Active Topics | Member List | Search | Help | Register | Login
The John Byrne Forum
Byrne Robotics > The John Byrne Forum << Prev Page of 3 Next >>
Topic: Animation Cels (Topic Closed Topic Closed) Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 15 March 2011 at 6:27pm | IP Logged | 1  

I got this one from the Warner Bros Store in Buffalo NY back in 2000. Autographed by Kevin Conroy hisself!

In 1995 I bought a piece from their gallery and got on their mailing list. From this I eventually learned that Kevin Conroy -THE voice of Batman!- was making a personal appearance at the store. I picked this piece because it's from my favourite episode "You Scratch My Back" and includes Nightwing.
He's a super-nice guy and even posed for a photo with me! (Yes, PHOTOGRAPH. This was eleven years ago!) I'll have to dig it out and post it here when I find it.

Back to Top profile | search

Lars Sandmark
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 15 March 2011 at 6:29pm | IP Logged | 2  

He used a silver marker and it's kinda neat becuse it's reflective when the lighting hits it just right.

Joel Biske
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 15 March 2011 at 6:29pm | IP Logged | 3  

Sadly... Disney DIDN'T keep every cel ever made.... in fact, most of them were thrown out.... Nowadays.... they keep everything. They have a division in California called the ARL (Animation Research Library) I only worked at the Florida studio, so I don't know what the access is for the CA studio, but they used to have shows for us as inspirations for us. They have chunks of the actual rough animation, backgrounds, layouts, concept art and some cel set-ups. They didn't keep every cel. James Coleman wrote in his book that when he started at the studio in the late 60's one of his first jobs was to clean house and throw out most of the Lady and the Tramp cels. Sad. Years ago, there was a Snow White cel set-up for sale in the gallery outside the animation tour. It had SW and all 7 dwarves. It was pretty beat up with some of the vinyl flaking off... it had a repro background and I think its was 10-12K.
Back to Top profile | search | www e-mail

Dave Aikins
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 15 March 2011 at 6:57pm | IP Logged | 4  

I have two Batman Animated series cels- one with Etrigan, Batman & Robin. I have a Batmite cel from the 70's, a Godzilla cel, a Flash Gordon cel, a 90's Gatchaman cel, and some other random cels, drawings and character color guides...

Fun stuff, but not as big of an interest to me as it was in the 90's...
Back to Top profile | search e-mail

Tim O Neill
Byrne Robotics Security

Posted: 15 March 2011 at 7:32pm | IP Logged | 5  

I love animation art - my favorite from what I own is a production cel from the Leftorium episode of "The Simspons".  It's Homer and Santa's Little Helper drooling while looking outside the window.  It still makes me laugh.  It's my only production cel - I wish I had more.

I have a Simpsons series cel (meaning it was created for sale, not used in production) featuring a bunch of the characters standing in a line, as if for a photo.  I think they were taken from the character sheets.  It's really cool even though it sounds boring - I should post a picture when I get home

Another series cel is a recreation of two cels from Robert McKimson's "Wabbit Twouble" - they are framed side by side.  One is the title card, and the other features Bugs Bunny and Elmer Fudd

And finally, I was given this cel after finishing a college internship at Disney Television Animation.  I was working on Rescue Rangers, TaleSpin, Winnie the Pooh and some other shows (Duck Tales had already wrapped by the time I got there).  They gave this to me as a gift when I was leaving and everyone signed the frame - what a wonderful bunch they were.  It hangs in my old room in New Jersey, and this is the only pic I have of it on hand - sorry for the lousy quality:

(I always think I am taking fantastic pictures and am inexplicably shocked at how awful they are when I finally look at them!!)

Wes Wescovich
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 15 March 2011 at 7:58pm | IP Logged | 6  

I have a production cel of Captain Marvel holding an elephant over his head from the short-lived Filmation SHAZAM! series.  I also have a 1960's (the good stuff) Jonny Quest cel of Jonny and Hadji waist up, side-by-side walking toward the camera.  The former came matted and is on the wall of my comic room, but the latter is stored away somewhere with old art boards awaiting a nice matte and frame one day.  

Bill Mimbu
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 15 March 2011 at 8:33pm | IP Logged | 7  

I have quite a few anime cels from now-obscure shows of the late 80s thru early 90s.

Not the most colorful cel in my collection, but recent enough to be recognizable by the members here:

Roger Smith, from THE BIG-O

Jodi Moisan
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 15 March 2011 at 10:50pm | IP Logged | 8  

Jeff that is a great cel.

Tim I am just very envious of you!!! All those shows were favorites to watch with Jon when he was a little guy. It's nice to find out they were not only talented they were nice people to work with.

Paul I can't believe there are classes for animation, sometimes I get sad I am in the middle of no where.

Bill, what are your favorite anime?  My son Jackson loves it, his favorite is Deathnote.

Back to Top profile | search | www

Bill Mimbu
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 15 March 2011 at 11:50pm | IP Logged | 9  

Favorite anime?  Man, too many to list, and some of them are now a bit obscure to current anime fandom... 

A small sample would be: Space Battleship Yamato (Star Blazers) TV Season 2; Macross: Do You Remember Love? movie; Mobile Suit Gundam: Char's Counterattack movie; Giant Robo -The Animation; Wings of Honneamise movie; Lupin III: Castle of Cagliostro movie; Dirty Pair: Project Eden movie; and of course, The Big-O Season 1.

Getting back to one of your original questions, Jodi...  I'd love to get a good animation cel of Yoko from Tengen Toppa Gurren Lagann, but that's impossible since shows have now gone to digital painting.

Francesco Vanagolli
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 16 March 2011 at 8:44am | IP Logged | 10  

I have just one cel, from Masters of the Universe, my favorite cartoon during my childhood.

I'd like to own at least one cel from Hokuto no Ken, Dragon Ball and City Hunter, those aren't so rare, but with those money I can buy other stuff. Like comics, you know!

Lars Sandmark
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 16 March 2011 at 7:30pm | IP Logged | 11  

Here's a photo of me with Kevin Conroy.

The Store employee who took the shot didn't know how to use my camera and I was coaching her while trying to retain my (dopey) smile. Ugh. The result is embarrassing but at leasy I wasn't blinking like usual.

Lars Sandmark
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 16 March 2011 at 7:32pm | IP Logged | 12  

I also own this baby, pre-signed by Mark Hamill

<< Prev Page of 3 Next >>
  Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version