The John Byrne Forum
Byrne Robotics > The John Byrne Forum << Prev Page of 13 Next >>
Topic: Your X-Men (Topic Closed Topic Closed) Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 14 May 2011 at 8:18am | IP Logged | 1  

Steven Myers wrote:
...138. Cyclops left...

I always thought that to be a good issue for someone to jump into the X-Men during that relative period of time, as that issue offers on overview on the history of the team. I had all ready been reading the series by that point, but it sure filled me in on what had happened before I picked up the series, and the back issues of the run.

Back to Top profile | search | www

William T. Byrd
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 14 May 2011 at 9:03am | IP Logged | 2  

My first issue is hard to pinpoint.  A friend in elementary school that introduced me to the X-Men did so with issues from the Byrne, Claremont and Austin era, and he didn't give them to me in order, but the spinner rack at the drug store was selling issues 163 and 164. My favorite lineup was the Cyclops, Wolverine, Colossus, Kitty, Nightcrawler, Storm and I actually thought Binary was one of the X-men when I picked up 163 and 164.
Back to Top profile | search

Petter Myhr Ness
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 14 May 2011 at 9:41am | IP Logged | 3  

• Cyclops
  • Wolverine
  • Phoenix
  • Banshee
  • Nightcrawler
  • Storm
  • Colossus

John Byrne
Grumpy Old Guy

Posted: 14 May 2011 at 10:11am | IP Logged | 4  

...138. Cyclops left...

++

I always thought that to be a good issue for someone to jump into the X-Men during that relative period of time, as that issue offers on overview on the history of the team. I had all ready been reading the series by that point, but it sure filled me in on what had happened before I picked up the series, and the back issues of the run.

••

That was my intent, when I suggested we "pause" and do a recap/history issue. Alas, I did not foresee the term "jumping on point" becoming so firmly ingrained in the fan mentality. After all, properly handled, with regular monthly comics, EVERY issue should be a "jumping on point".

(How different would my life be today, if, back in 1956, when I bought that SUPERMAN ANNUAL that started it all, comics had been like they are today, and the clerk in the store had told me I should wait a few months for a good "jumping on point"?)

Brian Hague
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 14 May 2011 at 10:38am | IP Logged | 5  

X-men 113 with Cyclops, Phoenix, Wolverine, Storm, Colossus, Nightcrawler, Banshee, and in the background, the Beast and Professor X. Magneto was the villain, with Nanny as his robot assistant.

The next issue's cover featured the team as ghosts or memories gathered above the grieving figures of Hank, Jean, and the Professor.

Imaginative super-heroes, a super-villain who can hold his own, excellent characters and storytelling, and top it off with ghosts and robots! A proven recipe for success!

Back to Top profile | search e-mail

Tim O Neill
Byrne Robotics Security

Posted: 14 May 2011 at 2:22pm | IP Logged | 6  

I was really lucky in the way I found the X-Men.  My brother had an incomplete bunch of JB and Dave Cockrum issues that I used to steal from his collection.  It wasn't comprehensive, but it spanned a good deal of time that was well before my being into comics.  I didn't read Giant Size #1, but my introduction was #94 and #95, the first two issues to resume the series featuring Chris Claremont, Len Wein, and Dave Cockrum.  So Thunderbird is in my line-up! 

Then the next issue was #97, then #99, then #107, then JB's first issue of #108.  At the time I was reading them, I was getting these segments of a larger story, but the story featured in #107-108 was perfect to me.  It was the first JB comic book I read (but hadn't bought), and it was something else.  The consistency got better with JB's run, so those stories are central to my young reading years.

John Popa
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 14 May 2011 at 3:11pm | IP Logged | 7  

X-Men #195.

The team was Wolverine, Colossus, Nightcrawler, Kitty, Rogue, Storm and Rachel Summers (with no code name whatsoever.)

Nightcrawler is definitely not in the issue.  I don't think Colossus and Storm are either.

Mark McConnell
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 14 May 2011 at 9:52pm | IP Logged | 8  

1973, #83.  It was a reprint starring Cyclops, Angel, Beast, Iceman and Marvel Girl.  It also guest starred Spider-Man.

Robert Bradley
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 14 May 2011 at 11:02pm | IP Logged | 9  

It's funny, my introduction to the X-Men was when the title was in reprints, but there were some appearances out the in CAPTAIN AMERICA or MARVEL TEAM-UP or AMAZING ADVENTURES if you were patient.

Of course once they had whetted my appetite, they went out and changed to a new group and I had to read about the Beast in the AVENGERS and the Angel and Iceman in CHAMPIONS.

They didn't make it easy!

Back to Top profile | search | www

Tony Midyett
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 15 May 2011 at 6:02am | IP Logged | 10  

X-Men # 153 was my first issue -- Kitty's Fairy Tale to Illyana -- was I ever lost.

My first encounter with the team was in Rom, though.  So my X-Men were:

Storm
Kitty
Wolverine
Nightcrawler
Colossus
Cyclops (shortly thereafter)

You took my answer!  Weird first issue, wasn't it?  And it didn't really make me a fan at all.  What got me hooked on the X-Men was stumbling across a Byrne ish (part 2 of "Days of Futurepast") at a flea market about two months later.

Michael Penn
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 15 May 2011 at 6:17am | IP Logged | 11  

That #138 recap issue -- one of my favorites! -- only soon after, alas, came to seem to me as JB's heartfelt valediction to the comicbook. As Cyclops was leaving, so too would JB. I suppose this is only the hindsight view, although I don't know how much anybody, including JB, had a sense of his imminent departure around the time #138 was produced.

Rod Collins
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 15 May 2011 at 6:56am | IP Logged | 12  

Issue 129 (1979):

Cyclops

Colossus

Wolverine

Storm

Nightcrawler

Phoenix

Professor X