Active Topics | Member List | Search | Help | Register | Login
The John Byrne Forum
Byrne Robotics > The John Byrne Forum << Prev Page of 23 Next >>
Topic: NEXT MEN 35/5 - Discussion Thread (Topic Closed Topic Closed) Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 14 April 2011 at 2:16pm | IP Logged | 1  

but there are reasons why Laws exist, it IS the State's job to dispense justice

But, at that time, the State was of the mind that Blacks were no better than animals. Sure, they couldn't be slaves anymore, but they were still animals. What kind of justice could be dispensed by the state in 1865 for a black against a white? None.

Back to Top profile | search

John Byrne
Grumpy Old Guy

Posted: 14 April 2011 at 2:33pm | IP Logged | 2  

Sammy Davis Jr titled his autobiography YES I CAN. I have often thought a history of Black people in America could be titled NO I'M NOT. They arrived on these shores being told they were animals, and then one day they were suddenly told they were free and equal. Same response to both.

(Touching here, again, on my anger whenever Hollywood cleans up and "improves" the Past.)

Wallace Sellars
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 14 April 2011 at 2:38pm | IP Logged | 3  

As painful as it is to read, I appreciate JB showing us an accurate depiction of the monstrous brutality of that time. (It's a John Byrne comicbook, so I didn't expect anything less.)
Back to Top profile | search | www

Joss Wierzbicki
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 14 April 2011 at 3:25pm | IP Logged | 4  

Danny: eaten by a dino

Nathan: eyes torn off from their sockets

Tony: lacerated, amputated

Jazz: dying away of plague pimples

Beth: raving lunatic

All above mentioned characters created by the great John Byrne.

You know what JB...

if Freud were still alive... YOU'D BE HIS FAVORITE PATIENT !!!

PS: don't get me wrong, I loved the issue! :-)

John Byrne
Grumpy Old Guy

Posted: 14 April 2011 at 3:45pm | IP Logged | 5  

Freud thought everything was about sex. Believe me, nothing I have been doing to my characters is about sex!

Brian Miller
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 14 April 2011 at 3:48pm | IP Logged | 6  

JB, I'm thinking this series gets better with each issue released. I can't really say why, it's just my enjoyment level seems to climb each new issue. You're just at the top of your game in all aspects right now. Kudos to you, sir.

Brad Hague
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 14 April 2011 at 3:57pm | IP Logged | 7  

You are right.  But Freud would somehow find a way to tie it all into sex, however thinly tenuous it may be:

The characters are suffering due to their responsibilities and powers; their powers come from being activated by sex; the plan to create the powers in the first place were an attempt to leverage power over other governments by leaders who were secretly compensating for a lackluster sex life; etc.

Joss Wierzbicki
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 14 April 2011 at 4:19pm | IP Logged | 8  

Be careful though JB, my sources indicate that in a parrallel dimension your 'babies' have found a retro time-travelling armor in the year 2147 and they plan to make you suffer for the next 238 years!

Seems to me that after having been thru so much misery they're the types to hold a grudge...

BWAH-HA-HA-HA !! 

Edited by Joss Wierzbicki on 14 April 2011 at 5:13pm

Martin Redmond
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 14 April 2011 at 4:26pm | IP Logged | 9  

Another really cool cover.

Edited by Martin Redmond on 14 April 2011 at 4:29pm

Paul Greer
Byrne Robotics Security

Posted: 14 April 2011 at 4:44pm | IP Logged | 10  

Argh!! I just went to my LCS and they closed early today. It's bad enough I had to wait an extra day. Now I have to wait two.This is an outrage!!!!

Joel Tesch
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 14 April 2011 at 4:46pm | IP Logged | 11  

As you saw from my earlier post, I was not only in favor of Tony putting a bullet into Zeb, but also getting some licks in before doing so.

Some good reasoning/arguments on both sides on page 2. Another thing I just thought of...the other slaves on the estate. If Tony kills Zeb and gets away, the rest of the family will surely know a slave did and the others could likely suffer extremely in retaliation.

So now I'm not in favor of it. But I'm sure once I reread the issue again, I'll want the sadistic bastard to get his once again.

Can't wait to see what happens!

Jon Risby
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 14 April 2011 at 5:28pm | IP Logged | 12  

Really loving the return of the Next Men, though I'm more than a little perturbed by the relentless suffering experienced by the characters.

Knowing that this is a finite series makes the characters' journeys that much more profound.  As we know, the death of a comic book character is generally meaningless as death in comic books is rarely permanent. With Next Men this doesn't seem to be the case.  In fact, I had to scroll through some past threads to confirm that ***** was indeed dead.

Is it possible that the "time space continuum" will again be altered to save many of the characters from their suffering or is there going to be some kind of "time loop" effect that will tie the storyline threads together? I can't wait to find out!

JB - you have once again demonstrated your mastery of the medium. Brilliant, fully formed characters and intelligent story lines with emotional depth.  A reading pleasure that is rarely experienced these days. Thanks for bringing the Next Men back.

<< Prev Page of 23 Next >>
  Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version