Active Topics | Member List | Search | Help | Register | Login
The John Byrne Forum
Byrne Robotics > The John Byrne Forum << Prev Page of 4 Next >>
Topic: Jor-El & Lara escaped Krypton (Topic Closed Topic Closed) Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 11 April 2011 at 2:48pm | IP Logged | 1  

What a great cover, I dig the vibrant mod colors and all that.

I didn't know Neal Adams did covers on Superboy, they are great, colors included.

It seems like a pretty cool comic to me... :/

Edited by Martin Redmond on 11 April 2011 at 2:53pm
Back to Top profile | search

Eric Smearman
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 11 April 2011 at 2:57pm | IP Logged | 2  

Michael Todd: the story you recalled was, in fact, in 2 issues of
SUPERMAN FAMILY. I really enjoyed that one.
Back to Top profile | search e-mail

Martin Redmond
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 11 April 2011 at 3:17pm | IP Logged | 3  

It looks like 172 is by Don Heck. All written by Frank Robbins, glad you brought my attention to this.

Wallace Sellars
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 11 April 2011 at 4:24pm | IP Logged | 4  

Based on the cover, I'd like to read that story, too.
Back to Top profile | search | www

Martin Redmond
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 11 April 2011 at 5:30pm | IP Logged | 5  

All the covers are awesome. I like when Superboy decides he'll only travel underground from now on. Floor boards be damned.

Michael Andrew Gonoude
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 11 April 2011 at 9:41pm | IP Logged | 6  

Martin Redmond (in part): "I didn't know Neal Adams did covers on Superboy, they are great, colors included."

Oh, Martin, Neal did all but a handful of Silver Age Superboy covers between #s 143 - 178, and inked some of those penciled by Curt Swan.  THIS one has remained my all-time favorite All-Adams Superboy cover (though there are MANY runners-up!):File:Superboy Vol 1 160.jpg

If I've posted this link correctly:

Superboy/Covers - DC Comics Database

you can enjoy them, too!

Edited by Michael Andrew Gonoude on 12 April 2011 at 8:16am

Tony Midyett
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 11 April 2011 at 10:39pm | IP Logged | 7  

Terrific anatomy on that piece!  ^

John Byrne
Grumpy Old Guy

Posted: 12 April 2011 at 4:55am | IP Logged | 8  

A classic example of "Superboy Syndrome" on that 160 cover!

Note, too, from a historical perspective, that it reflects the almost pathological need to AGE the characters that began to sneak into comics around this time. Even tho Superboy's adventures were set in an undefined Past, so there was no need whatsoever to reference the passage of time, the top copy on the cover bumped him from "Superman when he was a BOY" to "Superman when he was a TEEN". Around this time the Legion of Superheroes also went thru puberty rather dramatically!

Stephen Robinson
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 12 April 2011 at 9:57am | IP Logged | 9  

A classic example of "Superboy Syndrome" on that 160 cover!Note, too, from a historical perspective, that it reflects the almost pathological need to AGE the characters that began to sneak into comics around this time. Even tho Superboy's adventures were set in an undefined Past, so there was no need whatsoever to reference the passage of time, the top copy on the cover bumped him from "Superman when he was a BOY" to "Superman when he was a TEEN". Around this time the Legion of Superheroes also went thru puberty rather dramatically!

SER: Was there an attempt by DC around this time to make Superboy and Robin and other characters "hipper" to compete with Marvel? So, they wound up "aging" them to their mid-teens?

I always thought this was a mistake in that Superman and Batman were certainly "cool" in my mind and technically were the same age as Tony Stark, Bruce Banner, and Steve Rogers. The solution would have been to stop writing Superman and Batman and Flash and Green Lantern as if they were in the mid-40s but were actually the eternally 29-year-olds they actually were. Even Bruce Wayne at the oldest would have been younger than Captain Kirk.

Oddly enough, the Teen Titans becoming 16-17 had the effect of really aging Superman, Batman, and the others. They now had almost adult "children."
Back to Top profile | search | www

John Byrne
Grumpy Old Guy

Posted: 12 April 2011 at 10:06am | IP Logged | 10  

Oddly enough, the Teen Titans becoming 16-17 had the effect of really aging Superman, Batman, and the others. They now had almost adult "children."

••

DC's "official" response to those who did the math when Robin suddenly sprang forward in age, was to insist that Bruce had been younger than we had supposed when he began his career as Batman, AND when he adopted Dick as his ward. I have heard the beginning of Batman's career scaled back as far as him being 18, and perhaps as young as 21 when he teamed up with the 12 year old Robin.

Which, reflecting on the DOONESBURY strip quoted in another thread today, does start to lean toward the creepy!

Aaron Smith
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 12 April 2011 at 12:02pm | IP Logged | 11  

I hate when people try to give specific ages to comics characters. What's wrong with just using what you might call age-archetypes?

Spider-Man and the Human Torch are (or should be) teenagers.

Captain America, Daredevil, Clark Kent, Barry Allen, etc are adults but still young.

Reed Richards, Dr. Strange, Nick Fury are older adults.

Aunt May is elderly.

It's so simple, but some people have this urge to complicate it.

Back to Top profile | search | www e-mail

John Byrne
Grumpy Old Guy

Posted: 12 April 2011 at 12:32pm | IP Logged | 12  

Aside from Superman being eternally 29, the first time I was really aware of the ages of the characters was when someone wrote in to FANTASTIC FOUR asking, and Stan informed us that Reed and Ben were in their late thirties, Sue in her twenties, and Johnny just turned 16. This was probably circa 1962 or 63. Reed and Ben would therefore have been just about the same age as Stan himself.

Probably did not seem unreasonable, at the time, to make these pronouncements. Marvel was still "The Little Company that Couldn't", and it has long been assumed that some of the more non-traditional elements Stan and the gang tried out -- such as the very obvious passing of real time in the early issues -- was due to their expectations that the new books would fail fairly quickly. As I have pointed out before, we see the brakes being applied, as far as the passage of time, very hard once it becomes apparent that Marvel is NOT going to "go away" this time. (The failure of THE INCREDIBLE HULK must've put the fear of Dog into 'em for a moment, tho!)

<< Prev Page of 4 Next >>
  Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version