Active Topics | Member List | Search | Help | Register | Login
The John Byrne Forum
Byrne Robotics > The John Byrne Forum << Prev Page of 23 Next >>
Topic: NEXT MEN 35/5 - Discussion Thread (Topic Closed Topic Closed) Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 14 April 2011 at 8:34am | IP Logged | 1  

Seriously, I hope Tony gets some licks in before putting down this miserable bastard

Nah. Just let her blow him away. It's punishment enough for him to know he's gone to meet his maker at the hands of a black woman. That's gotta be worse than any sort of "torture" she could do.

Excellent issue, JB. I'm hoping all our cast come thru this hale and hearty. If they do, I think I've figured out how. IF they do, of course.

Tony's storyline has become the most interesting to me. Even knowing what was to happen to her leg, I was still shocked when I saw it. She's got some grit, that one. ( And I loved how this issue came out the day after the anniversary of the beginning of the Civil War, and Tony was waiting for the end of it. Was this on purpose?)

Wondering just what the hell is going to happen to Nathan.

Interesting that Jasmine's delirium brings the name "Nathan" to her lips.

This is just top-notch work, JB. ( As I was reading, I found myself wondering if the passage of so much time between series had honed your craft and maybe things wouldn't have been so "good" had this come out in '95.)

Back to Top profile | search

Brian Miller
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 14 April 2011 at 8:35am | IP Logged | 2  

Also thought it was very interesting that Gil hasn't let Bethany who he is just yet.

Matt Hawes
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 14 April 2011 at 8:38am | IP Logged | 3  

Jesus wrote:
...Given my disappointment, the store owner was nice enough to lend me a copy: he doesn't plan to return the batch until next week and I have time to return the copy to him. When I asked him how IDW replaces these things he wasn't too clear. If they don't print another set I'm just going to keep the damaged one...

Most publishers print over a certain amount past the original order numbers for such things like reorders or damage replacements.* It is up to the publishers discretion whether or not the retailer has to return the damaged copies when they receive the replacements, and if the amount is a small one the publisher will not request the books be returned, but the retailer is expected to destroy those copies.

*On the issue of publishers over-printing for damages and reorders, this became a big area of contention with Marvel Comics and retailers a decade ago when Marvel's then-president Bill Jemas announced Marvel would have a "no overprint" policy. It was a transparent attempt to spur speculation (and immediate sales) by Jemas more than anything, but it was hurting retailers and readers.

And back to the issue at hand:

I cast my vote for Zeb biting a bullet! JB sure knows how to keep people waiting for the next issue, don't he?
Back to Top profile | search | www

Andrew Davey
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 14 April 2011 at 9:06am | IP Logged | 4  

Great issue! The pain keeps coming. Is there any hope for our heros? I also hope Zeb gets what's coming to him. Crazy-Beth sure picked some interesting times and places to park her friends. The timelines are going to get all mucked up.

Got the issue yesterday, the day it came out, and was lucky enough to grab the last issue off the shelf. It was a LCS I have caught up with before while on the road for work (in Sarasota). I am thinking they better be ordering more issues if I grabbed the last one on the day they came out.

Now another 4 weeks, arrgghh.

Back to Top profile | search e-mail

Joel Tesch
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 14 April 2011 at 9:21am | IP Logged | 5  

"Also thought it was very interesting that Gil hasn't let Bethany who he is just yet. "

Makes sense. Remember that the other Next Men don't know that Gillian was living in Danny's head. As far as they know, Gillian was Danny's sister that died as an infant in the Greenery. Gil's identity reveal to Beth will require quite a bit of explanation. Best to wait until things calm down!  

Nathan Greno
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 14 April 2011 at 10:30am | IP Logged | 6  

Matt: Nathan, as a shop owner I can tell you that while there are a fair amount of customers that would not mind the blunting of a corner and still purchase the comic book, the majority of comic shop buyers would complain and expect to buy an undamaged copy. And to be fair, this happens even with grocery stores, where dented cans, or crushed boxes of cereal and such are marked down in price because the customer will not pay full price due to the condition of the container. And think about the fact that such product, unlike comics, is not considered to be a potential "collector's item."

---

Hey Matt-

I know that's how many people think -- but I feel the comic industry would be healthier if they didn't.

When I buy a magazine I don't check all the corners and look for dings and minor damage... that way of thinking seems crazy to me. I save my Playboys -- I have a subscription. They get a little banged up in the mail. So what? Am I going to sell all this stuff someday? No. I collect these things because it's fun -- I'm happy to own the comics in my collection.  

To each their own............................ I read my copy of JBNM yesterday!

Nathan Greno
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 14 April 2011 at 10:32am | IP Logged | 7  

It's wild to think there are only 4 issues left!

Derek S. Wilczynski
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 14 April 2011 at 10:36am | IP Logged | 8  

Enjoyed each of the issues, including 35/5.

Even though I read the original run, and 2112, it's been so long that I simply can't remember what happened, other than bits and pieces.

Can anyone recommend a good web site to get caught up?  I know I could buy the phone books and re-read, but I'm looking for more of a summary.

Mike O'Brien
Byrne Robotics Member
Official JB Historian

Posted: 14 April 2011 at 10:41am | IP Logged | 9  

Well, the first issue of this run pretty much sums it up, Derek.

I am smitten with this book, but I think I've been away from comics too long, because it's killing me to tear through the 22 pages and then to have to wait a month for the next bit.

I guess I've lost my taste for serialized fiction...! But this is just thrilling stuff. Not thrilled that it's ending - this is, in my opinion, JB's best work since the original JBNM, and the first that I can really get into since Doom Patrol, but hopefully the follow-up series will keep the flame alive... I hope!!

John Byrne
Grumpy Old Guy

Posted: 14 April 2011 at 12:01pm | IP Logged | 10  

…hopefully the follow-up series will keep the flame alive...

••

And that should be a flame about THIS high. . .

John Byrne
Grumpy Old Guy

Posted: 14 April 2011 at 12:02pm | IP Logged | 11  

Remember that the other Next Men don't know that Gillian was living in Danny's head.

••

A rather important point that seems to have been lost upon many readers. Bad writing on my part, or yet another manifestation of that tendency to impart to the characters things than only the readers know?

Brian Miller
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 14 April 2011 at 12:06pm | IP Logged | 12  

No, I knew she hadn't been introduced before, I was just figuring Gil would have fillered her in by now. I guess she has to wait till issue 8 like the rest of us.

<< Prev Page of 23 Next >>
  Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version