to normal, including old numbering and titles? "

But isn't that what Flash Point is? I am hard pressed to think they would follow one alternate reality with another alternate reality.

I am just wondering if this means no new JLI as foretold at the end of Generation Lost.

Back to Top profile | search e-mail

Flavio Sapha
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 01 June 2011 at 8:48am | IP Logged | 8  

Only DC book I buy these days is JONAH HEX.

Here's hoping Jim Lee stays away from him.

Shawn Kane
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 01 June 2011 at 8:52am | IP Logged | 9  

The thing is, it doesn't matter what glitzy creative teams they announce for books. If they don't delivery the goods consistently and on time (or stick around for more than a few issues), it's all for naught, IMO.

____________________________________________________________ _

Or even worse, they do a few issues to drum up interest and either move on due to delays or just make way for a new creative team.

Andrew Hess
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 01 June 2011 at 9:40am | IP Logged | 10  

Back in '85/'86, DC pulled their biggest stunt ever when they published "Crisis on Infinite Earths," in which all of DC Continuity was up for grabs.

When I heard about this, and as I read the series and some of the tie-ins, my assumption was that there was a team up at DC coordinating with all of the creative folk to come up with a cohesive new universe of heroes. I had even heard that one of the ideas was that, with the last issue of Crisis, every comic was going to re-start with #1. 
But it turned out that no one was really coordinating anything, many comics continued pretty much as before, and we wound up with a shambles. 

Now Geoff Johns, DC Creative Director, is in charge of shaking up the status quo and relaunching the entire DC line, and giving each comic a new #1.

Even tho I haven't followed any of these comics for years, maybe decades, I applaud DC for trying something drastic. I just hope they can do what their company, and the industry, needs to attract new readers.
Back to Top profile | search | www

Mike Farley
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 01 June 2011 at 9:43am | IP Logged | 11  

I think this is going to be more or less the same game DC plays every few years. Just like the "reboots" in the wake of the original Crisis, Zero Hour, and Infinite Crisis. Most of the core continuity will remain the same. Some stuff will be tweaked and shifted around. Scott Snyder tweeted that his recent Detective run is still going to be in continuity so the Bat-universe will be mostly intact. Green Lantern is probably not getting any extreme make over either.

My worry is for the lower selling titles. Stuff like Xombie or Zatanna or such--these are the books that'll probably be victims in this..whatever it is.

Paul Greer
Byrne Robotics Security

Posted: 01 June 2011 at 9:48am | IP Logged | 12  

In general I find nothing wrong with a clean slate reboot. However, they have already stated that Green Lantern will be the same continuity. It's their biggest property right now and they don't want to upset the current audience. However, once you pick and choose who and what gets affected then it is not a clean slate reboot. All or nothing. Really go for broke. That would get me excited in sampling these titles. My gut tells me it will go away in a years time. Why bother?

<< Prev Page of 152 Next >>
  Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version