Active Topics | Member List | Search | Help | Register | Login
The John Byrne Forum
Byrne Robotics > The John Byrne Forum << Prev Page of 6 Next >>
Topic: Jim Shooter: Hank Pym Not a Wife Beater (Topic Closed Topic Closed) Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 30 March 2011 at 4:05pm | IP Logged | 1  

I just happened to be reading the Phoenix the Untold Story special over the weekend and in the round table discussion at the back JB mentioned that Shooter was looking for a hero that would become a villain and specifically mentioned Hank Pym in that discussion.  Makes it hard to believe that he didn't intend on Hank belting Jan.

I thought Stern did a great job bringing him back to respectability by having him take down Egghead in #230.

And I loved that JB brought the Pyms back together in Avengers West Coast. 
Back to Top profile | search e-mail

Matt Wieringo
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 30 March 2011 at 4:16pm | IP Logged | 2  

I have selective memory when it comes to comic book stories. I choose not to remember anything after the appearance of Yellowjacket and the Wasp in MARVEL TEAM-UP. That's how I like to remember their relationship. Those two issues were two of the best comics ever produced, in my opinion.
Back to Top profile | search | www

Martin Redmond
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 30 March 2011 at 6:15pm | IP Logged | 3  

I don't know if she's covering a black eye... she still looks hot in that jumpsuit / sunglasses combo.
Back to Top profile | search

Steven Myers
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 30 March 2011 at 7:31pm | IP Logged | 4  

Shooter was the only writer who had previously wrote Hank as a loser who couldn't win at anything.  Conway had him rejoin the Avengers to please Jan.  Then Shooter turned it into him joining because he couldn't do anything else right.

I absolutely believe Shooter's whole goal with Pym was to show Claremont and Byrne the "proper" way to turn a good guy to a bad guy.

As far a writing, Shooter sucks.

Back to Top profile | search | www

Jason Czeskleba
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 30 March 2011 at 8:20pm | IP Logged | 5  

I think Shooter has written some very good stuff, notably his work on Legion of Super-Heroes and much of his first Avengers run.  He's also written some really awful stuff.  

Jason Czeskleba
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 30 March 2011 at 8:27pm | IP Logged | 6  

Michael Penn wrote:
I think it is quite wrong to try to conglomerate "every single appearance" of characters when that "history" extends for decades, not only because inconsistencies might not be able to be ironed out, but much worse because comicbook character does not exist in even a  facsimile of real time such that there should be an accumulation of experience that will fundamentally change the primary nature of the character.

Excellent point.  The thinking displayed by Shooter is the same line of reasoning that allowed Marv Wolfman to transform Dr. Light from a serious villain to a laughingstock.  "He's failed dozens of times, so he must be an incompetent boob!"  I mean, if we sit down and look at their cumulative history, every villain from the Joker to Dr. Doom has been defeated dozens of times.  Are they all incompentent boobs?  Every Marvel character has suffered dozens of personal setbacks and failed relationships, and has made dozens of mistakes in their life.  Is every Marvel hero's life a "litany of failure"?

Edited by Jason Czeskleba on 30 March 2011 at 8:31pm

John Byrne
Grumpy Old Guy

Posted: 31 March 2011 at 6:04am | IP Logged | 7  

The thinking displayed by Shooter is the same line of reasoning that allowed Marv Wolfman to transform Dr. Light from a serious villain to a laughingstock. "He's failed dozens of times, so he must be an incompetent boob!" I mean, if we sit down and look at their cumulative history, every villain from the Joker to Dr. Doom has been defeated dozens of times. Are they all incompentent boobs? Every Marvel character has suffered dozens of personal setbacks and failed relationships, and has made dozens of mistakes in their life. Is every Marvel hero's life a "litany of failure"?

••

This is the mentality of the reader who wants every single thing ever written about a character to be as true and valid as every other thing every written about a character. These are the ones who operate as if they imagine there is some kind of comprehensive bible for every character -- and always has been. As if, say, Stan Lee and Jack Kirby started out on FANTASTIC FOUR with every story, every character turn, every plot nuance, firmly in their heads from Day One. So, if we have a character like Hank Pym, who has been thru a lot of changes over the span of his published history, then each and every one of those changes must have been deliberate. They were all planned out from the start, and not a single one was due to a writer jumbling the character's history, or, worse, wanting to make his "mark" on the character. Has Pym changed his costume 87 times? Well, surely that was always part of The Plan, and was meant to show he's a complete nutball, right?

Of course, this is a classic example of Shooter talking out of more sides of his mouth than any human being should be allowed to have. This is, after all, the same Jim Shooter who has often declared that "continuity" should mean a hole that gets punched in the wall of the hero's HQ in one issue is seen being repaired in the next. NOT a pathological devotion to every jot and tittle of the character's publishing history.

Part of the problem, as noted before, is the inability of some fans to leave their fan mentality at the door when they turn pro. As I have often quoted Len Wein as saying, "the first story you'd do as a fan should be the last story you'd do as a pro". So, an encyclopedic knowledge of a character's history should not be a reason to make every story encyclopedic. We can be selective.

