Active Topics | Member List | Search | Help | Register | Login
The John Byrne Forum
Byrne Robotics > The John Byrne Forum << Prev Page of 7
Topic: How Would You Have Brought Back Gwen Stacy? (Topic Closed Topic Closed) Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 23 March 2011 at 11:03pm | IP Logged | 1  

But, Rog's opinion's valid, right?

Valid as yours & mine. He starts the sentence with "I think...".

I just thought I'd throw in my support for something I like. It stand up well for me.
NOW!
What happened LATER, not-so-much!

Back to Top profile | search | www e-mail

Mark Haslett
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 23 March 2011 at 11:35pm | IP Logged | 2  

Thanks. I love when conversations get back on the tracks. I started my first post with an "agree to disagree" disclaimer because this is all opinion. I zeroed in on the "almost perfect" phrase because that is sort of something that can be discussed. I mean, I like a lot of comics that I wouldn't call "almost perfect" because that's such a high compliment. Kirby's last 20 FF aren't perfect, but they're almost perfect. The "Clone saga"? Not so much -- imho.

I totally agree that the art was delicious. And I was able to enjoy it (for a while) as an emotional twister for Peter.

But the story has big, weird implications that I felt weren't handled properly. By the time it ended, I felt cheated. I wasn't happy with who the Jackal turned out to be and I really couldn't get with the Gwen clone just walking off --or Peter letting her! As a real clone, I felt she wasn't something that could just be "dropped". Would he let a Ben Parker clone just walk off?

But these were common problems I was having with Spider-Man of that vintage. I kept coming and going from the book. It's definitely been my ruminating over the state of comics that has made me dislike the storyline more and more over the years. I wish Spider-Man was still written for my 9 year old kids. I can't help thinking if these Gwen "death of/clone of" stories hadn't been done, the character would have weathered the years better.

Back to Top profile | search

Carmen Bernardo
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 24 March 2011 at 5:37am | IP Logged | 3  

Isn't there an alternate page that Ross Andru did of that classic reveal from the original "Clone Saga" that had Peter Parker having an all together more extreme reaction to "Gwen Stacy" standing at his door?  That was something that made me think "It was all for the fun of it."

Michael Penn
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 24 March 2011 at 9:06am | IP Logged | 4  

JB, have your sources confirmed anything about Stan ordering Gwen's return?

Brandon Carter
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 24 March 2011 at 9:28am | IP Logged | 5  

Speaking of the original Clone Saga, the following is solicited for June:

SPIDER-MAN: THE ORIGINAL CLONE SAGA TPB
Written by GERRY CONWAY, ARCHIE GOODWIN & BILL MANTLO
Penciled by ROSS ANDRU, GIL KANE, JIM MOONEY, FRANK MILLER, FRANK SPRINGER, SAL BUSCEMA & MARK BAGLEY
Cover by GIL KANE
Remember the good old days when Spidey’s life wasn’t very complicated? When evil scientists like the Jackal sought to destroy him? When Gwen Stacy showed up on his doorstep, suddenly alive? When a morning spin in the Spider-Mobile was interrupted by an attack from Mysterio? When Carrion sought to strangle the life out of him time and again? See the original clone saga unravel as Spider-Man tries to keep up! Collecting AMAZING SPIDER-MAN #139-150; and PETER PARKER, THE SPECTACULAR SPIDER-MAN (1976) #25-31, #149, #162-163 & ANNUAL #8
480 PGS./Rated A …$39.99
ISBN: 978-0-7851-5523-2

This includes the original stories with the Gwen Stacy/Peter Parker clones, plus the initial storyline with Carrion, and also the retcon stories involving the Gwen Stacy clone and Carrion.  It's a good collection of stories but I'm a little disappointed that Amazing Spider-Man #129 and #130 aren't included.  Those are the first two appearances of the Jackal (and also the first appearances of the Punisher and the Spider-Mobile.)

Back to Top profile | search e-mail

Mark Haslett
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 26 March 2011 at 11:48am | IP Logged | 6  

Okay, now for the real question:

How would you bring back the Clones in current continuity?

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

<< Prev Page of 7
  Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version