Active Topics | Member List | Search | Help | Register | Login
The John Byrne Forum
Byrne Robotics > The John Byrne Forum << Prev Page of 12 Next >>
Topic: "The Hulk That Might Have Been" (Topic Closed Topic Closed) Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 06 April 2011 at 5:55pm | IP Logged | 1  

Somebody mentioned loving the Rick Jones Hulk of PAD.

I actually dug the WHAT IF? Jones Hulk. Who wouldn't, when your catch-phrase is so cool?

Back to Top profile | search

Wallace Sellars
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 06 April 2011 at 6:28pm | IP Logged | 2  

Rude is surely talented, but the Hulk looks like a little guy in that picture.
Back to Top profile | search | www

Rob Ocelot
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 06 April 2011 at 7:47pm | IP Logged | 3  

I recall in the early issues that the Hulk was exposed to two types of radiation. 

There's the gamma bomb incident from IH#1 that everyone (including writers) tend to focus on.

The Hulk also underwent bombardment by cosmic radiation in IH#3.  The text implies it's similar, if not the same cosmic rays involved in the origin of the FF.  This is the crucial element missing in the origins of almost every other gamma irradiated being, be it the Abomination, the Leader, etc.

James Lansberry
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 08 April 2011 at 2:22pm | IP Logged | 4  

Somebody mentioned loving the Rick Jones Hulk of PAD.

I actually dug the WHAT IF? Jones Hulk. Who wouldn't, when your catch-phrase is so cool?

+++++++++++++++

That would be me...and I try very hard to try and forget that issue of What If? with Rick Jones as the Hulk...lol!

Gary Miller
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 09 April 2011 at 9:38pm | IP Logged | 5  

James, wow--going back to your post a few pages ago, I haven't had time to be around much, but your Byrne commission idea--yeah, I was thinking about it back around the time I wrote the blog! Someday...!

I also considered, back in the pre-MPD days, that the form the Hulk took was directly proportional to the amount of gamma he'd absorbed. A little gamma=gray Hulk, more=savage Hulk, saturation point=Banner in control, is how it seemed to go. In some ways the MPD did needlessly overcomplicate the character, which is why I think it's so interesting that if JB had stayed, we might not have gotten the MPD at all.

Ted Pugliese
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 10 April 2011 at 12:23pm | IP Logged | 6  

The best part of all this is that when JB left the book, the new Hulk
could easily evolve into the Buscema Hulk again, if Marvel wanted him
to do so. Then you simply avoid mentioning JB's run and it would be
like nothing ever happened. That is, John could do all this and put the
toys back into the toy box, if Marvel later felt the need to go back to
the way things were. They and we literally could have had the best of
both worlds.

James Lansberry
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 10 April 2011 at 8:27pm | IP Logged | 7  

James, wow--going back to your post a few pages ago, I haven't had time to be around much, but your Byrne commission idea--yeah, I was thinking about it back around the time I wrote the blog! Someday...!
++++++++

If this new job pans out (crossing fingers), I'll be able to work a lot of OT, and I'll stash some commission money away for it.

I also considered, back in the pre-MPD days, that the form the Hulk took was directly proportional to the amount of gamma he'd absorbed. A little gamma=gray Hulk, more=savage Hulk, saturation point=Banner in control, is how it seemed to go.
+++++++++

Exactly.  And if I remember right, it was discussed in a letter column around that time about the Hulk reaching a saturation point of sorts -- which kept him from mutating into a Kong-sized brute (which we got anyways in the Bruce Jones run).

Greg Kirkman
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 11 April 2011 at 6:35pm | IP Logged | 8  

Re-reading these issues recently, I was again struck with the elegant simplicity of Banner's hallucination (...or is it the Hulk's?) in # 315, which says so much about the duality of the character(s) without really saying much at all on the page. The splash page is also a nice little homage to Kirby's splash for INCREDIBLE HULK # 3.

It's a great concept--a literalization of a Banner warring with his dark side, which is forever tormenting him and trying to destroy him. And, of course, the classic underground vault from the Lee-Kirby run serves as a visual metaphor for the repression of emotion, which is what Banner is trying to do in terms of caging the Hulk within himself.

Interestingly, Paul Dini wrote a similar sequence for an episode of the 1982 cartoon, with Banner dreaming about the Hulk chasing him and trying to kill him. Great minds, eh? 

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=URa1dIY5CLc

And, of course, Ken Johnson used a similar concept to depict Banner trying to control the Hulk in the "Married" episode of the TV series.

Aside from the rare literal possibility of Banner and the Hulk coming face-to-face (as when they were occasionally separate beings), such dream/hallucination sequences strike a resonant note with me--seeing Banner's internal conflict visualized is a pretty neat thing.

Edited by Greg Kirkman on 11 April 2011 at 6:41pm
Back to Top profile | search e-mail

Tony Midyett
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 12 April 2011 at 5:10am | IP Logged | 9  

When JB is quoted in that old interview as saying that he wanted the Hulk to be "like he was in Avengers #1", it makes me think how badly the Marvel Universe needs JB right now.  Anyone here at the JBF like the Rulk?  Or Gamma Betty?  Or Bucky returning from the dead?  Or Spider-Man's deal with the devil?  And on and on......

Kip Lewis
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 12 April 2011 at 6:10am | IP Logged | 10  

I like the return of Bucky.  I never thought I would but while I could undo most of the changes of the last decade, Bucky is the one thing I would keep.

(and at least the writer followed the rules, if you don't find the body, the character isn't dead. )

Stephen Robinson
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 12 April 2011 at 8:51am | IP Logged | 11  

Interestingly, Paul Dini wrote a similar sequence for an episode of the 1982 cartoon, with Banner dreaming about the Hulk chasing him and trying to kill him. Great minds, eh? 

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=URa1dIY5CLc

SER: I loved that show. It's what sold me on the Hulk as a kid. Banner is a noble, good man who is struggling with the monster he becomes. (Though the monster is not *evil* just impossible to control.)

Greg Kirkman
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 12 April 2011 at 3:34pm | IP Logged | 12  

I'm also a big fan of that show. Love the title theme. It helped lay the foundation of what the Hulk should be (along with the live-action show)  for me when I was a kid. Also, Michael Bell is one of my favorite voice actors, and I love his version of Banner.

Interestingly, the notion of Banner having a secret identity was maintained in the show.

And, of course, the show kept one of the glaring problems with Lee and Kirby's origin story--Banner goes right back to work after being exposed to an insane amount of radiation, and no one ever mentions it again. Not even a "Hey, Bruce, remember that time you survived the Gamma Bomb's detonation? That was weird.". You'd think that medical tests would be done to determine why Banner suffered no ill effects, but no. And there's also the conspicuous appearance of the Hulk immediately after the Gamma Bomb incident (who, forensics would no doubt prove, smashed his way out from the inside of Banner's hospital room).

On the flipside, the cartoon solved a problem--in the original story, Banner drags Jones to the protective trench, when he should be thinking that Igor has halted the countdown. In the cartoon, a warning siren sounds just as he intercepts Rick, and so Banner realizes that the countdown hasn't been stopped.

Love the Hulk's origin story, though. I really don't care about the logic problems and anachronisms--I just love it!

Edited by Greg Kirkman on 12 April 2011 at 7:39pm
Back to Top profile | search e-mail

<< Prev Page of 12 Next >>
  Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version