Active Topics | Member List | Search | Help | Register | Login
The John Byrne Forum
Byrne Robotics > The John Byrne Forum << Prev Page of 11 Next >>
Topic: DOOM PATROL (Topic Closed Topic Closed) Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Grumpy Old Guy

Posted: 16 March 2011 at 5:37am | IP Logged | 1  

Despite all the comparisons between DP and X-Men that people seem to like to bring up, the tone of DP seems much more like that of FF to me and JB does both well.   

••

Those comparisons sprang from the often shallow perceptions of many fans. Both teams were led by guys in wheelchairs, so they must be basically the same, right?

Fact is, as noted, the points of comparison between the Doom Patrol and the FF are much more numerous. Heck, their big strong guys are even both orange!!

Back to Top profile | search

Flavio Sapha
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 16 March 2011 at 11:04am | IP Logged | 2  

The main similarity, to me, is that while the FF is a mainstream super
team, the X-men and the DP are outcasts.

Chad Carter
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 16 March 2011 at 7:10pm | IP Logged | 3  

One of the best covers since the heyday of the Bronze Age:

Also, that whole Robotman arc really intrigued me. I felt DP was getting solid ground under it at that point.

Chad Carter
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 16 March 2011 at 7:27pm | IP Logged | 4  

About Cliff Steele's strength:

I never worry too much about how strong a character is, in scale. I like what he can't do. Like Superman should have trouble lifting a battleship. I mean, the ship should at least be somewhat heavy to Superman.

In that Superman story JB did prior to leaving the title, which crossed over with Kupperberg and Larsen's DP of that time, Robotman could hit the Man of Steel hard enough to be felt, but not really hurt him. Cliff is probably strong enough to pick up a car and toss it. He was shown bending a tank's main gun in the 1960s. I never got the idea Cliff is Thing-level strong, or Blockbuster or any super heavyweights.

One of the advantages of Robotman is that he's pretty damn strong, but he's also not clumsily bulky. Which flies in the face of my "Box-up" Cliff argument, but Cliff is pretty much the size of a tall man, and probably pretty fast given his robotic enhancement. I'd think Robotman could box rings around a lot of big heavyweight characters. Of course they only need one good shot to destroy him, but whatever.

Even bulked up, a robot body probably doesn't have the same stress points as a human body. There's so much you could do with Robotman. You could make him double-jointed. Four arms. Give him a weapons system for the really big jobs.

I find Robotman to be my favorite character these days, very interesting from a concept standpoint. He gets me thinking.

Recently I read the issues of Mark Waid's JLA: YEAR ONE where the DP show up. At one point, the Chief is building a robotic arm for Hal Jordan (who had his, well, removed by The Brain), and Hal complains he can't feel the arm. The Chief remarks that he once hooked Cliff's robotic sensors to his brain's nerve receptors or whatever they're called, and that Cliff had never asked for that to be done again.

But I wonder: could Cliff have a "sensory" robot body, with some kind of synth-skin, just for relaxation. A body which would look like Cliff as a man, with a human face, connected to his brain to allow him to feel pleasure, sexual and otherwise?

Wallace Sellars
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 16 March 2011 at 8:00pm | IP Logged | 5  

But I wonder: could Cliff have a "sensory" robot body...

...connected to his brain to allow him to feel pleasure---I think Cliff got
that in the final issue of JB's DOOMPATROL run, but I may have
misunderstood our host's intent.

Edited by Wallace Sellars on 16 March 2011 at 8:00pm

Back to Top profile | search | www

Tim Farnsworth
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 16 March 2011 at 8:22pm | IP Logged | 6  

@Chad

I like Robotman a lot, too. When I think of benchmarks, it's usually along the lines of a quick "what might they be able to lift?" without figuring out actual weights or anything. With Spider-Man it seems like maybe a car or truck, but it'd take some serious work. With Robotman, I can maybe see him topping out with a dump truck or a tank. Definitely above Spider-Man, but considerably less than, as you note, The Thing.

