Active Topics | Member List | Search | Help | Register | Login
The John Byrne Forum
Byrne Robotics > The John Byrne Forum << Prev Page of 13
Topic: Your X-Men (Topic Closed Topic Closed) Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 18 May 2011 at 4:12pm | IP Logged | 1  

Hey!  That's the picture from the 7-11 cup!
Back to Top profile | search

David Suiter
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 18 May 2011 at 4:39pm | IP Logged | 2  

1989Issue 248

StormHavokColossusDazzlerPsylocke

Wolverine did not show up until my fourth issue and the team roster was completely broken up by then. But this is one of my favorite incarnations of the X-Men.

I'm still buying the X-Men after all these years. Never stopped.

Edited by David Suiter on 18 May 2011 at 6:04pm

Back to Top profile | search | www

Brennan Voboril
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 18 May 2011 at 4:43pm | IP Logged | 3  

Cockrum was so good about designing costumes.  I'd put him at #2 after Kirby.  He was that good.

Michael Murphy
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 18 May 2011 at 5:42pm | IP Logged | 4  

My first exposure was the original X-Men in a series (I can't remember the name of it) that reprinted the Lee/Kirby stuff. Probably in the late 70's. I had no idea that I was reading reprints until I moved a few years later and made my first friend who was also really into comics. He introduced me to the new X-Men by Claremont & Byrne. 

I left the X-Men during the Claremont & JR Jr years, returned during the Claremont/Lee years and left again when Lee did. I tried to return a few times; when Claremont did and for Morrison's run but left both pretty quickly. I also got Whedon's Astonishing X-Men in trade form and enjoyed them.

Shawn Kane
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 19 May 2011 at 6:18am | IP Logged | 5  

I have to admit that looking back, I probably could have dropped Uncanny after #185. I was 11 years old and I stilled LOVED the X-Men at that point but I never liked the fact that Storm didn't have powers anymore. The tone of the book became darker but I didn't really see that at the time. I was simultaneously expecting everything to go back to normal but also enjoying the "anything could happen" mood. I liked plenty of individual issues in the JRjr run with Claremont at the time (193, 197, and 200 come to mind) but as a whole, I stopped enjoying the comic that I loved so much in the previous years.

Event though I didn't like the Secret Wars 2 crossover, Mutant Massacre, the Adversary, and the plotlines that I followed until I dropped Uncanny in 94 as much, those stories were not as bad as alot of the stuff that has been done since then.

Edited by Shawn Kane on 19 May 2011 at 6:24am

Adam Hutchinson
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 19 May 2011 at 7:44am | IP Logged | 6  

QUOTE:
To me the X-Men are a team, not a nation.

Exactly why I finally gave up on Uncanny. I want to read about a team of mutants that fights for a world that hates and fears them, not an Israel analogy.

Darren De Vouge
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 20 May 2011 at 12:55am | IP Logged | 7  

...when I was told that 'the Danger Room is angry'. 

WTF!  Boy am I glad I missed that.

Emery Calame
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 20 May 2011 at 4:46am | IP Logged | 8  

" I dunno.  I don't think the Helicarrier was built with alien technology nor designed to act and think in order to carry out their purposes.  The Danger Room was. "

No, the danger room was designed to simulate combat within user defined parameters. It was not a character. It was not evolving.

" The Danger Room was much more of a computer than some of the other things you mentioned. Computers going evil are a pretty standard convention in comic books from Ultron to Superman III to however many others were out there. "

Ultron went bad as soon as he was introduced. So did the computer in Superman III. So did the Sentinels.

They never sat around in the background for twenty five years doing what they were supposed to and then suddenly turned from a useful device into a villain on the thinnest of premises suggesting that alien computer tech always comes alive and tries to kill people in comic books except for all that time that it totally didn't do that at all.

The Danger Room being angry is not unlike Maxwell Lord Shooting Blue Beetle in the head. It is misguided, whiplash inducing nonsense. 

" Though I am sure it depends on if that type of story is your type of story. YMMV."

Yeah you were right. You ARE missing the point. By a PARSEC.

Edited by Emery Calame on 20 May 2011 at 5:03am
Back to Top profile | search e-mail

James Lansberry
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 20 May 2011 at 5:21am | IP Logged | 9  

First issue was UXM #207.  This led me up thru the late 80's and beyond.  Last issue was UXM #390 with the supposed "death" of Colossus.  Good issue, but the upcoming creative teams/storylines weren't something I was interested in.

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

<< Prev Page of 13
  Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version