Active Topics | Member List | Search | Help | Register | Login
The John Byrne Forum
Byrne Robotics > The John Byrne Forum Page of 4 Next >>
Topic: Jor-El & Lara escaped Krypton (Topic Closed Topic Closed) Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 10 April 2011 at 11:45pm | IP Logged | 1  

Does anyone recall this Silver-Age Superboy story where Superboy discovers Jor-El & Lara in suspended animation inside of a rocket?  It wasn't supposed to be an "imaginary tale" but to the best of my knowledge was never mentioned again. 

Back to Top profile | search | www

Michael Todd
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 10 April 2011 at 11:50pm | IP Logged | 2  

And yes, in the story it really was Superboy's parents, not imposters.

Michael Andrew Gonoude
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 11 April 2011 at 12:19am | IP Logged | 3  

What a waste of a Neal Adams cover and Bob Brown/Wally Wood art...
Back to Top profile | search

Michael Lee
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 11 April 2011 at 3:59am | IP Logged | 4  

That art looked great in the Australian black & white reprint.
Back to Top profile | search | www e-mail

John Byrne
Grumpy Old Guy

Posted: 11 April 2011 at 4:24am | IP Logged | 5  

I have posted that cover many times here, in different threads, most often as an example of how DC didn't "get it".

Dan Avenell
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 11 April 2011 at 4:48am | IP Logged | 6  

It does make me want to read the story though... if it is never referenced again, or proclaimed an imaginary story, maybe it's that there, er, 'space-intoxication'?

And why would this situation, as the cover exclaims, be 'Superboy's darkest secret?' a. He discovers them, and doesn't seem keen to keep it a secret from the pages posted... and b. How is it his 'darkest' secret? I guess he doesn't have many dark secrets to compare it to...

John Byrne
Grumpy Old Guy

Posted: 11 April 2011 at 5:09am | IP Logged | 7  

…why would this situation, as the cover exclaims, be 'Superboy's darkest secret?' a. He discovers them, and doesn't seem keen to keep it a secret from the pages posted... and b. How is it his 'darkest' secret? I guess he doesn't have many dark secrets to compare it to...

••

SPOILER:

INVISO TEXT (Click or highlight to reveal):
In the story, Superboy discovers that Jor-El and Lara, altho in "suspended animation", are both suffering from "kryptonite poisoning", and if he is somehow able to revive them, they will both die almost instantly. So, he leaves the capsule drifting in space, and doesn't tell anyone about it.

As I have noted before, this story was a half-gassed attempt to shoe-horn some Marvel-style angst into the characters.

Dan Avenell
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 11 April 2011 at 5:14am | IP Logged | 8  

Genuine laugh out loud... I suppose that sort of makes sense then... thanks for the answer!

Bill Conway
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 11 April 2011 at 6:50am | IP Logged | 9  

I believe we talked about this in another thread and I think that the DC editors quickly realized that they stepped in something if they allowed this story to become "canon". It was never mentioned again and we never got the follow-up that this story begged.

I seem to remember that the DC Editors side-stepped the issue by discounting this story as a imaginary tale in a later letter column. Unfortunately, I don't have those old Superboy issues any more. If anyone out there has them handy, pls skim thru the letter cols of then next 6 or 7 issues. Thx.

PS. Wouldnt it be great to have a web-site devoted to nothing but letter col reprints? Hm.

Andrew Hess
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 11 April 2011 at 9:09am | IP Logged | 10  

This was right about the time I was buying comics as a kid, and it was a revelation to me when JB posted this cover here on the Forum. I never had never seen this before, and hadn't heard of it at all.

Did any later writer ever feel the need to explain this away, or follow up? Nope, just ignored it through the 70s and 80s and it went away.

With Crisis on Infinite Earths and "Man of Steel," no need to deal with it at all. It doesn't exist any more. THAT is the way to handle embarrassing stories. 

BTW - the "Wally Wood" inks really brighten up that art. I wonder if it was the real Wally inking this, or one of his assistants.

Michael Todd
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 11 April 2011 at 9:11am | IP Logged | 11  

I suppose that given this was a pre-crisis story we could just chalk it up to being a Superboy story set on some other Earth.

Brad Brickley
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 11 April 2011 at 9:19am | IP Logged | 12  

It's a story your read and forget right away. 

Page of 4 Next >>
  Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version