Active Topics | Member List | Search | Help | Register | Login
The John Byrne Forum
Byrne Robotics > The John Byrne Forum << Prev Page of 12 Next >>
Topic: "The Hulk That Might Have Been" (Topic Closed Topic Closed) Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 05 April 2011 at 7:22pm | IP Logged | 1  

i was heavily into both books when the switch took place that landed john at the hulk book.i'd rather it never happened at all but john's hulk stuff was the usual greatness,the depature was a shock for me-getting issue 120 in my hands,opening it up and seeing no byrne.

i stayed with the hulk,was pretty happy with what milgrom did with it.

anybody see that the current/upcoming issue of the hulks' variant cover is a picture of the guy in the thor costume??

marvel editors am drink while working time again?!?

Back to Top profile | search

Chad Carter
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 05 April 2011 at 8:01pm | IP Logged | 2  

I get the feeling the return of the KirbyHulk could have revitalized the character. For one thing, just about every artist type I've ever heard about is nutso for the Frankenstein Monster. They love drawing him, they love buying stuff with him on it.

The Hulk shared a unique bond with Mary Shelley's creation. Even though Kirby started out with a romantic, handsome Hulk in ish 1, by ish 3 he had established the cro-magnon standard. It's a look that isn't shared by any other character.

From a graphic standpoint, you could take a square with a little patch of hair on top, put two brow humps on it with a snarl mouth, with no other features, and have an instantly-recognizable symbol. The Hulk's "S"-shield, for want of better phrasing.

Anyway, Bruce Timm and Steve Rude have long expressed their love of this look.

Chad Carter
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 05 April 2011 at 8:02pm | IP Logged | 3  

Chad Carter
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 05 April 2011 at 8:03pm | IP Logged | 4  

Kip Lewis
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 06 April 2011 at 7:34am | IP Logged | 5  

Greg Kirkman: 

What David's run did was turn Banner the everyman into Banner the nutjob, and the Hulk from a mutant creature of rage into one of that nutjob's many personalities.

In the first version, Banner is a character we can relate to. He's a normal man who, through extraordinary circumstances, has had his inner rage released into the world. Essentially, the gamma rays altered his body in such a way as to distort his brain structure/chemistry when he's the Hulk, allowing his inner rage to be given its own life.

The second version turned the Hulk into a symptom of a pre-existing mental problem, one which happened to get unleashed by the gamma rays. So, the transformation serves as a stressor of sorts that causes the switch from one personality to another.

================

I would never have called Banner an "everyman".  Someone who is called a "milksop" nerd is by definition an outsider, not an everyman.  But I get the point you're going for.

But I wonder if part of the problem with the change in the Hulk's premise comes from the Leader, the Abomination and Doc Sampson.  If Banner is supposed to be normal man whose rage was unleashed by gamma rays, then why is he unique among gamma mutated individuals?  The other major gamma individuals didn't appear to have radical personality changes nor do they have a Jeckel and Hyde effect.  (I say "Major" gamma individuals, because I know we had one shot storylines that were closer to the Hulk, but those aren't the ones that had lasting impact. ) 

Ed Love
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 06 April 2011 at 8:47am | IP Logged | 6  

Doc's case was it was under a more controlled and limited exposure IIRC. Even the Abomination was under a more controlled environment though he received a larger dose of radiation.

The Leader though fit in very well though with the early dichotomy that made the Hulk, as the idea that the subject turned into the opposite of what they were. Intelligent but physically weak Banner turned into a physical angry brute. The Leader was a menial worker given a genius level intellect.
Back to Top profile | search | www

Kip Lewis
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 06 April 2011 at 8:58am | IP Logged | 7  

But did the Leader's personality changed?  that part i couldn't quite remember.  And that's were I was focusing--change of personality and the Jeckel Hyde effect.

(and if you expand gamma rays to all mutating radation, he remains unique--FF, Spider-man, DD were all subject to mutations of the body and even to the brain, but personality remains same.)

Garry Porter II
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 06 April 2011 at 9:06am | IP Logged | 8  

those pics that chad put of the hulk in the last page got me curious:  a gamma machine?  what the heck is that?

i thought Banner got his power only from the explosion.

Ed Love
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 06 April 2011 at 9:50am | IP Logged | 9  

I don't recall the Leader's origin story exactly, but it would seem to me that his personality did change at least by implication. He was working in a menial but honest job, cliche for someone of low intelligence, little drive, and introverted personality type and went to calling himself the grandiose name of "The Leader", built his own henchmen and set out to be a mega-conqueror/power through illegal and violent means (as opposed to just creating and selling patents and making a killing on Wall Street), a super-ego that has run amok. If he had the Leader's personality all along, I think he would have been a common robber knocking over grocery stores and carrying a gun to assert his power over others, looking down on everyone else and always dreaming of the big score, but his reach exceeding his grasp. It's true that none had the uncontrollable switching back and forth that Banner had, but none of them seemed to have the desire to change back or view of their new state as a curse.

In the end, I think it's just best to chalk up gamma rays to be similar to medicine, side-effects may vary according to individuals. There's more consensus amongst its victims than among the FF who all received their dosage of cosmic radiation in the exact same incident thus nigh identical conditions and dosage. Yet the results were highly individualized with Ben Grimm as the only one who cannot turn his powers off.
Back to Top profile | search | www

Greg Kirkman
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 06 April 2011 at 2:32pm | IP Logged | 10  

But I wonder if part of the problem with the change in the Hulk's premise comes from the Leader, the Abomination and Doc Sampson.  If Banner is supposed to be normal man whose rage was unleashed by gamma rays, then why is he unique among gamma mutated individuals?

++++++++

As Roger Stern established (and JB noted in his 1985 Hulk-era interviews), the gamma rays bring out a person's repressed inner self.

Banner's inner rage made him into the Hulk.

Samson became a superhero, because that's what he secretly wanted to be.

Jen Walters became sexy and uninhibited as the She-Hulk (but not at first).

Blonsky wanted to be a tough guy.

Back to Top profile | search e-mail

Chad Carter
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 06 April 2011 at 5:47pm | IP Logged | 11  

i thought Banner got his power only from the explosion.

For a while in the early-mid 1960s, Banner figured out that he could expose himself to Gamma Rays, trigger his transformation himself, and retain his intelligence albeit with an undercurrent of brutish misanthropy. Banner would "dose" and become the Hulk, in order that he could do some great good in the world.

That was the status quo for a short while. What the original Gamma Bomb had done to Banner's cells prevented him from dying of further exposure to Gamma treatment. This resultant Hulk is the one John Byrne would've used in his Hulk run.

I guess it was very soonafter that Stan Lee started using Banner's wussified panic attacks to trigger his change into an Of Mice And Men-type Hulk.

Chad Carter
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 06 April 2011 at 5:53pm | IP Logged | 12  

<< Prev Page of 12 Next >>
  Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version