Active Topics | Member List | Search | Help | Register | Login
The John Byrne Forum
Byrne Robotics > The John Byrne Forum << Prev Page of 12 Next >>
Topic: "The Hulk That Might Have Been" (Topic Closed Topic Closed) Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 02 April 2011 at 8:36am | IP Logged | 1  

I was already a fan of the Hulk and JB. When I heard he'd be doing story and art for the book, I was thrilled. Those too few issues were magic. It was heartbreaking to me when they came to an end. Reading about what could have been, while interesting, doesn't make me feel any better about it!

Edited by Brian Rhodes on 02 April 2011 at 8:37am
Back to Top profile | search e-mail

Dale Lerette
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 02 April 2011 at 11:23am | IP Logged | 2  

Yes, that Samson whalloping the Hulk ranks right up there with Layton's Iron Man laying the smackdown on the Green Goliath. Some really great stuff there guys.

http://goodcomics.comicbookresources.com/2009/02/16/a-year-o f-cool-comic-book-moments-day-47/

Edited by Dale Lerette on 02 April 2011 at 11:27am
Back to Top profile | search | www e-mail

Shaun Barry
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 02 April 2011 at 11:43am | IP Logged | 3  

Did anyone stick around for the Al Milgrom run immediately after JB's departure?  I seem to recall buying the first 2 issues of AM's run before bailing, but my memory is pretty foggy.  It seems Milgrom has always had some fairly harsh detractors, at least from an artistic standpoint (which I believe to be unfair), but how were his stories?  From what I remember from his days on SPECTACULAR SPIDER-MAN, he seemed like a solid, dependable writer.

Back to Top profile | search

Joel Tesch
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 02 April 2011 at 5:16pm | IP Logged | 4  

garry:  i can't remember the numbering, but it was the cover of Fantastic Four where Reed was up above New York City, supposedly fighting the tentacles of Dr. Octopus. 

Supposedly? That's exactly what he was fighting. Great issue...and my first Fantastic Four issue!

Octavius was allowed to have his "arms" because Reed wanted some type of special procedure done with Sue, that might have required his tentacles.  but, Banner and Octavius had words and one thing led to another.  and then.....BAM!!

That's not at all why Octavius had his arms. It had nothing to do with any procedure. Reed's intention was to bring him their sans arms bc of his knowledge in radiation, but Octavius snapped en route and subconsciously called his arms to him (not even realizing at the time that's what he was doing).

i always wondered about that scene and how cool it would have been if that would be the norm for the Hulk.   to do that, in control, every issue.  to have Banner and Hulk written like that all the time.

That's exactly how he was written at the time. He had been able to do that for the last couple of years. It wasn't in any way unique to this story. And that Banner in control storyline was much different than the "dark side of Banner but Banner in control" Hulk storyline JB had planned.

Joel Tesch
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 02 April 2011 at 5:19pm | IP Logged | 5  

Did anyone stick around for the Al Milgrom run immediately after JB's departure?  I seem to recall buying the first 2 issues of AM's run before bailing, but my memory is pretty foggy.  It seems Milgrom has always had some fairly harsh detractors, at least from an artistic standpoint (which I believe to be unfair), but how were his stories?  From what I remember from his days on SPECTACULAR SPIDER-MAN, he seemed like a solid, dependable writer.

I thought it was fine. Not as good as JB's writing, nor what was planned, but certainly serviceable. Interesting that you bring up Al's detractors on the artistic side. I never really understood that. I thought he was a fine artist. However, I always liked his pencils and his covers where he inked himself better than when other artists inked him. He had a rougher look that I think enhanced his art, and many artist (Mooney, Sinnot) smoothed things out quite a bit and that wasn't to his benefit IMO.

Stephen Churay
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 02 April 2011 at 7:38pm | IP Logged | 6  

Did anyone stick around for the Al Milgrom run immediately after JB's
departure?  I seem to recall buying the first 2 issues of AM's run
before bailing, but my memory is pretty foggy.  It seems Milgrom has
always had some fairly harsh detractors, at least from an artistic
standpoint (which I believe to be unfair), but how were his stories? 
From what I remember from his days on SPECTACULAR SPIDER-
MAN, he seemed like a solid, dependable writer.

=====
I stuck around for a while. Once Gen. Ross became Zzaxx and Rick
became a long haired Hulk I had to drop it. The premise had potential,
but it wasn't well executed and came off a bit silly.

James Lansberry
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 02 April 2011 at 9:13pm | IP Logged | 7  

++++++

I did, as Milgrom's Hulk issues were my first in collecting comics in general.  (I'd had the occasional issue here and there, but that was it.)  I consider those issues tremendously underrated.  A gray Hulk (who I did not care for at all in the beginning), a long-haired green Hulk (hey, it was the `80's), General Ross dead (pfft -- yeah, ok!).
Were they award-winning material?  Nah.  They were entertaining and that's the most important aspect. 

Brian Hunt
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 03 April 2011 at 10:40am | IP Logged | 8  

I didn't stick around for Milgrom's run. I would qualify as one of his detractors because I remember taking one look at the first issue of his run while standing in my LCS and thinking that it looked awful. I put it back on the shelf and never looked back. 

Chad Carter
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 03 April 2011 at 8:07pm | IP Logged | 9  

Al Milgrom was hard to stomach after JB departed, and most of that was pure bitterness and resentment on my part--which poor Al caught instead of JB, who'd run out on the title!

Today I recognize Milgrom as a hell of a pro and one a handful of the best inkers of all time.

Milgrom over Steve Rude, from one of the truly great one-shot stories of the last 20 years, INCREDIBLE HULK VS SUPERMAN.

Chad Carter
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 03 April 2011 at 8:16pm | IP Logged | 10  

I'd have died to see this Hulk.

Which does bring up the point once again: Would JB's changed-back-to-original Hulk have become the standard for the character, even today?

I guess the proof would have to be in how many stories JB could have done, and how popular they would have been. I daresay that JB might not have made "Time Magazine" for Superman's anniversary, but I can imagine an alternate reality where JB lasted a lot longer and had a lot more acclaim for his Hulk.

Heck, you could take it even further: how would life have been different for John Byrne? Would the Hulk have pushed him into a strata at Marvel even Jim Shooter couldn't touch? Would JB have become EiC eventually? Would Marvel Comics as a whole have traveled through the 1990s essentially unsullied by McFarlane and Co and all that that implies?

Would comic books be different today if JB had remained at Marvel? Would today's comics be the House That Byrne Built?

It's kind of wild to consider!

Michael Arndt
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 04 April 2011 at 5:11am | IP Logged | 11  

Love that shot of the Hulk.

James Lansberry
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 04 April 2011 at 7:55pm | IP Logged | 12  

Milgrom over Steve Rude, from one of the truly great one-shot stories of the last 20 years, INCREDIBLE HULK VS SUPERMAN.

+++++++++++++++++++

That was an outstanding crossover!

Yeah, Milgrom seemed to do better inking than full pencils.  I dunno, I liked a lot of his work (except Secret Wars II, meh.), and I know there will never be enough interest to warrant a Classics/Visionaries volume between Byrne and PAD's runs.  (Sue me, I was a HUGE fan of the Rick Jones Hulk!)

<< Prev Page of 12 Next >>
  Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version