Active Topics | Member List | Search | Help | Register | Login
The John Byrne Forum
Byrne Robotics > The John Byrne Forum << Prev Page of 12 Next >>
Topic: "The Hulk That Might Have Been" (Topic Closed Topic Closed) Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 12 April 2011 at 5:25pm | IP Logged | 1  

Isn't that also the show where Banner's clothes would reappear intact
when the Hulk would change back?
Back to Top profile | search e-mail

Greg Kirkman
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 12 April 2011 at 6:29pm | IP Logged | 2  

Yep.

James Lansberry
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 12 April 2011 at 8:04pm | IP Logged | 3  

I read somewhere that the reason for the clothes reappearing during the Hulk-to-Banner transformations in the `82 cartoon was a censor issue.  For some reason, they believed it was inappropriate to depict a half-naked man -- but ok to show a giant, green monster smashing things.  Go figure...
Back to Top profile | search

Gary Miller
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 01 May 2011 at 10:21pm | IP Logged | 4  

Interestingly, Jim Shooter remarked today at his blog, shedding light on the most likely reason so far for the entire perfect storm of events that led to JB leaving the Hulk book and Marvel in 1986. Of course, given the recent Gary Groth editorial, who can say how much truth is in there?

The story goes that JB's editor on the Hulk book, Denny O'Neil, left much of his editorial duties in the hands of his assistants, who complained to Shooter. Eventually, Shooter got tired of it and cracked the whip, trying to get O'Neil to do things for himself. That thing he did, the same day, was shelve JB's completed work for issue #320 (the all-splash issue that became Marvel Fanfare #29), telling him he did it because Shooter didn't approve. Shooter keeps going, there's more to the story, but it ultimately ends in JB leaving Marvel for DC, and Shooter firing O'Neil (who of course also landed on his feet at DC). He also states that he never saw the rejected issue until later, and both he and Fanfare editor Al Milgrom liked it enough to run it in that book, getting him paid for the job after all. He also states that he and JB weren't on the best of terms before all this happened, which is no secret, and that if not for this event, something else likely would have caused the exit from Marvel.

I always wondered why Milgrom replaced JB the same month as Bob Harras replaced O'Neil. The general gist of the above is as good an explanation as I've seen.

How much of it's true, who can say? The whole article's up here and you can see the gorier details for yourself.

~G.
Back to Top profile | search | www

James Lansberry
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 02 May 2011 at 7:39am | IP Logged | 5  

Most interesting insight.  

Garry Porter II
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 02 May 2011 at 8:49am | IP Logged | 6  

It's hard dealing with a character with only ONE power; especially if that power is natural raw strength.  This is why the Hulk comic could kind of get boring, to me, at times.

In the 70's, the Hulk was known as Savage and Mindless in character(though his moniker was "Incredible" on the cover).  But, to me, his comicbook didn't have the same impact, as say, Spider-Man.  To me, it was still kind of dull.

Then the 80's came.  That's when I really started reading.  And, in the early 80's, I noticed that that's when the Hulk had been given "the mind of Bruce Banner".  It was still kind of dull, because it seemed like the Hulk was "too calm".

Then, in the mid 80's, I saw JB's Hulk.  It piqued my interest.  And, I read it.  And then it hit me why the Hulk comic didn't click too well with me as the other Marvel titles:  Bruce Banner.

Or, rather, this certain portrayal of Banner that JB did.  JB showed me that Bruce Banner was a man, like any other man; a man with passions, ideals, flaws, fears, and aspirations.  In other words, his personality was brought out more to me during that short run.  He was more than just a scientist during JB's run.  And, that's what attracted me to his run on the Hulk.

The other attraction, of course, were the battles, super and personal, that the Hulk himself endured.  even the fights were different to me.

Greg Kirkman
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 02 May 2011 at 5:50pm | IP Logged | 7  

That's been a trap that some writers have fallen into--Banner is just the nerdy guy we have to deal with until he Hulks-out.

I think a more fully-fleshed-out Banner (as JB's run gave us) is integral to telling good Hulk stories.

The bottom line of the Hulk is that duality--that contrast between reason and rage, man and monster. Leave one half of that dynamic underdeveloped and unexplored, and the whole suffers.

Sure, seeing the Hulk running around and smashing stuff is fun, but without Banner there as a genuinely interesting character, it gets dull.

On the flipside, too much Banner--with little or no Hulk--(as in Bruce Jones' run), or Banner in full control of the Hulk (as in portions of Mantlo and David's runs) robs the book of its central conflict, and makes it dull.  

Edited by Greg Kirkman on 02 May 2011 at 5:51pm

Greg McPhee
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 02 May 2011 at 5:58pm | IP Logged | 8  

--(as in Bruce Jones' run), 

==================================================

Worst Run Ever!!!

Brian Rhodes
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 02 May 2011 at 6:49pm | IP Logged | 9  

This is what worked in the TV show and the 2008 movie: Banner was, in his own right, a hero. He has two curses: this monstrously powerful, destructive rage inside, and a compassion for people that will ultimately bring about the former. Some of the best eras of the comic hit these notes, as well: Wein, Stern, Mantlo (just before the Banner Brained Hulk)..

You feel for him. You want him to be cured, all the time knowing that if he is, you don't get to watch Hulk smash.

Greg Kirkman
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 02 May 2011 at 6:54pm | IP Logged | 10  

There's also the interesting notion that Banner is somewhat blind to the Hulk's heroic deeds (particularly so in the TV show), and just wants to be rid of him, despite the good he's occasionally done.

Chad Carter
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 02 May 2011 at 7:58pm | IP Logged | 11  

Did David Banner ever know that he, or rather the Hulk, didn't kill the woman scientist/love interest who was helping him in the pilot?

I can't recall, but if David Banner thought the Hulk killed that dame, he'd be hard-pressed to ever think anything good could come from the creature, unless completely by accident.

James Lansberry
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 02 May 2011 at 9:22pm | IP Logged | 12  

Yes, he knew the Creature didn't kill Elaina.  In later seasons, I believe he explained it to a reporter who was posing as Jack McGee...("Bring Me the Head of the Hulk!", I think?
Now that I think about it, I think he explained it as an accident in "Married" too.

<< Prev Page of 12 Next >>
  Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version