Active Topics | Member List | Search | Help | Register | Login
The John Byrne Forum
Byrne Robotics > The John Byrne Forum << Prev Page of 12 Next >>
Topic: "The Hulk That Might Have Been" (Topic Closed Topic Closed) Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 28 March 2011 at 10:33am | IP Logged | 1  

its probably too late for me to say this, but i think the article was cool.  lengthy and informative about JB's aborted plans for the hulk.  a mystery i always wondered about because his short run on hulk was a favorite of mine.

but, it seems to me, that the guy who did the article was bittersweet at best, when it came to talking about JB.  to me, it seemed that every time he gave a compliment to JB or his run on hulk, there was a thinly veiled petty comment against him.

example:  when the blogger was commenting on the-then reemergence of rick jones.  he described rick jones on JB's run as the 'golly, gee-wiz' southern boy of lee/kirby vintage'.  this, to me, is an insult, because when one uses a phrase like that to describe someone else, they are usually referring to that person as being flaky, dingy, goofy, or having some level of naivete'.  

this man went on for the rest of the 4 part articles, describing byrne and his run in such a fashion, while at the same time giving compliments here and there.

the funny thing was, if you were to ask him, he probably thought he was giving mr. byrne kudos the whole time.

but , other than that, very informative on the byrne/hulk run.  answered a lot of questions i had about that run for years.
Back to Top profile | search

Frank Carchia
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 28 March 2011 at 11:22am | IP Logged | 2  

This is an issue that has bugged me for years.  It seems that when i hear comics discussed in any other meduim (be it magazines, tv, movies, internet, etc.) all i hear praise for are the "greats" like Gaiman, Moore, Miller, Morrison et. al., all the while utterly ignoring Mr. Byrne's immense canon, longevity and influence on the industry and us readers.  I have not and would never qualify my love of JB's work.  It is what it is, and it's great.

And yes, I did say JB has an "immense canon".  Make of it what you will.

Joel Tesch
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 28 March 2011 at 11:38am | IP Logged | 3  

It's an ok article, I guess...but really, it's just rehashing things that were discussed in old interviews and have been discussed more recently on this site itself. It doesn't break any new ground or reveal anything new. And it has a number of innaccuracies in it (Rick Jones was definitely NOT "golly, gee whiz souther boy" at all. The Beyonder did not "trick" Alpha Flight into bringing the Hulk back into the world. That was done completely separate from the Beyonder.)

Robert Tilelli
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 28 March 2011 at 11:46am | IP Logged | 4  

Hey....I agree with JB.

After all I write on my FB page....." I love John Byrne's work"....'nuff said.

Robert Tilelli
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 28 March 2011 at 12:33pm | IP Logged | 5  

He also states that Claremont co-created Alpha Flight. Not true from what I have heard.

Trevor Smith
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 28 March 2011 at 1:26pm | IP Logged | 6  

Yes! The "had a hand in creating Alpha Flight" comment
made me arch an eyebrow as well.
Back to Top profile | search e-mail

Robert White
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 28 March 2011 at 1:40pm | IP Logged | 7  

QUOTE:
This is an issue that has bugged me for years. It
seems that when i hear comics discussed in any other
meduim (be it magazines, tv, movies, internet, etc.) all
i hear praise for are the "greats" like Gaiman, Moore,
Miller, Morrison et. al., all the while utterly ignoring
Mr. Byrne's immense canon, longevity and influence on the
industry and us readers.

There is no mystery to why this is. JB has always  written, more or less, for an "all-ages" audience while  the vast majority of the works created by those you mentioned were aimed at adults (or quasi-adults)or attempted to change an existing property into something geared to the tastes of an aging fanbase.

No matter how good JB's stuff was or is, he'll never get the critical acclaim given his chosen style. It's unfair,  but it's the way it works across all entertainment/art mediums. Walt Simonson, Roger Stern, Jim Starlin, etc, etc, all suffer the same unfair bias.

Edited by Robert White on 28 March 2011 at 1:44pm

Paul Simpson Simpson
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 28 March 2011 at 2:02pm | IP Logged | 8  

Robert could not be more right. JB,Simonson,Stern and Starlin just do "funny books" in the eyes of critics while Miller,Moore,Morrison and Gaiman do "graphic novels". The implication being that those guys do important work not just comic books. It's a kind of comic book elitism.

Caleb M. Edmond
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 28 March 2011 at 2:36pm | IP Logged | 9  

As if they are afraid that saying "I like Joe Fonebone's work!" will unleash a torrent of demands that justification must be given for liking an issue Joe did fifteen years ago, when he was recovering from brain surgery and drawing with his feet.

************************************************************ ********************

I've always been a fan of Joe Fonebone's work (I just like his OLD stuff better!)

Greg Kirkman
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 28 March 2011 at 4:01pm | IP Logged | 10  

Call it appeasement, or call it yet another manifestation of that annoying habit some fans have of not being able to simply express a liking for something without having to QUALIFY it. As if they are afraid that saying "I like Joe Fonebone's work!" will unleash a torrent of demands that justification must be given for liking an issue Joe did fifteen years ago, when he was recovering from brain surgery and drawing with his feet.

++++++++

Well, that nut calling himself Joe Zhang did post one of those "his old stuff was better" tirades in the article's comment section, so...

Francis Grey
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 28 March 2011 at 6:37pm | IP Logged | 11  

I enjoyed the articles because I thought there was a lot of good information there that I had never seen before.   I was a kid when I read the issues, and I never read all of the interviews where Mr. Byrne discussed his plans for the series.   I would have loved to go on the full ride that Mr. Byrne intended.   Reading Al Milgrom's resolution to the separation, when the Vision played a key role in re-integrating Banner and the Hulk, was memorable, but somehow a letdown for me, even at the time.   I can see how Mr. Byrne's characterization of the Hulk as a mindless, destructive brute with no redeeming qualities was perhaps set-up for the death of that character as he was envisioned at that time.   What a great way to set up an in-story, in-continuity "reboot."

Francis Grey
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 28 March 2011 at 6:43pm | IP Logged | 12  

What I don't like are the writer's seemingly unending series of backhanded compliments, if that is the right word, inserted throughout his editorializing.   What is the overall point of the articles if not to point out how fundamental, how foundational, those issues were?   So why crap on them at the same time?

<< Prev Page of 12 Next >>
  Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version