Active Topics | Member List | Search | Help | Register | Login
The John Byrne Forum
Byrne Robotics > The John Byrne Forum << Prev Page of 23 Next >>
Topic: NEXT MEN 35/5 - Discussion Thread (Topic Closed Topic Closed) Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 13 April 2011 at 7:15pm | IP Logged | 1  

What a terrific issue. Have already read through it twice. What a journey for these characters and the readers. Can't wait for next issue. The cover alone for (3)6 has already wet my appetite.

Favorite moment for this issue was Antonia at the gravesite.

With that being said  I hope she blows Zeb's head off.

Back to Top profile | search e-mail

Brad Hague
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 13 April 2011 at 7:38pm | IP Logged | 2  

Loved the art!

Poor Nathan!

Poor Jasmine!

Wondering about Beth and Jack.  I have no clue what could happen to them, or if anything even should!

Back to Top profile | search

Samuel P. Barden
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 13 April 2011 at 9:11pm | IP Logged | 3  

This issue was slightly less painful than the last issue, yet another great issue.

I wish Verity could stay with the Next Men post the end.  She's great.
Back to Top profile | search e-mail

Nathan Greno
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 13 April 2011 at 10:25pm | IP Logged | 4  

Thad: My LCS received damaged copies of JBNM 35/5 this week so I have to wait another week.  Heavy sigh.

---

Wonder how bad the damage was...?? If you can still read it, it's worth buying!

Nathan Greno
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 13 April 2011 at 10:43pm | IP Logged | 5  

Jesus: My store's JBNM batch was damaged as well. The corner at the top of the spines look like somebody tried to dog ear them all at once.

---

Really? That's the "damage"?!

People are missing out on reading the new JBNM today because of a dog ear??

I look at comics like magazines -- the difference is I save my comics to reread.

Nathan Greno
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 13 April 2011 at 10:54pm | IP Logged | 6  

I REALLY enjoyed this issue! Tony's story is amazing. Poor Nathan. Poor Jazz. The art is incredible. The colors are really punchy. I love everything about JBNM. It's a great comic.

The wait for each new issue drives me wild -- haven't felt like this in a long time. I kinda thought I outgrew this feeling... glad to know that isn't the case.

This comic is magic. Love it. Nice job, JB!

Nathan Greno
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 13 April 2011 at 10:57pm | IP Logged | 7  

Michael: I hope she blows Zeb's head off.

--

I agree. That a**hole needs a bullet in the head.

Tom French
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 14 April 2011 at 4:30am | IP Logged | 8  

I've read the issue three or four times now -- details start to stand out.  Here's my favorite:

The first time we see Tony with a crutch.  Look how beautifully her body is placed so her weight rests against the wood.  Damn, that's some good stuff...

Joel Tesch
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 14 April 2011 at 4:53am | IP Logged | 9  

I agree. That a**hole needs a bullet in the head.

But not before his own "learnin' pole" style whipping session. Seriously, I hope Tony gets some licks in before putting down this miserable bastard. Of course, she has more important plans in mind to risk it by caring careless.

Great issue. Can't wait to see what happens next.

Tim O Neill
Byrne Robotics Security

Posted: 14 April 2011 at 7:03am | IP Logged | 10  

Heart wrenching moment for Tony - Zeb's final punishment is one of my top dreads.  Perfectly rendered reveal, JB.  It made me gasp.  That would be impossible in the modern world with pain killers.  I just can't imagine the pain to endure that.  But that's what they did to slaves.

This was such a significant chapter for Tony. The quiet moment she has talking with Absolom before she leaves is the compassion she doesn't always reveal.  I guess she can't reveal that side, no matter what timeline she is stuck in.

Jumping between moments in time is pretty wild - the art for each time period seems pitched just right.  It's jarring to go from the sterile future to the southern sequences, where I can feel the humidity from those heavy images.

This series is blowing me away!!!

Carmen Bernardo
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 14 April 2011 at 7:53am | IP Logged | 11  

Gotta say that I am impressed with this miniseries so far.  It makes me want to punch myself that I didn't follow John Byrne's original Next Men run when it published under the Dark Horse banner.

I'm kind of rooted to the subplots concerning our time-lost protagonists right now.  I'm waiting to see just how John resolves the mess that Bethany and the others have found themselves in.  At least one of her teammates seems to be having the idyllic life, if you call a life spent as a Catholic priest in a potentially messed-up future timeline "idyllic".

Being somewhat of a history buff, I'm currently gripped by the subplot involving Nathan.  If I may make a guess, "Caesar" in this particular storyline might be someone we're familiar with through the Shakespeare play.  The way they're referring to "Germans" makes me wonder if this is the outset of the campaigns of that particular leader whose actions would go on to set the stage for world history as we know it.  After all, part of the reasoning he used for this venture that he would start out on was to "protect allies" from encroachments by certain Germanic tribes in their region...

I suppose we'll have to find out just who we're being given a glimpse of in the upcoming issues.

Matt Hawes
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 14 April 2011 at 8:29am | IP Logged | 12  

Nathan wrote:
...Really? That's the "damage"?!

People are missing out on reading the new JBNM today because of a dog ear??

I look at comics like magazines -- the difference is I save my comics to reread...

Nathan, as a shop owner I can tell you that while there are a fair amount of customers that would not mind the blunting of a corner and still purchase the comic book, the majority of comic shop buyers would complain and expect to buy an undamaged copy. And to be fair, this happens even with grocery stores, where dented cans, or crushed boxes of cereal and such are marked down in price because the customer will not pay full price due to the condition of the container. And think about the fact that such product, unlike comics, is not considered to be a potential "collector's item."

The damage described would greatly affect the "guide value" of a comic, and that is enough for the average customer to reject a dented copy, despite the fact that the comic can still be read fine.

I can honestly say, as a retailer, I cringe each time I get a shipment with comics that have even the slightest ding as I know chances are many customers will not accept the copies and I will have to report them as damaged. And, in the comics industry, due to the nature of things and the perception of everything being a "colletcible," the only true recourse a retailer has is to ship back the damaged copies in order to receive undamaged replacements, which usually won't ship until the following week.

That said, my copies were in fine shape, thankfully.

I'll say this, JB really does put his characters through the ringer!!
Back to Top profile | search | www

<< Prev Page of 23 Next >>
  Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version