Active Topics | Member List | Search | Help | Register | Login
The John Byrne Forum
Byrne Robotics > The John Byrne Forum << Prev Page of 4
Topic: Galactus vs. The Celestials. Who wins? (Topic Closed Topic Closed) Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 01 April 2011 at 6:21pm | IP Logged | 1  

Some things are constant in this Universe. Me answering the question above with the following, is one of those constants.

forgot all about that pic William.  nice!!
Back to Top profile | search

Garry Porter II
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 01 April 2011 at 7:00pm | IP Logged | 2  

i guess in all this time, the thing that matters is that Galactus has been better defined, while the Celestials have not.

Kip Lewis
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 01 April 2011 at 7:35pm | IP Logged | 3  

If Galactus died, wouldnt that mean the cycle of rebirth ends?  that is as our universe ends there is no one to birth the next one.  But as far as this universe, the effects are minimal, until the end of our time.

Of course, it is possible there is a redundant entity waiting out there in case he does die.

Monte Gruhlke
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 01 April 2011 at 7:41pm | IP Logged | 4  

I was thinking again (always dangerous) that while the Celestials often exhude unbelievable amounts of destructive energy... Galactus is the master of the Power Cosmic. While the Celestials can (for their size) easily destroy, Galactus can destroy, create and draw living energy from unlikely sources. My vote is that Galactus wins easily, reducing each mighty Celestial that confronts him to pure energy that he then draws into himself (feeding) as needed. By the time the Celestials realize their cosmic blunder, several will have been destroyed and they will still have an angry, fully charged Galactus in their collective faces. 

It has always been a story device that Galactus, when greatly weakened, is approachable for a brief conversation. Sometimes it works, sometimes not. Celestials probably could be approached too if the writers wanted them too. I can't imagine Reed Richards going away empty-handed.

And I agree with current Marvel's treatment of Galactus. He's gone from a primal force of the Universe to a big guy whose super-power allows him to each planets. So sad.
Back to Top profile | search e-mail

Monte Gruhlke
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 01 April 2011 at 7:43pm | IP Logged | 5  

And then of course, I just realized that Wayde beat me to the punch on Galactus' feeding strategy. Kudos!
Back to Top profile | search e-mail

Kip Lewis
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 01 April 2011 at 7:55pm | IP Logged | 6  

If a writer wrote the Celestials as talking to people, that means they don't understand them.  Celestials wouldn't even lower themselves to talk directly to Odin.  

Jonathan Stover
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 02 April 2011 at 4:24am | IP Logged | 7  

One of my favourite Galactus moments comes during JB's run, when Dr. Strange is able to hurt him -- though it's stressed that this is because Galactus is weakened at this time. JB's one of the few writers to treat Strange as a genuine heavy hitter in the Marvel Universe, and not some wacky sideshow.

Cheers, Jon

Dale Lerette
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 02 April 2011 at 6:19am | IP Logged | 8  

Again, in that What If issue, when Korvac tried to communicate with the Celestials it was determined that their telepathic language was so strange that even he couldn't quite understand what they were "thinking" to him. He was guessing as to their motives even when super powered.

Galactus, on the other hand, is able to communicate freely with mortals. Not sure how this all plays out, but it seems that Galactus can be approached whereas the Celestials again seem outsiders to the universe.

Edited by Dale Lerette on 02 April 2011 at 6:20am
Back to Top profile | search | www e-mail

Kip Lewis
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 02 April 2011 at 7:08am | IP Logged | 9  

Outsiders to the universe.

------------------------------------

I thought i once read that the Celestials originated from outside the universe.

Funny thought hit me; we are considering this match like a Hulk vs Solomon Grundy fight, i.e., power vs power.

Might not the battle go to the better fighter, the smarter one or the clever one?  of course, that we could never answer.

Of course I wonder how Kirby would have voted.  I can definitely see him making the later more than the former if he was trying to create a greater threat.  Especially since, unlike Galactus, it seems he made the Celestials to be unbeatable.  That is, if his series contunied, no force would deter the Celestials.  

On the other hand, the threat of the Celestials is increase by numbers, so one on one, the advantage might be lost.

Dale Lerette
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 02 April 2011 at 11:14am | IP Logged | 10  

I think there was also an issue of Fantastic Four with Dr. Doom where they briefly passed through the dimension of the Celestials. They were sitting around drinking tea or something like that. Their leader was Mrs Nesbit...

ok ok...I'm making this last part up. But the FF did briefly pass through some dimension and saw Celestials there as they passed through. It was kind of a neat glimpse into their odd dimension. Exactly what they were doing there I dunno...

Edited by Dale Lerette on 02 April 2011 at 11:15am
Back to Top profile | search | www e-mail

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

<< Prev Page of 4
  Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version