Active Topics | Member List | Search | Help | Register | Login
The John Byrne Forum
Byrne Robotics > The John Byrne Forum << Prev Page of 11 Next >>
Topic: DOOM PATROL (Topic Closed Topic Closed) Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Byrne Robotics Chronology

Posted: 19 March 2011 at 10:22pm | IP Logged | 1  

I quite liked Joe Staton, to tell you the truth.
Back to Top profile | search

Darren De Vouge
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 19 March 2011 at 10:39pm | IP Logged | 2  

I really miss JB's Doom Patrol series too.

It's funny how so much of the characters and background from that series just stand out in my mind, so many months after the fact: Elihu the Confederate ghost, Nudge & Grunt, the factory floor, the Chief's exo skeleton, those unique B/W uniforms, Key Mordaz, and of course Larry Rita, Cliff and the Chief!  The was a lot going with this series.  DC should have really given it more of a chance. I'm not really the type who does a lot of fanboy raving but I feel there really was the potential for it to have been a classic.

The current DP series has been cancelled (yet again) with its 22nd issue.

Wallace Sellars
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 20 March 2011 at 5:31am | IP Logged | 3  

The current DP series has been cancelled (yet again) with its 22nd
issue.
---
I gave it a try early on, and then another look a few months ago, but
nothing I saw grabbed me.
Back to Top profile | search | www

Thomas Moudry
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 20 March 2011 at 7:37am | IP Logged | 4  

I've enjoyed each iteration of the Doom Patrol beginning with their return in
the late 1970s under Paul Kupperberg and Joe Staton—with the exception of
Grant Morrison's run beyond his first four issues. It's a shame there doesn't
seem to be a market for the series beyond two years these days.

Incidentally, I didn't read any of the original Doom Patrol stories before
1980, when I happened upon the early 1970s reprint issues of the series.

John Byrne
Grumpy Old Guy

Posted: 20 March 2011 at 9:57am | IP Logged | 5  

Man, if you think comics fans are crazy about continuity, you should check out Star Wars and Star Trek fans. They're insane!

••

But cut from very different bolts of cloth. As I have noted many times before, one the smartest decisions made by the Powers That Were at Paramount was to declare that only THEY produced the "real" STAR TREK, and comics, novels, and anything else that came along outside the TV shows and the movies were naught but glorified fan fiction.

George Lucas, on the other hand, made what I consider the galaxy-sized mistake of allowing much of his story to be told in other media.

STAR TREK fans, while they may be ever bit as crazy about "continuity" as their title (short for "fanatic", remember) indicates, at least have a much smaller pool over which to keep watch.

Tim Farnsworth
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 20 March 2011 at 11:09am | IP Logged | 6  

As many Star Wars comics, books and video games as there have been, my understanding has always been that for Lucas only the movies "really" count.

I think there current Clone Wars cartoon may be canonical, too, come to think of it, as Lucas has a more immediate hand.

Tim Farnsworth
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 20 March 2011 at 11:29am | IP Logged | 7  

Re: Morrison's run

I read a smattering of issues in the 90s and now own it all in trades, but I've still never gotten around to reading it all. I liked a fair amount of what I've read. After the first year where it flirted with the DC setting, it became much more "Grant Morrison" than "Doom Patrol," and I liked that alright, too. But apparently didn't find it compelling enough to read it all before now!

I think I'll pay a return visit once I've gone through JB's run (my missing back issues should arrive next week) and some more Showcase reading.

Mark McKay
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 20 March 2011 at 12:13pm | IP Logged | 8  

I've been on vacation in sunny Florida so I am catching up on this thread a
bit.

My question to JB was if he would be interested in sharing how Rita received
her powers. I understood all of the rest of the stories brought up in the
thread. (I thought the "hair" thing was touching, by the way).

Was there an explanation of the origin of her powers?

Back to Top profile | search e-mail

Trevor Giberson
Byrne Robotics Chronology

Posted: 20 March 2011 at 5:00pm | IP Logged | 9  

Man, if you think comics fans are crazy about continuity, you should check out Star Wars and Star Trek fans. They're insane!

••

But cut from very different bolts of cloth. As I have noted many times before, one the smartest decisions made by the Powers That Were at Paramount was to declare that only THEY produced the "real" STAR TREK, and comics, novels, and anything else that came along outside the TV shows and the movies were naught but glorified fan fiction.

George Lucas, on the other hand, made what I consider the galaxy-sized mistake of allowing much of his story to be told in other media.

STAR TREK fans, while they may be ever bit as crazy about "continuity" as their title (short for "fanatic", remember) indicates, at least have a much smaller pool over which to keep watch.

It is all the same, IMO.  Genre fans (including myself) get generally bonkers over trivia.

Michael Arndt
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 21 March 2011 at 9:39am | IP Logged | 10  

Been going through the Doom Patrol pencil scans. Really beautiful work.
Back to Top profile | search e-mail

B. Morningway
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 21 March 2011 at 10:35am | IP Logged | 11  

"Whatever one's opinion of Morrison's DOOM PATROL, it is a very interesting case study in what fans -- DC fans, at any rate -- are prepared to accept as long as it is "in continuity"."

I find that as far as Grant Morrison is concerned, fans seem to think that in order to be cool, they cannot say anything bad about him, and instead sheep all those that claim that Morrison is the most epic writer since Alan Moore. The closest that I've seen this to coming to an end was during and after Final Crisis. Unfortunately that debacle seems to have been forgotten now, and Morrison is once again the proverbial cat's meow.

As far as Morrison's Doom Patrol goes, I haven't actually read it, but then I tend to try not to read anything that Morrison writes, as I have a hard time understanding it; not understanding the material, mind you, but why people find it to be so good.

Garry Porter II
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 21 March 2011 at 10:36am | IP Logged | 12  

Read Grant Morrison's run and couldn't make heads nor tails of it.

••

Whatever one's opinion of Morrison's DOOM PATROL, it is a very interesting case study in what fans -- DC fans, at any rate -- are prepared to accept as long as it is "in continuity".

funny you should bring that up JB.  i was never a big fan of the morrison doom patrol.  it didn't make sense to me.  nothing about being a hero was in that run.

but, i remember grant morrison responding to comments and criticisms made about his super-hero writing(and writing in general).  at the time, some of these comments were aimed at his doom patrol run, by certain older-school creators and basically how morrison's run contradicted the original intent of the creator.

morrison fired back a reply(when asked the by interviewer), and stated how he talked to the creator of doom patrol (arnold drake, before his passing) , and how mr. drake praised his run, and said it is very much in tune of what he intended the series to be.

so i guess, at least in the minds of grant morrison and his fans, the fact the creator praised his stories and continuity justifies his doom patrol stories.

but, for some reason, even if morrison feels justified by the creator, i still can't justify his doom patrol as canon.

<< Prev Page of 11 Next >>
  Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version