Active Topics | Member List | Search | Help | Register | Login
The John Byrne Forum
Byrne Robotics > The John Byrne Forum Page of 12 Next >>
Topic: "The Hulk That Might Have Been" (Topic Closed Topic Closed) Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 27 March 2011 at 6:23pm | IP Logged | 1  

Gary M. Miller, blogger I follow on Twitter, wrote a series of posts about JB's all-too-brief run on The Incredible Hulk (1985). I found it very interesting and it made me want to go and break out those issues and read them again. I thought the fans here might enjoy it, too. Gary wound up writing four posts total. Here are links to each individual post:

Part 1

Part 2

Part 3

Part 4

Back to Top profile | search | www e-mail

Greg Kirkman
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 27 March 2011 at 7:16pm | IP Logged | 2  

Nice article. Thanks for posting it!

This is my biggest "what if?" JB project. He's so well-suited for the character, it breaks my heart that the run was so short. The interviews of the period in which JB discusses his plans for the book only rub salt in the wound! JB totally gets what the Hulk is all about--that eternal schism between Banner's reason and the Hulk's rage.

Woulda been great to see the Hulk get back to basics. JB mentioned at the time that Banner would almost have been like an alcoholic--seemingly in control of the Hulk (but still losing it), and becoming addicted to being the Hulk. Unfortunately, the run ended just before JB moved things out of the status quo and back to basics. There was even going to be a "very, very, very important death" that we never got to see (I agree with the author's theory about that).

Of course, as it mentioned in the article, the first seeds of this aborted plotline can be seen in # 319, when Banner frustratedly mentions that he thinks there might have been a way from the start to have been in control of the Hulk's power.

That, of course, harks back to the early stories in which Banner wanted to use the power of the Hulk for the good of mankind, but couldn't quite maintain control over his brutish alter-ego.

Woulda been great!

Edited by Greg Kirkman on 27 March 2011 at 7:28pm
Back to Top profile | search e-mail

Chad Carter
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 27 March 2011 at 8:51pm | IP Logged | 3  

I've been obsessing over this for over 25 years.

I'm sure JB would say it's a ridiculous notion, to obsess over what never was or could be, since it's gone. But for a kid who loved the Hulk, Kirby's early version, Sal's version, and pretty much any version before Peter David got his mitts on him (though the Gray Hulk--not "Mr. Fixit" which was stupid--reminded me enough of Kirby's issues 5-6 Hulk to intrigue), I couldn't help but want JB to educate me on a Hulk I didn't know existed. No matter how critics want to say JB is a staunch retro-vivalist, I know his work speaks volumes about uniqueness filtered through the past. JB's FF wasn't a slavish Lee/Kirby homage, and I didn't figure the Hulk would be either!

What I wish would happen, which won't, would be for JB to create an original creator-owned series, like DANGER UNLIMITED, as the Hulk series he wanted to produce. The history wouldn't be there, but then it's easy enough to world-build with analogues.

I'd be mighty interested in what kind of name JB would come up with for a creator-owned Hulk character, "creature of the night" behemoth based on Lee/Kirby's!

Back to Top profile | search

Robert White
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 27 March 2011 at 9:43pm | IP Logged | 4  

Byrnulk!

Brad Teschner
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 28 March 2011 at 5:57am | IP Logged | 5  

WOW! I'd never known just what exactly JB had on mind for
the Hulk. AWESOME!!! I'm now eternally bummed that this
storyline never saw the light of day. Damn you, Shooter!!!

I'm going to have trouble looking at the Hulk now without
thinking about what might have been.

Stephen Churay
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 28 March 2011 at 8:14am | IP Logged | 6  

Very interesting. It sounds like it would have almost made Banner the
villain of the book. It definitely answers a question that I've had for a
long time as to why the Hulk JB drew for the OHTTMU was so
different to the one he was drawing in the monthly comic. Now, I'm
equally curious as to what JB's plans were for the book he wrote with
Ron Garney as the artist, and if any of those plot lines would have
made back into the book.
Back to Top profile | search e-mail

John Byrne
Grumpy Old Guy

Posted: 28 March 2011 at 8:25am | IP Logged | 7  

"Although the stories themselves may be lackluster in certain facets…"

So I'm reading along, and thinking This is all WAY too positive! Does this guy actually have the stones to simply say he LIKES what I did, and damn the Byrne Bashers?

Then I hit that line, and the cosmic balance was restored.

Dennis Maloney
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 28 March 2011 at 8:41am | IP Logged | 8  

Very interesting. Too bad JB never got the chnace to do what he wanted. I guess he was not fated to have any success with the Hulk, his 2nd run as writer in the late 90's didn't last long either.

William Roberge
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 28 March 2011 at 8:45am | IP Logged | 9  

Dennis::I guess he was not fated to have any success with the Hulk...

How are you quantifying/defining not successful??

Bill Wiist
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 28 March 2011 at 9:27am | IP Logged | 10  

JB, a couple of questions I have after reading those articles:

1. The way I remember it (and it's been decades now, so ....), the major reason you left the Hulk was because of Jim Shooter's unwillingness to run the all-splash page issue (which later, of course, did run ... which to me, at the time, seemed like insult to injury). Is that right?

2. Did your story ideas for the Hulk change once you began working on the Hulk? Had you stayed on the Hulk and not had any editorial interference would we have seen the changes you discuss in those interviews?

And I don't care what ANYONE says, I LOVED you on the Hulk and so did everyone I knew at the time who was reading that storyline with me. Friends of mine and I would discuss it for hours. And from the art side, as a wannabe comic artist, I really studied those issues. 

CJ Grebb
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 28 March 2011 at 9:32am | IP Logged | 11  

Not the most flattering of assessments, but that doesn't necessarily mean it was a line meant to appease Byrne-bashers. 

The rest of the piece continues to be a neutral-positive look at the Byrne run on Hulk, and Miller's ultimate conclusion seems to be that the writers who followed owe a large part of their success due to the groundwork laid in those issues.

I came away from the article with the clear impression that Miller LIKED the Byrne run on Hulk, and would have been interested to see where you were going to take it.

John Byrne
Grumpy Old Guy

Posted: 28 March 2011 at 10:28am | IP Logged | 12  

++

Not the most flattering of assessments, but that doesn't necessarily mean it was a line meant to appease Byrne-bashers.

••

Call it appeasement, or call it yet another manifestation of that annoying habit some fans have of not being able to simply express a liking for something without having to QUALIFY it. As if they are afraid that saying "I like Joe Fonebone's work!" will unleash a torrent of demands that justification must be given for liking an issue Joe did fifteen years ago, when he was recovering from brain surgery and drawing with his feet.

Page of 12 Next >>
  Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version