Peter Parker, MJ and Mephisto hammering out their deal

Batman shooting Darkseid to death

Earth 2 Superman Zombie eating brains

Powerman and Alias... Nah.

Back to Top profile | search

Brad Krawchuk
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 29 April 2011 at 6:50pm | IP Logged | 2  

Leaving aside the terrible story ramifications, that statue is UGLY!

U-G-L-Y-!

The cover is a decent design, and works well as a panel or would work well as a shot in a movie. But it does NOT translate into 3D at all! First, you'll never be able to actually place it where the cover can be truly recreated. Second, in order to view it where it makes sense, that promo shot is pretty much the only placement one could choose. Try looking at it straight on, you don't see Tony's face or the Iron Man armor under his shirt. 

Terrible, terrible idea for a statue! 

And while I'm railing against it, might as well point out the helmet isn't facing the right way and the whiskey is on the wrong side. On the cover, the bottle is near Tony's left hand, and the helmet is facing him with the rear of it reflected in the mirror. 

Shoddy job all around, then!
Back to Top profile | search e-mail

Emery Calame
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 29 April 2011 at 6:51pm | IP Logged | 3  

Maybe a tiny Jean Loring dancing around on a section of brain statue?

Greg McPhee
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 29 April 2011 at 6:53pm | IP Logged | 4  

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I thought it was said that the whole Alcoholism arc was meant to be a done-in-one kind of story, not meant to define the character or be revisited. It was Denny O'Neil that gave Stark another bender that lead to Rhodey taking over for a while.

================================================

Here's a link to a Bob Layton interview on Iron Man and his career, and an answer to the question about "Demon in a Bottle":

http://www.comicbookresources.com/?page=article&id=124

Tony Stark's alcoholism story (focused heavily in Vol. 1, #128) is a classic, referenced today as one of the best and most poignant. Today the subject matter seems tame (compared to the amount of sex, violence and drugs prevalent in comics today), but they still read as very relevant. How hard was it to get this story past Marvel and the CCA? Did you and Michelinie know how "timeless" this story would become? 20-some odd years later, how does that story stand up for you?

We had NO idea how strongly the comics biz would react at the time. To be quite honest, I don't remember giving it much thought. We were simply telling another Iron Man story. The only difference was that the villain in that one was Tony Stark himself.

Brian Hague
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 29 April 2011 at 7:27pm | IP Logged | 5  

Man, Red Arrow can NOT catch a break, can he?

So far, the only rotten, horrifying fate that he seems to have escaped was becoming Liefeld's Shaft in the original Youngblood/ Titans proposal.

Emery, congratulations on an excellently observed series of comics' most egregious and nauseating "Jump the Shark" moments.

For me, I'd need a couple of statues portraying the Golden Age "So much for Fair Play, huh, Terry?" Mister Terrific and a Justice Society Flash, Green Lantern, and Starman kill the Rag Doll statue. (I picture it just as a little house with a burst of green energy at one end, yellow energy at the other, and some speed lines wrapped around it... An ugly statue for an ugly moment...)

Seriously, from a marketing point of view, "Comic's Ugliest Moments" would be a nigh-neverending well of creative material. Dr. Light's rape of Sue Dibny, Stealth's rape of Vril Dox, Karen Page in a South American motel room, offering a folded piece of paper in exchange for heroin, Spider-Man's having his eyeball eaten...

Hey, if Marvel Zombies statues can sell, so can these!

Greg McPhee
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 29 April 2011 at 7:46pm | IP Logged | 6  

Dr.Light's rape of Sue Dibny

====================================================

Great move to make him more evil, and put another nail in the comics coffin.

I actually thought he came across quite evil enough when he snapped in Suicide Squad # 27 and killed the young child hero Sparkler.

Nathan Greno
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 29 April 2011 at 8:29pm | IP Logged | 7  

Robert: I did sort of "reMarvelize" the character. A handsome, billionaire playboy without a flaw sort of goes against the Marvel method, at least superficially.

---

Hm.

Here's a question: Was the character really broken before he was turned into an alcoholic? Did Tony need to be "reMarvelized"? Did the character need to be "fixed"?

I really enjoyed IRON MAN comics before Tony was given* a drinking problem. I didn't feel he needed to be "fixed"... and now he's forever "fixed"!

*I use "given" because I don't feel the problem grew naturally out of the character.

Joel Biske
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 29 April 2011 at 8:33pm | IP Logged | 8  

As a teen, I thought the idea that a superhero would battle addiction (this was WELL before I read the O'Neil/Adams GL/GA) was pretty interesting, although as I reread it later in life it seemed kind of forced. Layton comment "We were simply telling another Iron Man story. The only difference was that the villain in that one was Tony Stark himself." seems to be part of the problem. I wish it had been set up better. By having the lead character the alcoholic it kind of needs to build up to a climax. And to think that something like alcoholism would be simply a one off story never to be revisited is silly. Alcoholism does define a person, if only as a state of mind NOT to drink. Anyone who has dealt with it personally or in their lives knows it doesn't just go away. 
Back to Top profile | search | www e-mail

Joel Biske
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 29 April 2011 at 8:34pm | IP Logged | 9  

*I use "given" because I don't feel the problem grew naturally out of the character.

___

See Nathan, that's why you're the story guy... you said that so much better than I did rambling on....
Back to Top profile | search | www e-mail

Greg McPhee
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 29 April 2011 at 8:39pm | IP Logged | 10  

Posted: 29 April 2011 at 8:29pm | IP Logged | 6 post reply

Robert: I did sort of "reMarvelize" the character. A handsome, billionaire playboy without a flaw sort of goes against the Marvel method, at least superficially.

---

Hm.

Here's a question: Was the character really broken before he was turned into an alcoholic? Did Tony need to be "reMarvelized"? Did the character need to be "fixed"?

I really enjoyed IRON MAN comics before Tony was given* a drinking problem. I didn't feel he needed to be "fixed"... and now he's forever "fixed"!

===================================================

As Bob Layton's quote I posted above goes, it seems that this was meant to be an issue neatly and nicely wrapped up in issue 128. This isn't the case when someone is an alcoholic. To be fair, no one had to acknowledge this element again unless they wanted to.

Amyas Hardy
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 29 April 2011 at 8:44pm | IP Logged | 11  

I grew up in an alcoholic household, and I found Tony Stark's alcoholism kind of helpful.  It helped me understand that you weren't necessarily a bad person just because you couldn't control your drinking.

Greg McPhee
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 29 April 2011 at 9:09pm | IP Logged | 12  

Amyas, I have experienced alcohoism in my family, and I agree it is an illness. A person can never stop being an alcoholic, they just have to resist the return to alcohol use.

I think in the case of IM it was one that they thought could be trotted out for a storyline and then put back in the box.

Unfortunately, this was not the case.

<< Prev Page of 7 Next >>
  Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version