Active Topics | Member List | Search | Help | Register | Login
The John Byrne Forum
Byrne Robotics > The John Byrne Forum << Prev Page of 4 Next >>
Topic: Galactus vs. The Celestials. Who wins? (Topic Closed Topic Closed) Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 01 April 2011 at 11:25am | IP Logged | 1  

Galactus. 

What we've seen him do does not put a limitation on what he is able to do.  In his very first appearance, as his ship is landing there is a comment that he "must be a giant", to which the Watcher says something along the lines of "he is whatever he wishes to be - he is Galactus".

If Galactus found it necessary to defeat or destroy the Celestials, then I believe he would do so. 

Back to Top profile | search

Dale Lerette
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 01 April 2011 at 12:41pm | IP Logged | 2  

Good thoughts Kip. I had totally forgotten that Korvac had orignally gotten his original powers from Galactus' own ship. And that's what I was not sure about either...as Korvac defeated more and more people he seemed to be gaining more and more strength.

There's also times when Galactus is very weak too. During those times I think the Celestials could possibly win I guess.

Like for example in JB's run in FF when Thor had to use the powers of his Uru hammer to power up Galactus again. That was too cool when Galactus started to unknowingly siphon the power of Thor's Uru hammer via Mr. Fantastic's machinery...so much so that Thor himself couldn't pull it away! And this was after Galactus had already siphoned power from Terex IIRC. I'm not sure how Galactus would do against the Celestials then. It seems to me that Galactus would lose for sure.*

I think it's ultimately up the whims of the writers at the time who would win...and how consistent they are with their Pre-history. It's inevitable with 40 years of history that some inconsistencies will happen. But man, those are the stories that had some real kick to them!

*PS. What exactly would happen if Galactus died? I remember a few years ago [gulp...that was 10 years ago...sheesh] there was a run with Galactus skull crashing onto Earth or something...

...But the universe never imploded in a BIG CRUNCH because of it. Again, I think it depends on the whims of the writers at the time. But I was really surpised about that story (and I wasn't even colecting comics anymore then!).

Edited by Dale Lerette on 01 April 2011 at 12:50pm
Back to Top profile | search | www e-mail

Jonathan Stover
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 01 April 2011 at 1:10pm | IP Logged | 3  

Or there's all that bizarro stuff in the EARTH-X et al. series written by Jim Krueger in which Galactus's job has always really been to

SPOILER SPACE

kill the Celestial eggs that are hidden in the cores of various planets. And Franklin Richards BECOMES Galactus. And the Watcher is really an evil pawn of the evil Celestials.

Whee!

Cheers, Jon

Kip Lewis
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 01 April 2011 at 1:21pm | IP Logged | 4  

One thing we haven't discussed, Galactus will tire and lose power as the battle progresses.  Celestials don't seem to have that problem.  If the battle goes on Galactus looses his advantage.

Dale Lerette
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 01 April 2011 at 2:42pm | IP Logged | 5  

Wow Jonathan, I must be totally out of the loop. That is totally bizarro world stuff to me. I wasn't aware of any of those story lines. 

Bingo Kip, that's why I was bringing up before with the weakened Galactus. It's hard to say how it would play out and I think it depends on the writer.

At one time, when weakened, Galactus can be knocked unconscious with the Thing being elasto-banded into his face by Mr. Fantastic. At another time, when empowered, Galactus can stagnate the flow of a huge black hole and allow people inside to escape to freedom.

The variations in his power level are very extreme from time to time.

Garry Porter II
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 01 April 2011 at 3:11pm | IP Logged | 6  

What exactly would happen if Galactus died?

IMO, Galactus should never "die" in that manner.  i read the issue you just posted and i was entertained by it, but the way in which Galactus perished was like saying "i don't get this character" to me.

Galactus is like us, yes, but then again, he/she/it is very much not like us.  to me, his death in that annual, though the story was cool, was diminishing the character.

...But the universe never imploded in a BIG CRUNCH

now that is how Galactus is supposed to "die", if it ever comes tothatwith the character and if he ever does.

we almost saw that "death" in the Last Galactus Story......and he really wouldn't have been dead then either.

William Roberge
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 01 April 2011 at 3:23pm | IP Logged | 7  

QUOTE:
What exactly would happen if Galactus died?

Some things are constant in this Universe. Me answering the question above with the following, is one of those constants.

Dale Lerette
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 01 April 2011 at 3:35pm | IP Logged | 8  

Nice collection piece William! That is some nice JB work there!

Edit: Dang! That is very INSPIRING WORK! Great stuff!

Edited by Dale Lerette on 01 April 2011 at 3:38pm

Bill Catellier
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 01 April 2011 at 3:41pm | IP Logged | 9  

Obviously it depends on whom the writer wants to win.  I have noticed though that almost every scenario leading to a Celestial win involves some variation of "if Galactus if weakened/drained".  If they're both preparing for a fight, Galactus will have plenty of energy.  Galactus normally eats as needed, but can clearly build up huge energy reserves by being a bit of a pig. 
Back to Top profile | search e-mail

Wayde Murray
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 01 April 2011 at 3:48pm | IP Logged | 10  

I think the Celestials should worry about whether Galactus can feed off their energy in lieu of a planet. 

Kip Lewis
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 01 April 2011 at 4:07pm | IP Logged | 11  

Of course, another factor is Celestials scared all the Pantheons of Earth, all of them, while Galactus gets their respect but he doesn't seem to scare them into inaction.

Bill Catellier
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 01 April 2011 at 4:40pm | IP Logged | 12  

Good point Wayde. 
As for the Celestials scaring off the Pantheons and Galactus getting their respect, but not scaring them.  I think it's because Galactus can be spoken and dealt with (and he has) while the Celestials simply do what they do.  I don't think it's the power that matters, simply that with Galactus there is a possibility (however small) that he can be dealt with in ways other then battle.
Back to Top profile | search e-mail

<< Prev Page of 4 Next >>
  Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version