I really enjoyed those Marvel Handbooks in my teens, strength levels included, so I don't mind a bit of codification, but it certainly seems it can become a straitjacket. I kind of like having some broad benchmarks, though. I remember that strength chart they did in an old Spider-Man annual that used boxing-style rankings (lightweights, heavyweights, etc) and I like that a little better than the Marvel Universe Handbooks, though even that had some weird calls.

I think if I were playing around with figuring levels, I might break it down to HUMAN (varying degrees of normal human strength), STRONG (Spider-Man, Robotman), STRONGER (The Thing, Iron Man), STRONGEST (Superman, Thor, Hulk). And allow that of course there's variation for even individuals. Spider-Man pushing himself to maximum capacity might jump up a level. A calm Hulk might be down a level. And so on.

Tim Farnsworth
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 16 March 2011 at 8:27pm | IP Logged | 7  

Oh, and I remember enjoying the Doom Patrol appearance in JLA year one. In fact, I recall liking their issue the best and even feeling they overshadowed the JLA. No idea how the story would be for me if I gave it a re-read nowaways, as I've somewhat soured on Waid. At the time, though...

Regarding upgrades for Cliff, I'm of two minds. On one side, upgrades open up a great variety of dramatic story options. On the other, I sometimes find simplicity is the best. Robotman definitely shares some of the Thing's angst with being trapped in a body with severe limitations. That's the character's most potent dramatic angle, so straying too far from it runs the risk of undermining his "hook."

As I've noted in this very thread, though, sometimes a good story can win me over on such chances. It's a "case by case" judgment call for me.

Aaron Smith
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 17 March 2011 at 10:20am | IP Logged | 8  

But I wonder: could Cliff have a "sensory" robot body...

...connected to his brain to allow him to feel pleasure---I think Cliff got
that in the final issue of JB's DOOMPATROL run, but I may have
misunderstood our host's intent.

I thought the same thing. In fact, I read  a little too much into the fact that Cliff wore shorts with his new body in that last issue. Our host corrected that assumption in a thread about DP a while back.

Back to Top profile | search | www e-mail

Dana Smith
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 17 March 2011 at 6:09pm | IP Logged | 9  

Chad, I have to point out something about the photo you posted of Cliff on page one.  The bulky Cliff image you posted and said was from Batman:  The Brave and the Bold is not.  It's from the Teen Titans series.  Cliff in Brave and Bold looks almost exactly like his Silver Age self.

Dana

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hHKBUWA5XLo

Chad Carter
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 17 March 2011 at 8:38pm | IP Logged | 10  

Sweet overview of the DP! I haven't seen the episode yet.

Right, the Teen Titans bulky Robotman kind of appealed to me. It was a product of the animation style, but I sometimes think Cliff in the comics doesn't stand out enough physically. Plus, it gave him more of a Ben Grimm appearance.

Also, having Robotman in a bulkier robot-gorilla body makes him more unique within the DCU. There aren't too many bulky heroes at DC, if you'll note. Whenever there is a bruiser, they're usually a villain or monster of some sort.

Chad Carter
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 17 March 2011 at 8:43pm | IP Logged | 11  

Most definitely the best Waid writing on JLA was in that YEAR ONE series, I think. The Doom Patrol crossover was the best issues of the series, I think, with the JLA suffering horrific crippling (Martian Manhunter eyes are removed, Hal's arm, Flash's legs, ect). It's a very Silver Age type story with modern grotesquerie, which I wish had its own sub-genre in today's books. Darwyn Cooke famously brought such a non-existent sub-genre to its apex with NEW FRONTIER.

Tim Farnsworth
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 17 March 2011 at 9:15pm | IP Logged | 12  

Fun clip of BRAVE & THE BOLD, with the animators really tipping their hat to the Silver Age.

Geez, I really need to rent that show and finally give it a decent look. Every clip I see is a hoot.

<< Prev Page of 11 Next >>
  Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version