Sad thing is, back in the days when I was starting in The Biz, and many of the Old Guard were still there to keep a hand on the tiller, the readers who demanded absolute fidelity to every detail of a character's history were considered the oddballs. They were the ones we saw at conventions, looking wild eyed as they asked the attending pros questions about some forgotten scrap of minutia. They were the ones, not to put too fine a point on it, that we MOCKED.

Slowly and steadily, as the industry shrank, they became the ones we LISTENED TO. In many instances, they became the ones PRODUCING the books!

Michael Penn
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 31 March 2011 at 6:55am | IP Logged | 8  

It was interesting for me recently reading the contemporary letters commenting on the "Death of Gwen Stacy" storyline to note that Gerry Conway et al. tried to explain themselves by saying the characters often seem to have a life of their own, by which I take it that he meant, "hey guys, kinda loosen up, because, ya know, in a big way, we make this stuff up as we go along, and sometimes stuff we do looks huge but it's ultimately tiny." And sure enough, going back over those issues, as major as Gwen's death seemed, by the time Len Wein took over, Gwen was almost utterly irrelevant. 

I bet that was rather a lesson learned from Stan Lee, who "killed" Gwen's father, somebody who had been a significant supporting character for many years, and then... poof! He was all but forgotten. And yet Spider-Man was still Spider-Man, 100%.

In my re-reading of ASM, I'm up to issue #172, and I have to say that the consistency of the character from Lee-Ditko all the way to 1977 has been remarkable. The only bump -- thankfully brief! -- was Roy Thomas' few issues.

(I truly respect that Thomas loved great art in other forms, but when he tried to slam into his comicbooks a version of those other tales, for me, they fell very flat, e.g., re-doing KING KONG in his few ASM issues, or re-doing Wagner in "Thor.")

John Byrne
Grumpy Old Guy

Posted: 31 March 2011 at 8:27am | IP Logged | 9  

It was interesting for me recently reading the contemporary letters commenting on the "Death of Gwen Stacy" storyline to note that Gerry Conway et al. tried to explain themselves by saying the characters often seem to have a life of their own, by which I take it that he meant, "hey guys, kinda loosen up, because, ya know, in a big way, we make this stuff up as we go along, and sometimes stuff we do looks huge but it's ultimately tiny." And sure enough, going back over those issues, as major as Gwen's death seemed, by the time Len Wein took over, Gwen was almost utterly irrelevant.

••

I'm not sure I can agree with that. I have said many a time that I wish Gwen had simply left, as did Peter's previous girlfriends. Her death seems to have drawn a line thru Spider-Man's history that no amount of effort can erase. The canon is BGD (Before Gwen's Death) and AGD (After Gwen's Death), and as that event moves further and further into the Past -- hard to believe it happened before I turned Pro!! -- for all too many fans and fans-turned-pro it is a moment in TIME, something that must be addressed in terms of YEARS having passed, not the usual convenient "a while ago".

The death of Gwen Stacy SHOULD have been rendered inconsequential by the passage of time (like the death of Franklin Storm, or the death of Larry Trask), but it seems that cannot be. Not for some people.

Michael Penn
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 31 March 2011 at 9:00am | IP Logged | 10  

And I'm sure I can agree with that!

Just reading over the ASM issues up to 1977, though, Gwen retreated decidedly into the background. After the Clone storyline, she was only sporadically mentioned, sometimes not even by name (e.g., "the girl I loved"). But I haven't read these issues since the 70s, I must add, so where I left off the other night was with Marla Madison's Spider-Slayer, and much of what I'm reading is taking a while to come back to me so there have been surprises given that I've forgotten a whole bunch. 

And I certainly can't say that I know for a fact that these merely occasional references to Gwen did not intentionally keep her significance "alive." Also, I'm not right now re-reading the other Spider-Man comicbooks of that time, SPECTACULAR and TEAM UP, so maybe the Gwen bright line was drawn much more clearly than I have perceived.

I wonder how much the Death of Gwen Stacy played on the minds of comicbook creators back then? Was there a sense of "oh, we can do THAT now, eh?!"

Matt Reed
Byrne Robotics Security
Robotmod

Posted: 31 March 2011 at 9:26am | IP Logged | 11  

I could be absolutely off the mark here, but because SPECTACULAR was Peter's book focused more on his personal cast of characters and AMAZING was Spider-Man's book focused more on the big villains we had come to know and love, that Gwen was referenced more in SPECTACULAR than ASM at the time.  Again, like you, I could either be misremembering or have filled that in on my own after so long a time between reading those titles.

Carmen Bernardo
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 31 March 2011 at 9:36am | IP Logged | 12  

I have reached the conclusion that Jim Shooter was an ass.  He may regret what he did now, but it's too late; the damage is done.  The only thing that saying this now does is serve as an old-timer's voicing regrets about past mistakes to the kid at the bar.

Put down that beer, Jim.  What's done is done.  Moving along...

<< Prev Page of 6 Next >>
  Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version