Active Topics | Member List | Search | Help | Register | Login
The John Byrne Forum
Byrne Robotics > The John Byrne Forum << Prev Page of 13 Next >>
Topic: Your X-Men (Topic Closed Topic Closed) Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Grumpy Old Guy

Posted: 16 May 2011 at 7:12am | IP Logged | 1  

Can anyone remember their last issue of the X-Men?

Easy enough. Uncanny X-Men 536, which I got last week. Withhold your boos, please.

••

Unless you plan to discontinue your purchases as of that issue, that's not an answer to the question asked.

Back to Top profile | search

Tony Midyett
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 16 May 2011 at 7:20am | IP Logged | 2  

It's funny how memory can sometimes play tricks. Seeing this question, I was sure I had continued to buy the book for several issues after I left as artist/plotter, but checking online I find that the last issue I bought was 145, only two past my departure!

------------------------------------------------------------ ---------------------------

Pardon my ignorance, JB, but I assumed Marvel sent its artists freebies of all its titles.  Not so?

Mark McKay
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 16 May 2011 at 11:51am | IP Logged | 3  

As near as I can tell, my last issue of the X-Men was 248.

Edit: I take it back. I bought a few sporadically after that point, and I think
the last issue, where I really truly gave up on, was #257.

Edited by Mark McKay on 16 May 2011 at 11:52am

Back to Top profile | search e-mail

Philippe Negrin
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 16 May 2011 at 12:29pm | IP Logged | 4  

I stopped reading X-Men during the Inferno arc (240's?) It was just dreadful. Silvestri whom I initially liked was getting so unpalatable. The stories didn't register anymore in my head as I turned the pages. I couldn't even re-read the poor things. Thankfully at around the same time Alan Davis's Excalibur started and they were my new X-Men.

Darren De Vouge
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 16 May 2011 at 12:47pm | IP Logged | 5  

Tricky question for me because my first X-Men comic book was not the first one I read. 

The first X-men story I ever read was X-Men # 1 from 1963, reprinted in 'Sons of Origins of Marvel Comics'.

My first issue was X-Men # 127 and the line up was Cyclops, Phoenix, Wolverine, Banshee (depowered), Storm, Nightcrawler, Colossus, Havoc and Polaris .  As classic a team as you could ever have except for the originals.  

Eddie Avila
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 16 May 2011 at 9:10pm | IP Logged | 6  

My first encounter with the X-Men was on a 7-11 cup.  It featured the "All-New All-Different" line-up and it might have had them beside the old line up, I can't remember.

My next encounter with them was in the pages of Marvel Team-Up #53.  They were giving Spider-Man a lift after the events of Marvel Team-Up Annual #1, which I had missed.  Flying with Spidey were:  Cyclops, Colossus, Night Crawler, Banshee, Storm, Phoenix and Professor X.

My first X-Men comic:  #108.  Same line-up.  THE DEFINITIVE X-MEN.

(I might be off on the timing of the 7-11 cup.  Does anyone else remember these cups, the pinnacle of Slurpee-dom?)

Eddie Avila
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 16 May 2011 at 9:22pm | IP Logged | 7  

Found it!

http://stlcomics.com/cover_gallery/details.php?image_id=8682 &sessionid=8d9ed7a6222c30522ddab55bce683878

Brad Teschner
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 17 May 2011 at 6:44am | IP Logged | 8  

I'm having trouble determining which team was my first...I want to say I was
introduced to the X-Men via Secret Wars. That would make "My X-men"
Cyclops, Storm, Nightcrawler, Wolverine Rogue and Colossus. But something
tells me I read the trade for the Phoenix Saga first, so my line-up would be
Cyclops, Phoenix, Storm, Nightcrawler, Wolverine and Colossus.

Edited by Brad Teschner on 17 May 2011 at 6:48am

Emery Calame
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 17 May 2011 at 8:02am | IP Logged | 9  

My first issue was the 2nd team (Banshee, Night Crawler, Storm, Wolverine, Cyclops, Colossus) going up against Arcade in Murderworld.  Uncanny X-men # 126, 1979 I think. 

My next on was #129. 

That was before I knew about comic book stores and picked them up at Eckerd's, Winn's 5& 10, Utotem, or 7-11 and could only buy whatever they had which meant missing issues.
Back to Top profile | search e-mail

Matt Hawes
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 17 May 2011 at 8:14am | IP Logged | 10  

My last issue, as a regular reader (I won't count the fact that I buy the series for the shop to sell)... I'm a bit foggy on the specific issue, but I recall it was just after "Uncanny X-Men" #300. That was the period that I decided to get serious about getting a comics shop, and so I stopped picking up regular comics as a rule while I did conventions and flea markets to raise money for my endeavor.

I do continue to read comics from time to time, even X-Men titles, but not so regularly, and I don't collect anymore. Mostly this is due to the "you can't be a dealer and do your own drug" mentality. If I collect, I will hold onto everything I find cool, and that could affect the business negatively. But, as noted, I will still read different comics from time to time.

Back to Top profile | search | www

Brad Hague
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 17 May 2011 at 9:21am | IP Logged | 11  

My first issue was #147 with Storm, Wolverine, Collosus, Angel, Nightcrawler, and Sprite.

With all the references to Phoenix, who had recently died, I felt compelled to seek out back issues.

Obviously, the art was Cockrum, which I loved.  As I collected the back issues, I was at first stricken by how different the previous art was from Cockrum.  I thought that Byrne's Colossus was the DEFINATIVE version of the character.  But I felt Cockrum had the definative Nightcrawler.

Mark Haslett
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 17 May 2011 at 9:49am | IP Logged | 12  

Emery: That was before I knew about comic book stores and picked them up at Eckerd's, Winn's 5& 10,...

Dime Stores! (Thread drift alert!)
I used to seek Super-hero bounty in the Fuji 10 cent store on 45th Ave. in Seattle.
I wonder how many of us on the board shopped honest to goodness Ten Cent Stores? ("Honest to goodness"
in name only in my case-- only 1/8 of the stuff I remember could actually have cost a dime).

<< Prev Page of 13 Next >>
  Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version