Active Topics | Member List | Search | Help | Register | Login
The John Byrne Forum
Byrne Robotics > The John Byrne Forum << Prev Page of 5 Next >>
Topic: Superman Vol. 2 #1 (1987) (Topic Closed Topic Closed) Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 10 April 2011 at 4:12am | IP Logged | 1  

I loved Clark, felt like I've never Meg him before. Superman? Sure.
Clark? Never met.

Also...fell in LOVE with Lois Lane.

Back to Top profile | search e-mail

Robbie Parry
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 10 April 2011 at 4:46am | IP Logged | 2  

The responses in this topic are great. I think it's so interesting to read about people's thoughts at the time the issue was released in addition to their thoughts on the story.

Sometimes, when I'm passing my old house (the one I lived in from 1980-1989), many memories come back of various things in my life. One of those memories is of Mr. Byrne's Superman run. My old house is still there and although some of the shops are different, I can pass my old house and think about how I'd return to my home with a Superman issue written and drawn by Mr. Byrne.

Back to Top profile | search

Tim O Neill
Byrne Robotics Security

Posted: 10 April 2011 at 9:04am | IP Logged | 3  

I didn't buy "Man of Steel" or the regular Superman titles by JB when they came out - I had stopped collecting and was in my senior year of high school.  The first time I knew about it was when JB was featured in a USA Today article on the series.  It was the first I'd seen your name in years, JB!  I was delighted to see you were still making comic books, and the article was awesome.

When I went back to reading while in college, I sought out JB's stuff and picked up the trade.  It's excellent work and I always have a copy in the collection.  For a while there, the trade was the most stolen book in my collection.  I would use it to give to comic book friends or kids and then just replace it for myself.  I've ended up buying several copies!  So while I didn't get to buy it on release, it's still a favorite.

Didier Yvon Paul Fayolle
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 10 April 2011 at 11:18pm | IP Logged | 4  

An American friend sent a copy for me. And I was hooked.

I knew JB from his Marvel tenure on various titles ( after I discovered AF ).

And as much as I love this cover, my preferred one is the one from issue 5.

Back to Top profile | search | www

Garry Porter II
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 11 April 2011 at 10:02am | IP Logged | 5  

this particular issue, Man of Steel #3, and Action Comics #586(along with the Legends #1) were the reasons why i became a serious reader in the first place.

looking at that cover brings back a flood of memories(all good btw).  i remember when i saw that cover.  the sense of discovery.  the discovery that Superman can be beaten in a fight.  things are now unpredictable with Superman.  discovering who Metallo is, eventhough Superman is my favorite hero.  and, discovering Clark Kent as the real STAR of the comicbook.

John Byrne
Grumpy Old Guy

Posted: 11 April 2011 at 10:13am | IP Logged | 6  

Question for you, JB: How long before you got the offer had DC been contemplating a Superman reboot?

••

Not long. Some time during CRISIS, as I understood it. Luckily for them, / had been thinking about it since 1978!

Mike O'Brien
Byrne Robotics Member
Official JB Historian

Posted: 11 April 2011 at 12:05pm | IP Logged | 7  

By the time JB was leaving Marvel to do Superman, I was just about out-growing "comics" and was following the artists instead of the characters... but not quite 100%...

JB was my main interest, but in my 11 year old head I couldn't bring myself to buy DC books. They were old and boring and all looked like they had Curt Swan or Carmine Infantino art (which was vile to my young eyes) and were filled with the silly boring characters from Super-Friends. I couldn't do it.

So I continued reading Marvel books - Daredevil was doing interesting things and despite the unreadable shit stories, X-Men had good art (JR Jr, Art Adams, Alan Davis, etc), but then I go to my (then) local store, Best of Two Worlds, where (then) employee Brian Hibbs had set up a giant "Man of Steel" display in the window - using the first issue to make a giant Superman logo in the window and there was much fanfare.

Ohh... I really wanted to read it... but what if someone caught me reading a DC book? I'd be the laughing stock of the 6th grade! So I didn't.

A year or so goes by, and I secretly peek at the issues at my local 7-11, but still, I don't buy them, and am rapidly losing interest in the few Marvel books I'm reading. (In retrospect, due likely to the lack of JB).

Finally, I'm at the local SF convention (this is before WonderCon existed, much less before it left Oakland for SF) and Art Adams is giving a Q&A about the Action Comics Annual he did. I sit in the small crowd awe-struck - WRITEN BY JOHN BYRNE! DRAWN BY ART ADAMS! BATMAN and SUPERMAN! FIGHTIN' A HOT CHICK VAMPIRE! I couldn't resist anymore. I bought it. I read it cover to cover till it fell apart.

And from then on, I was hooked on JB's Superman. And it was also the last time I didn't follow JB onto a new project.

He's even gotten me to buy a Star Trek book, for Chrissake! And one with Dinosaurs! Ugh! But as long as it's got "John Byrne" on the credits line, I know it'll be worth reading.

Brian Tait
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 11 April 2011 at 6:30pm | IP Logged | 8  

I bought it because of JB.
He had taken the FF "back to basics" and it worked so well I still miss him on that title.
With Superman, I never picked up anything with him in it. For me, he was a stale, dull, boring character with too much silly baggage.
JB so completely revitalized Superman for the first time in my life Superman had become a must buy. Stripped down and updated.....it was a beautiful piece of work.

Still stands up today.

Gene Best
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 11 April 2011 at 6:42pm | IP Logged | 9  

The Frank Miller Batman books excepted, I wasn't reading anything put out by DC.  The only reason I picked up Man of Steel or Superman was because of John Byrne.

Thomas Moudry
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 11 April 2011 at 6:53pm | IP Logged | 10  

>>>Not long. Some time during CRISIS, as I understood it. Luckily for them,
/ had been thinking about it since 1978!<<<

Ha! How much of that seven years of thinking figured into MAN OF STEEL?

Stephen Churay
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 11 April 2011 at 7:24pm | IP Logged | 11  

Not to derail this thread but one of the coolest character designs I
think JB had for his run on Superman was the Silver Banshee. She
had a cool mystical power, very sleek, sexy, but real creepy too. I just
needed to share.

Tony Midyett
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 12 April 2011 at 4:56am | IP Logged | 12  

Question for you, JB: How long before you got the offer had DC been contemplating a Superman reboot?

••

Not long. Some time during CRISIS, as I understood it. Luckily for them, / had been thinking about it since 1978!

-------------

Interesting!  How would your Superman re-launch have been different, if you'd launched it in '78, JB?

<< Prev Page of 5 Next >>
  Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version