Active Topics | Member List | Search | Help | Register | Login
The John Byrne Forum
Byrne Robotics > The John Byrne Forum << Prev Page of 23 Next >>
Topic: NEXT MEN 35/5 - Discussion Thread (Topic Closed Topic Closed) Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 14 April 2011 at 12:40pm | IP Logged | 1  

The briefest mention of Gillian happend at the Next Men's trial, when the prosecution claimed that the Danny had put something in a trucker's head -- all of the Next Men looked at Danny with these "wha...?" expressions. 

I'm torn on the whole will Tony kill Zeb question.  Certainly, he deserves it, even if his treatment of the slaves is within acceptable tolerances at the time.  But how badly would that screw up her plan?  Is she still a hero to us if she does it?  What would that teach Verity, that blacks are cruel, too?  It's a tough call.

Back to Top profile | search

Mike O'Brien
Byrne Robotics Member
Official JB Historian

Posted: 14 April 2011 at 12:49pm | IP Logged | 2  

She's still a hero to me if she kills him.

Brian Hunt
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 14 April 2011 at 12:53pm | IP Logged | 3  

The mark of a good series is when you hate to get to the end of any individual issue, and I hated getting to the end of this one. I want more. I can't wait until next month.
Back to Top profile | search e-mail

Nathan Greno
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 14 April 2011 at 12:57pm | IP Logged | 4  

Tom: Is she still a hero to us if she does it?

---

I get where you're going, Tom -- but Zeb is waaaay past the line of cruel. The guy is a monster. If she doesn't kill him, I fear he will continue to do those horrible things. She can't lock him in prison. She really has no choice... does she? Given the context, how else do you stop someone evil like that?

Brad Hague
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 14 April 2011 at 1:00pm | IP Logged | 5  

Great issue. 

Great series. 

They don't make 'em like this anymore.  Wish they did.

How are sales?  Are we in the learned minority?  Or does this kind of book have a very limited audience due to what the big 2 make the general comic-buying public come to expect?

I am hoping sales are increasing by word of mouth and this generates a buzz, but I am so far removed from general comics I have no idea.

Again, amazing job Chief!

Mike O'Brien
Byrne Robotics Member
Official JB Historian

Posted: 14 April 2011 at 1:08pm | IP Logged | 6  

It's complicated - I am of the belief that heroes don't kill - nor am I a supporter of the state-run death penalty.

But this is a different situation.

First - this is war. This is literally part of the American Civil War. This is not a Super Hero Comic Book scenario with Fonebone Man fighting Doctor Evil.

Second - whereas I am not a supporter of the state doing someone's vengence dirty work for them, I AM a supporter of Malcolm X's quote: "If someone puts their hands on you make sure they never put their hands on anybody else again." Just do it yourself. Don't let the state do your dirty work for you.

Roger A Ott II
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 14 April 2011 at 1:23pm | IP Logged | 7  

Nathan Greno wrote:
It's wild to think there are only 4 issues left!

A mixture of excitement and sadness comes with that realization.
Back to Top profile | search | www

Ed Love
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 14 April 2011 at 1:34pm | IP Logged | 8  

The War excuse doesn't work. Neither are combatants nor is the situation one of combat, kill or be killed. This is not Tony defending herself but a simple execution whether we feel it's justified or not.

Same for the second rule. That's fine in the heat of the moment. You have the right to defend yourself and to defend others. This is not that. This is her delaying her escape in order to shoot a man in cold blood. Assuming she does shoot him. I have a hard time supporting the second rule to okaying personal vengeance. This is a special situation, but there are reasons why Laws exist, it IS the State's job to dispense justice, not personal individuals. The alternative is feuds, vindictive violent responses for all manners of slights, real and perceived insults and injustices. Even if she is freed, it doesn't give her the right to kill some one in cold blood, no matter how much the bastard deserves it. And, while freed, she is not going to get anywhere close to a fair trial for killing a white man no matter how cruel a master he was. On a personal level, I may commend her and agree with killing and torturing him. But, from a societal view, I cannot support such an action.
Back to Top profile | search | www

John Byrne
Grumpy Old Guy

Posted: 14 April 2011 at 1:41pm | IP Logged | 9  

Man o man, I love it when my readers THINK!!!

Mike O'Brien
Byrne Robotics Member
Official JB Historian

Posted: 14 April 2011 at 1:45pm | IP Logged | 10  

First: All Americans are a part of and fair game in the Civil War.

Second: Oh, I GET that the white man's laws don't support that. Slippery slope arguement is invalid. Shooting someone over a dirty look =/= putting down a slaveholder who has beaten and crippled you.    

Craig Markley
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 14 April 2011 at 1:55pm | IP Logged | 11  

There's just not enough pages per issue. I want more!!!

Mike O'Brien
Byrne Robotics Member
Official JB Historian

Posted: 14 April 2011 at 2:05pm | IP Logged | 12  

In all fairness, I should dial it back a notch. Seeing those scenes got my blood boiling.

And then to invoke law? If we want to talk about laws of the time - the law of the time dictated that everything that he did to her was perfectly in order, so... that's just pouring salt on the wound.

But do I suggest we start randomly shooting people that offend our delicate sensibilities? Of course not. Do I advocate vigilante justice? No. Do I root for people who beat and murder slaves getting their comeupance? Sure.

<< Prev Page of 23 Next >>
  Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version