Active Topics | Member List | Search | Help | Register | Login
The John Byrne Forum
Byrne Robotics > The John Byrne Forum << Prev Page of 3
Topic: Juggernaut Vs the Destroyer ? (Topic Closed Topic Closed) Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 28 March 2011 at 12:27pm | IP Logged | 1  

There's nothing the Juggernaut can do to hurt the Destroyer. He doesn't have the power to melt it into slag as the Celestials do. The usual method of stopping the Destroyer is to get whoever is inhabiting it to leave.
Back to Top profile | search

Garry Porter II
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 28 March 2011 at 12:29pm | IP Logged | 2  

hey a little fun thread drift here:

during the lee/kirby thor run(my favorite), i don't actually remember the Destroyer "destroying" anyone(though he destroyed things, but can someone help me out on this?).  yes, he had thor on the ropes many times, taking thor to the brink of death, beating thor in a one on one fight, and maybe knocking him out, but i don't remember him actually killing thor during that time.

but, with that said, i do remember thor being killed by the stan lee-created Durok the demolisher.  in this 3 part story, thor was really killed.  this was "doomsday" before there actually was one.  and, stan lee wrote those issues while john buscema drew them.

i guess what i'm saying is that with all this talk of the destroyer, he hardly destroyed anything or anyone.

yes, there was the thor series where the destroyer killed thor.  but, i didn't agree with that one.  the creators basically gave the fans what they thought they wanted, which, IMO, is not good.  the creators basically "doomsday-ed" thor on that storyline in particular. 

Jesus Garcia
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 28 March 2011 at 12:37pm | IP Logged | 3  

If we go by their definitions ... endless tie: the Juggernaut cannot be stopped and the Destroyer cannot be destroyed.

Assuming their power levels are such that either one can physically propel a large object into or beyond Earth orbit, the winner of such a confrontation would be whichever one dispatches the other into spatial immobility first.

Put another way: in a very extended battle which one would cry uncle first? If were talking pounding the crap out of each other for 1000 years, I figure the Juggernaut would be first to quit. I don't know how his psychology is profiled but I gather he functions on a human spectrum of needs and desires. The Destroyer, on the other hand, needs to host a mind to become active.

On the other hand: whose mind would shatter first, in a 1000-year battle? The Juggernaut or the mind hosted by the Destroyer.

Very hard to pick apart.

Armindo Macieira
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 28 March 2011 at 1:01pm | IP Logged | 4  

As far as Thing beating Destroyer, I'm curious to see that myself.

************************************************************ ****************************

Here it is:

They fight in issue #172 and this is the first page of #173.

(notice how Ben is about to take on Galactus(!!!))

Edited by Armindo Macieira on 28 March 2011 at 1:03pm
Back to Top profile | search | www

Paulo Pereira
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 28 March 2011 at 1:06pm | IP Logged | 5  

Thanks, Armindo. That seems pretty wacky.

Armindo Macieira
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 28 March 2011 at 1:14pm | IP Logged | 6  

There are a few "tweaks" in the fight... for what I recall, Ben was reverted to human at the time, so the Thing is actually Ben in a "Thing-suit" made by Reed. I believe Ben says the suit makes him stronger than before (not sure).
The Destroyer is animated by just a tiny part of Galactus power (if I recall correctly)... although there's no conscience behind it, the Destroyer talks and thinks coherently.

Paulo Pereira
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 28 March 2011 at 1:20pm | IP Logged | 7  

Yeah, I've just looked through that issue and, per Galactus: 

"You think you have won a significant victory by defeating...the Destroyer. Yet... he has been powered by the most miniscule portion of my own life force...and rather than waste even that tiny spark in useless battle -- I preferred to mentally withdraw it from him so that what you "defeated" was a mere lifeless shell."

Armindo Macieira
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 28 March 2011 at 1:59pm | IP Logged | 8  

Hmmm... then forgive my mistake. My memory isn't what it used to be! 

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

<< Prev Page of 3
  Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version