Active Topics | Member List | Search | Help | Register | Login
The John Byrne Forum
Byrne Robotics > The John Byrne Forum << Prev Page of 23 Next >>
Topic: NEXT MEN 35/5 - Discussion Thread (Topic Closed Topic Closed) Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 14 April 2011 at 7:13pm | IP Logged | 1  

The ending of each issue gets me every time.  I turn the page, and there's nothing more.  On more than one occasion, I've thought my comic was missing pages.  Sure keeps the heart rate up until the next issue, though!

So, when my cardiologist asks if I've been getting more exercise, I'll just tell him I've been reading John Byrne's Next Men!
Back to Top profile | search | www

Brad Brickley
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 14 April 2011 at 7:26pm | IP Logged | 2  

I think JB's doing this to us on purpose. Great issue, only bad thing I can say it's too short!

JB, as for the late Middle English/Early Modern English era of De Vere, do you wing it on the language or have you studied up on it. That whole transition period is an interesting time for the language.

Nathan Greno
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 14 April 2011 at 8:06pm | IP Logged | 3  

Joss: Danny: eaten by a dino

Nathan: eyes torn off from their sockets

Tony: lacerated, amputated

Jazz: dying away of plague pimples

Beth: raving lunatic

----

Back to Top profile | search

Tim O Neill
Byrne Robotics Security

Posted: 15 April 2011 at 6:49am | IP Logged | 4  

Ha!  Even Mr. Moneybags isn't safe?

Tim O Neill
Byrne Robotics Security

Posted: 15 April 2011 at 7:03am | IP Logged | 5  

"Really loving the return of the Next Men, though I'm more than a little perturbed by the relentless suffering experienced by the characters."

Not speaking to this post exclusively, but I am seeing people are focusing on the violence in these issues.  It's very weird to see comic book readers complain about violence.  It's very much a part of the medium.

In this case, it's the end of a big story.  And any big story builds momentum and peril.  "Next Men" was a real sci-fi story when it first came out, and these issues follow suit. 

Maybe the violence is shocking to people because this is more of a realistic world.  The violence resonates more than if this were something more familiar from hero books, which is a more heightened reality than the world(s) of the Next Men.  And we care about these characters - so the violence is effecting people we know.  Tony is one of my favorite characters, so it hurts to see her in this situation,

I guess everything seems more violent than modern comic books.  Heroes standing around talking does make something with more action seem more intense

Joel Tesch
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 15 April 2011 at 7:35am | IP Logged | 6  

Tim, I think that's it. The violence here seems so much more "real" ...AND it's characters we've all come to care about.  I think the reaction shows what effective storytelling and characters JB has given us.

Brad Hague
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 15 April 2011 at 9:54am | IP Logged | 7  

The thought just came to me:  Should I look for references to Gil in 2112?  Has anyone done this?  Or was Gil's future plotted after 2112 came out?

Wilson Mui
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 15 April 2011 at 12:08pm | IP Logged | 8  

Another solid issue, JB.

John Byrne
Grumpy Old Guy

Posted: 15 April 2011 at 12:08pm | IP Logged | 9  

The thought just came to me: Should I look for references to Gil in 2112? Has anyone done this? Or was Gil's future plotted after 2112 came out?

••

References flow the other way. 2112, you may recall, began its existence as a completely separate entity from NEXT MEN. Only after NEXT MEN was well under way -- but before publication -- did it occur to me that they could be the same "universe". So I inserted 2112 references into NEXT MEN -- Sathanas, for instance.

This had a profound effect upon JBNM, which up to that point had been "just" a superhero book. From that moment, tho, it became something else. Something much larger.

Brennan Voboril
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 15 April 2011 at 12:45pm | IP Logged | 10  

I am so curious to see how the story goes.  

Stephen Robinson
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 15 April 2011 at 2:00pm | IP Logged | 11  

I'm torn on the whole will Tony kill Zeb question.  Certainly, he deserves it, even if his treatment of the slaves is within acceptable tolerances at the time.

SER: I'm not sure that's entirely true. I think Jefferson, Washington and even less prominent slave owners of a century earlier would have been horrified by Zeb's actions. Heck, even Hitler was apparently appalled by the lampshades (though that's possibly urban legend).

Zeb was evil even by the standards of a time in which you could own other human beings.

For comparison sakes, 150 years from now, we might be judged as an extremely homophobic society but there should be a distinction between the people who opposed gay marriage or gay adoption and those who protested funerals with "God hates fags" signs or who participated in gay bashings.

Even from a rather callous perspective, the fact that he would cripple an otherwise healthy young slave (not a sensible financial move) is evidence that Zeb is beyond the pale.

Sadly, blacks were not even treated as animals. Michael Vick was imprisoned for dog fighting and something similar with slaves was condoned during the antebellum South. Some argue that we treat animals "better" because deep down we don't need to justify that animals are not our equals. We aren't afraid of dogs having sex with our daughters nor do we pass laws forbidding you to teach your cat to read.

I am pleased that JB showed us the true cruelty of the period. It's something that is often glossed over. After all, there are no World War II versions of GONE WITH THE WIND.

Brian Miller
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 15 April 2011 at 2:09pm | IP Logged | 12  

nor do we pass laws forbidding you to teach your cat to read.

It's a good thing because my tabby's already at a 3rd grade level!

<< Prev Page of 23 Next >>
  Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version