Active Topics | Member List | Search | Help | Register | Login
The John Byrne Forum
Byrne Robotics > The John Byrne Forum << Prev Page of 12 Next >>
Topic: "The Hulk That Might Have Been" (Topic Closed Topic Closed) Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 28 March 2011 at 7:31pm | IP Logged | 1  

I didn't really think there was a plethora of backhandedness going on. I think most of the time the writer was pointing out that the story in retrospect seemed to waver out of the gate. If the issues hadn't been impactful, the writer wouldn't still be poring over the articles to connect dots that obviously pointed toward something larger happening.

At the time I read the JB Hulk issues, I was fifteen and my mind was reeling from the fact that JB was doing the Hulk at all. To me, it seemed like there was a lot of stuff JB was trying to fix in a hurry, mostly to do with character integrity of the Hulk's supporting cast. It's easy to see that JB intended to reforge a bond between the Hulk and his cast, and the readers and the cast, which had been lost during Mantlo-Vision.

This was during a time when JB's storytelling was changing, I think. It had been noticeable on the FF for some time before. The pace was more in tune with later JB, a pace built around ideas and practices, the mechanics of the pulpy serial story of the early JB FF given way to more intellectual considerations.

And like any good JB, recognizing his Hulk audience, he didn't waver from producing some of the most stunning fight panels seen in the Hulk in a while. The one thing JB did with those fights, you'll note, is increase the "heavyweight" density of the characters. They move like heavily-muscled beasts, with unnatural speed in some cases, and unbelievable power. It's why people still talk about the Avengers/ Hulk fight or the Doc Samson knockout. There was more weight, literally and figuritively, in the struggle.

I still can't believe JB didn't get around to a Hulk/Thing fight. KILLS me.

Back to Top profile | search

Gary Miller
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 28 March 2011 at 9:19pm | IP Logged | 2  

Thanks everybody for your comments on the article. Here I joined a week or so ago--I was pleasantly surprised somebody posted a link. I'm glad everybody's found something interesting about it.

Robert, Trevor--the Alpha Flight thing's fixed. Thanks! I thought because Claremont and Byrne worked on Uncanny X-Men #120-121 together that they had in fact co-created the team, but upon further research spurred by your comments, I learned that wasn't so. Mea culpa.

Joel--The Beyonder did, in a manner of speaking, trick Alpha Flight into bringing the Hulk back to Earth. Remember on the final page of Incredible Hulk #312 that he redirected the energy line that Alpha Flight sent through other dimensions. It would likely not have found the Hulk otherwise.

CJ--you got me, totally. I was fascinated by "Act One" of the story, and think if JB was allowed to stay on board (and, at the very least, conclude that first act), we'd be talking about almost an entirely different Hulk, 20-plus years on. In retrospect, one can't ignore his contributions in these eight issues--they really are the pivot point around which the entire future of the character revolved. JB really did set up a LOT that unfortunately had to be paid off by other writers. It's debatable just how well later writers were able to follow up on his ideas. Really, I think it's interesting how similar in some ways the ideas of later writers appeared to be to what JB planned, like certain events had to play out in echoes of the original plan.

I love this stuff. JB, thank you for eight issues that changed the direction of the Hulk in ways that still echo to the present.

~G.

Edited by Gary Miller on 28 March 2011 at 10:07pm
Back to Top profile | search | www

Paul Simpson Simpson
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 28 March 2011 at 9:45pm | IP Logged | 3  

Well, that nut calling himself Joe Zhang

Didn't that guy used to post here ?

Pete Carrubba
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 28 March 2011 at 11:00pm | IP Logged | 4  

I still say I'd like to see this run finished in a "director's cut," which would also tie in with a finishing of JB's FF run and his Superman run. 
Back to Top profile | search | www e-mail

James Woodcock
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 29 March 2011 at 1:07am | IP Logged | 5  

------------------------------------------------------------ ---------------------------

I may be wrong but as quoted 'That nut CALLING himself ....'

Not sure that it is the real Joe as I seem to remember him being cloned by a fair few people back in the day.

Back to Top profile | search e-mail

Trevor Smith
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 29 March 2011 at 4:23am | IP Logged | 6  

Nice to see you posting Gary, and nice to see that someone
can fix a mistake without treating having it pointed out
like a personal attack - good job!
Back to Top profile | search e-mail

Joel Tesch
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 29 March 2011 at 6:43am | IP Logged | 7  

Joel--The Beyonder did, in a manner of speaking, trick Alpha Flight into bringing the Hulk back to Earth. Remember on the final page of Incredible Hulk #312 that he redirected the energy line that Alpha Flight sent through other dimensions. It would likely not have found the Hulk otherwise.

Ah, then my bad. I only read the Alpha Flight issue (JB's last) for that viewpoint. I'm pretty sure that from their perspective, the "fishing line" to the Hulk happened after their encounter with the Beyonder. But I wasn't reading the Hulk then, and didn't even consider that could have been part of that story!

Al Cook
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 29 March 2011 at 8:05am | IP Logged | 8  

Paul SS, quoting someone else wrote:
Well, that nut calling himself Joe Zhang

Paul, I feel quite certain that the guy who posted on Gary's blog calling himself "Joe Zhang" is probably posting here today.  Under whatever name or names he has set up for himself here.  And he probably pats himself on his back for his own cleverness.

Paul Simpson Simpson
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 29 March 2011 at 10:47am | IP Logged | 9  

I just don't get what someone gets out of doing that. Someone who does that kind of stuff must have a pretty pathetic life.

Petter Myhr Ness
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 29 March 2011 at 12:28pm | IP Logged | 10  

I very much enjoyed JB's run on Hulk, and would have loved to see more of it.

The run was released over 3 issues here in Norway, in 1988. Which means they were released simultaneously with JB's Superman, that was still running here. So I had the two characters that actually brought me into comics done by John Byrne at the same time.

The first of these Hulk issues had "WRITTEN AND DRAWN BY JOHN BYRNE!!" in huge letters on the cover. That kind of creator credit was, as I recall, a first for comics over here.

Edited by Petter Myhr Ness on 29 March 2011 at 12:28pm

Jonathan Watkins
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 29 March 2011 at 12:39pm | IP Logged | 11  

I've really no opinion about the purported plans of the series, as detailed in the links on the first post.  When I read JB's issues it was as a kid who didn't know anything about the Hulk beyond the TV series and appearances he made in titles I was reading at the time.  I picked the series up because it was JB.  And LOVED it.  I can't say how it stacks up against other runs on the series, because I never followed the series.  But those few issues offered a graphic representation of power that I hadn't seen elsewhere.  The Hulk was someone who trashed the Avengers.  He was much more a juggernaut than the character of that name.  As a teen in love with JB's art style, I just adored those few issues.
Back to Top profile | search | www e-mail

Paulo Pereira
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 29 March 2011 at 12:48pm | IP Logged | 12  

<< Prev Page of 12 Next >>
  Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version