Active Topics | Member List | Search | Help | Register | Login
The John Byrne Forum
Byrne Robotics > The John Byrne Forum << Prev Page of 7 Next >>
Topic: How Would You Have Brought Back Gwen Stacy? (Topic Closed Topic Closed) Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 23 March 2011 at 3:01am | IP Logged | 1  

Following what really happened in the books, I would have shown Warren kidnap her before dying, replacing her with a clone. The clone would then be abducted by the Goblin, killed etc... No one would be able to tell the difference, but at some point Gwen could return. At any point...
Back to Top profile | search | www e-mail

Eric Joseph Hernandez
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 23 March 2011 at 6:36am | IP Logged | 2  

I have to ask, and it's been bugging me.  I've not been able to get back issues, hard for me to find here.:

Have they ever shown what happened to the clone once she left any time?

I liked that storyline when I was reading it.   That cruveball comes up and I was  "what the hell?!!"

Back to Top profile | search e-mail

Craig Bogart
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 23 March 2011 at 6:53am | IP Logged | 3  

They covered the return of the clone in an annual (an "Evolutionary War" crossover, not sure which Spider-title) where it was revealed that Warren didn't actually clone anyone!  He didn't have that advanced technology, but instead kidnapped people and genetically modified them to appear to be other people.  At the end, the High Evolutionary (I think) restores the Gwen double to her original identity.

Unfortunately for us all, this was ignored a couple years later when the 1990s clone mess started up.

Monte Gruhlke
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 23 March 2011 at 7:58am | IP Logged | 4  

Because we needed more confusion in the clone saga. I think I'd read that too, but any man capable of creating a number of Spider-Man oiented offshoots complete with powers and memories can probably do whatever he wants with DNA and make clones. The High Evolutionary was probably nursing a bruised ego. :-D

I think that the H.E.'s involvement was a writer's unnecessary compunction to explain away Warren's cloning. How would the H.E. know anyway? He doesn't close, he forces cross-species splicing and forces evolutionary shifts from existing beings; he doesn't clone anything.

Carmen Bernardo
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 23 March 2011 at 10:27am | IP Logged | 5  

Very interesting to read the articles, several years after the events of the original clone stories were concluded.  That Gwen was a character that a lot of fans became attached to by the time of her demise in Amazing Spider-Man attests to the appeal of the character.  I really liked the character's (re)design under the pencil of John Romita Sr.

In my fanboyish college days, I even entertained an outlandish little "Gwen Stacy Resurrection" idea of my own.  In it, some unidentified agency managed to transfer the memories and personality of Gwen into a cosmic-powered synthezoid body through Kirbytech means, but she was kept in a state of deactivation for years until some kids stumbled into the now-defunct facility where she was being stored and activated her.  Needless to say, after a period of shock at what's happened to her, she goes off in search of Spider-Man, fighting the Green Goblin along the way, before realizing that she has to live with the responsibilities of being revived as a super-powered synthetic being more powerful than the Vision.

I could've included "Super-Gwen" in an Avengers lineup after that.

Back to Top profile | search

Michael Roberts
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 23 March 2011 at 10:57am | IP Logged | 6  

They covered the return of the clone in an annual (an "Evolutionary War" crossover, not sure which Spider-title) where it was revealed that Warren didn't actually clone anyone! He didn't have that advanced technology, but instead kidnapped people and genetically modified them to appear to be other people. At the end, the High Evolutionary (I think) restores the Gwen double to her original identity.

Unfortunately for us all, this was ignored a couple years later when the 1990s clone mess started up.

-----

The story did end up getting addressed during the Clone Saga. I think it boiled down to the High Evolutionary lying in that Evolutionary War story. And I think Daydreamer, the Young God who "restored" the Gwen clone, had just created a fake identity because she felt sorry for the clone and wanted to help her have her own life.

Sam Karns
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 23 March 2011 at 11:47am | IP Logged | 7  

I would have Peter wake up, hear water running in the bathroom, walk in and open the shower door and there is Gwen taking a shower. ;0)

The good ol' DALLAS approach.

Joseph Gauthier
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 23 March 2011 at 12:10pm | IP Logged | 8  

The story did end up getting addressed during the Clone Saga. I think it boiled down to the High Evolutionary lying in that Evolutionary War story. And I think Daydreamer, the Young God who "restored" the Gwen clone, had just created a fake identity because she felt sorry for the clone and wanted to help her have her own life.

Did they address the Carrion issue too?

Roger A Ott II
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 23 March 2011 at 12:23pm | IP Logged | 9  

I think the original Clone Saga was done almost perfect.  It gave us a true look at the obsessive madness of the Jackal, and put Peter Parker through the wringer trying to figure it all out.

That particular era of Spider-Man comics still stands head and shoulders above a lot of other comics.
Back to Top profile | search | www

Michael Roberts
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 23 March 2011 at 1:26pm | IP Logged | 10  

Did they address the Carrion issue too?

----

Yes, but I don't recall how.

Joseph Gauthier
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 23 March 2011 at 2:45pm | IP Logged | 11  

I just read about the 90's clone saga and it seems pretty confusing, and I honestly don't have any clearer idea of what it was about than I did before I read about it-- I guess I'd have to read the actual comics.
I remember at the time it came out, however, that I had already abandoned Marvel but bought and read the first couple installments because of my interest in the original story.  I quickly realized it wasn't my cup of tea and didn't follow up.
But I've always been curious about it.

Pete Carrubba
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 23 March 2011 at 3:14pm | IP Logged | 12  

If my task was to bring back Gwen Stacy, it would actually be Gwen Stacy, not a clone or some other thing that isn't really her. 

I'd probably make it a time-travel or changing history story, where Gwen is at some point replaced with a some kind of double, and she re-emerges at the right time to re-enter Peter Parker's life. I'd also make sure "Sins Past" was relegated to an alternate reality. 

The trick, though, is what to do about Mary Jane. My assumption is that I'd be bringing Gwen back now, which would set up a conflict with Peter Parker. 

If I were to bring her back right after her death, then that would make Peter's life unfold differently than what we have seen to date. It's an interesting concept, but I'm not so sure as to how I'd handle the aftermath of Gwen's return. Bringing her back is relatively easy by comic standards, but what to do once she's here is another matter. 
Back to Top profile | search | www e-mail

<< Prev Page of 7 Next >>
  Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version