Active Topics | Member List | Search | Help | Register | Login
The John Byrne Forum
Byrne Robotics > The John Byrne Forum << Prev Page of 12
Topic: "The Hulk That Might Have Been" (Topic Closed Topic Closed) Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 03 May 2011 at 4:49pm | IP Logged | 1  

Yep, he knew that the Hulk wasn't responsible for her death--after all, when he DID think the Hulk had killed someone in "The Psychic", Banner nearly committed suicide.

The only reason Banner didn't commit suicide in the series is because the creature hadn't killed anyone. If the Hulk really became a killer, Banner would be unable to live with himself, and would then have to take steps to protect others, even at the cost of his own life.

Back to Top profile | search e-mail

Greg McPhee
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 03 May 2011 at 5:53pm | IP Logged | 2  

The TV Series, as shown in the episodes "Dark Side" and "The First" established that while Banner's Hulk was caused by severe anger or stress it was ultimately a good creature, as Banner himself was a good and kind person.

Del Frye in "The First" was already a "bad" or nasty person so his Hulk reflected that aspect.

Back to Top profile | search

Greg McPhee
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 03 May 2011 at 6:00pm | IP Logged | 3  

It's hard dealing with a character with only ONE power; especially if that power is natural raw strength.  This is why the Hulk comic could kind of get boring, to me, at times.

In the 70's, the Hulk was known as Savage and Mindless in character(though his moniker was "Incredible" on the cover).  But, to me, his comicbook didn't have the same impact, as say, Spider-Man.  To me, it was still kind of dull.

Then the 80's came.  That's when I really started reading.  And, in the early 80's, I noticed that that's when the Hulk had been given "the mind of Bruce Banner".  It was still kind of dull, because it seemed like the Hulk was "too calm".

Then, in the mid 80's, I saw JB's Hulk.  It piqued my interest.  And, I read it.  And then it hit me why the Hulk comic didn't click too well with me as the other Marvel titles:  Bruce Banner.

Or, rather, this certain portrayal of Banner that JB did.  JB showed me that Bruce Banner was a man, like any other man; a man with passions, ideals, flaws, fears, and aspirations.  In other words, his personality was brought out more to me during that short run.  He was more than just a scientist during JB's run.  And, that's what attracted me to his run on the Hulk.

The other attraction, of course, were the battles, super and personal, that the Hulk himself endured.  even the fights were different to me.

=====================================================

Garry,

Once again, I am going to disagree with you. Much as I am a an of JB, he wasn't the only one that demonstrated this about Bruce Banner or The Hulk. Re-read the stories by Stan Lee, Roy Thomas, Gerry Conway, Steve Englehart, Len Wein, Roger Stern and Bill Mantlo and this shines through.

The Flash only has one power, and he is an interesting character nom matter who wears the costume.

Back to Top profile | search

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

<< Prev Page of 12
  Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version