Active Topics | Member List | Search | Help | Register | Login
The John Byrne Forum
Byrne Robotics > The John Byrne Forum << Prev Page of 3
Topic: Animation Cels (Topic Closed Topic Closed) Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 16 March 2011 at 8:03pm | IP Logged | 1  

This thread reminded me of a cel I used to have from one of the Patlabor anime series. I was really into the shows and movies several years ago and wanted anything associated with them. My obsession has since passed, but it is still one of my favorites. Now if I can only remember where I stored that cel.
Back to Top profile | search | www

Keith Thomas
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 17 March 2011 at 1:09am | IP Logged | 2  

When I was in Japan we hit a bunch of places that sold cels from anime(bins of them) but none were from any shows I wanted (or if they were were way too expensive) wish I had bought something though... I think I got an animation cel from the Ewoks cartoon somewhere I got when I bought some Star Wars thing. I think it was just an arm LOL.

Not cels but one neat thing when you tour the Studio Ghibli museum your ticket contains a strip of film from one of their movies I got Whisper of the Heart but traded some girl since that was her favorite movie, I think I have Kiki's Delivery Service. I remember you could buy cels in their gift shop but they were almost all reproductions (and still really expensive)

Oh and I'd love to own a 40's Bugs Bunny as I've seen interviews with the original artists who said most of the original cels were cleaned off and reused so almost none of the originals exist.

Edited by Keith Thomas on 17 March 2011 at 1:12am
Back to Top profile | search

Anthony Dean Kotorac
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 17 March 2011 at 5:22am | IP Logged | 3  

I own two cels

I picked this one up for a good price. I am a huge Ren and Stimpy fan so this was a treat. I have it framed with a card I had Billy West sign in a convention prior to getting this. If I can get John K to sign this or a card I'll reframe it with both.
I also own a cel from Ralph Bakshi's Coonskin signed by Ralph himself. HIs son asked me if he wanted it signed or not and I said hell yes! I won't post it here as it may not be safe for those who look at this site at work.

Matthew Hansel
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 17 March 2011 at 8:26am | IP Logged | 4  

I'd give real money for an UNDERDOG cell, but, according to Joe Harris, Underdog's creator, the cells were mostly destroyed after the show stopped production.  ONCE in a blue moon on will show up*, but not very often.

Since finding one has been so hard, I've had to settle for a storyboard from the show, and I'm doubly happy that my board HAS Underdog in it and was done by JOE HARRIS!  Yay!

MPH

*As Joe tells it, the few cells that have popped up over the years have been in immaculate condition because the show's cells were actually made in Mexico.  The Mexican artists didn't have access to animation paint traditionally used, so they mixed up outdoor latex house paint and used that.  Given the durability of the paint, and the fact that the cells never went outside to experience the weather, the colors are BRIGHT and POWERFUL.  Just an amusing side note. 
Back to Top profile | search | www e-mail

Trevor Giberson
Byrne Robotics Chronology

Posted: 17 March 2011 at 8:37am | IP Logged | 5  

A few weeks ago I was thinking about buying some old '70s Tarzan animation cells from eBay.  I decided against it because I really didn't know what I'd be getting.  They had images, but I don't know much about cells - how big they are, what they are made of, etc.  I tried to find out more online, but didn't have much luck.

Brad Danson
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 17 March 2011 at 8:53am | IP Logged | 6  

Jeff, that is a REALLY nice cel.  With the redundancy of that cartoon, it was probably used in EVERY episode! :)

CJ Grebb
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 17 March 2011 at 12:32pm | IP Logged | 7  

Disney cleaned most of their early cells with acetone in order to re-use them - so sadly much of that early work is gone (except, of course, for the fact that they were all photographed and remain in film form).

And of course nowadays most 2D animation is digitally inked and painted - so the concept of a "cell" is now purely figurative. So those of you who have genuine cartoon cells really have something rare. Even if 2D animation comes back into vogue, any "cells" sold from those films will be re-creations.

CJ Grebb
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 17 March 2011 at 12:37pm | IP Logged | 8  

@Anthony

You know, I'm really not a giant fan of Bakshi's movies (although Wizards is pretty damn cool) but I adore the man himself. Mainly because he gave what is perhaps my favorite speech about the state of the animation industry - check it out if you haven't seen it:

Edited by CJ Grebb on 17 March 2011 at 12:58pm

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

<< Prev Page of 3
  Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version