Active Topics | Member List | Search | Help | Register | Login
The John Byrne Forum
Byrne Robotics > The John Byrne Forum << Prev Page of 11 Next >>
Topic: DOOM PATROL (Topic Closed Topic Closed) Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Byrne Robotics Member
Official JB Historian

Posted: 13 March 2011 at 8:59pm | IP Logged | 1  

I happened to re-read this a few weeks ago and I forgot how ugly it was - I mean that in a good way. I second what Doug said about the Grunt/Nudge origin. What happened to those kids made my physically ill when I read it. Jim Thompson is the only other guy to get that reactiion out of me.

I loved it. Much like some of the others on here, to my shock, I found myself much more interested in Grunt/Nudge, though, based on other JB work, I feel that given time, the other DPers would have risen to the surface. I find on JB's best work, like Wonder Woman, the stories are a slow burn, building, and by the time it is done, everyone gets their moment on the stage.

Edited by Mike O'Brien on 21 March 2011 at 8:04pm

Back to Top profile | search

Josh Goldberg
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 13 March 2011 at 9:17pm | IP Logged | 2  

Big fan of JB's DOOM PATROL here.  I might be due for a re-reading, myself (gotta include the JLA arc as well).

Tim Farnsworth
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 13 March 2011 at 10:28pm | IP Logged | 3  

Reminded of the series by a thread in the Movie forum the other day, I just started re-reading the series. Good times, so far! I love the prison HQ.

Mark McKay
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 13 March 2011 at 10:40pm | IP Logged | 4  

JB,

Are we far enough away from this series where you can tell us what your
origin for Rita would have been? how she got her powers and came to
work for the Chief?

Also, if Carlin hadn't suggested the idea of a reboot, would you still have
done the series—somehow rebuilding the team to what you wanted, in-
continuity?

Back to Top profile | search e-mail

Tim Farnsworth
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 13 March 2011 at 10:52pm | IP Logged | 5  

Incidentally, wondering a bit about Robotman's strength while re-reading the book is what led me to start the thread asking how JB measures strength. For whatever reason, Robotman's level seems particularly elusive for me. I'm only a few issues in, though, and haven't had a lot of context.

Jason Czeskleba
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 14 March 2011 at 2:31am | IP Logged | 6  

Brian Hague wrote:
Marvel's Devil-Slayer and Dominic Fortune were both originally 70'sAtlas Comics characters brought over with permission of the Atlaspublishers who allowed creators to retain some rights to theircharacters.

I'm pretty sure it's it's a myth that Atlas' publishers gave Chaykin or Buckler permission to recycle their characters, or that they were allowed to retain some vaguely-defined rights to them.  Given Martin Goodman's history, it's unlikely he would do that.  Also, if the creators retained the rights, why did they change their names and costumes?  Were they allowed to retain the rights to the general concept and basic appearance of the characters, but not the specific name or exact costume?  That seems very unlikely... I don't think copyright can be split that way or be that vague.

And if they did retain some rights, they certainly wouldn't have taken the characters to Marvel, because in doing so they would lose all rights they did have to the Marvel versions.  Marvel wouldn't have been willing to publish a creator-owned property, and it seems clear that Marvel does indeed own Devil Slayer and Dominic Fortune now.

I think the likely scenario is that Chaykin and Buckler just figured they could get away with recycling the characters, and that no one would notice or care.  After Atlas, Goodman was retired and he likely viewed the whole thing as a big waste of time and money, and viewed the characters as worthless.  He probably didn't even know they did it, but also probably wouldn't have thought it was worth the trouble to send a cease and desist if he did know.  

Michael Arndt
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 14 March 2011 at 4:38am | IP Logged | 7  

I loved this series. Hated to see it end. My favorite plot was when Robotman went undercover in the robot games. Also, I was curious as to what Rita's origin was.

Thomas Moudry
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 14 March 2011 at 4:57am | IP Logged | 8  

Really enjoyed this series and hated to see it end--same thing for Blood of
the Demon, too.

Ed Love
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 14 March 2011 at 7:16am | IP Logged | 9  

According to Chaykin, he created Dominic Fortune for Marvel because he felt screwed over by Atlas. Don't know why Buckler did it with Demon-Hunter/Devil-Slayer, but he's also used a slightly redesign and renamed version in some of his independent works.

Afraid this DP never really clicked for me. I didn't really care for much of the re-designs or new histories. I liked that it just ignored as opposed to addressing in any way the Grant Morrison version and what came after, but the loss of so much of the rest of the history such as the New Doom Patrol characters, the various and under-used villains, felt we lost more than we gained. I would have been happy if it just picked up a few issues before Morrison's run, revealed how Rita and the Chief survived and went from there.
Back to Top profile | search | www

Francesco Vanagolli
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 14 March 2011 at 8:38am | IP Logged | 10  

As recalled several times, my first JB book was MTU #79. I was 5 years old, and, while the story and artwork were great (and the story was self contained! Yay!), I still remember how scary Kulan Gath appeared to me.

Over 20 years later, this summer, I bought the complete DP run by JB and... he did it again! The Grunt origin issue is probably the scariest comic book I have read in my life. A kid is killed in such a violent, cruel way... could it really happen in the DCU?

Oh, and recently I filled another small hole in my JB collection getting Starbrand... the whole Pitt/Star Child story is quite scary, too.

Hardly comic books (and fiction in general) scare me... but man, this Byrne guy managed to do it very well!

Flavio Sapha
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 14 March 2011 at 3:42pm | IP Logged | 11  

At any rate, I'd probably go with JB's robot body if I was Cliff, because if you have to be a robot you might as well look tough and cool. I kind of wish JB had "Box"ed Cliff up a little, made him wider and brutish.
+++++++++++++

Chad, in this case, I need to refer you to the Richard Case final Robotman design which was kinda steampunk.

Ed Love
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 14 March 2011 at 4:24pm | IP Logged | 12  

If I was going to be in a robot body, I'd want it to be as close to human proportions and look as possible. Why make it difficult to take a plane, train, taxi, go to the movies, library, etc? He's had some cool designs, but I am partial to his original DP look followed by Staton's Rog-2000 inspired look.

Regarding the Richard Case look, he was out of the Chapel Hill area and so frequented the store Second Foundation. I remember the day he was there scouring through comicbook back issues for different robots to draw inspiration from though he didn't want anything that looked particularly dated.
Back to Top profile | search | www

<< Prev Page of 11 Next >>
  Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version