Active Topics | Member List | Search | Help | Register | Login
The John Byrne Forum
Byrne Robotics > The John Byrne Forum << Prev Page of 8
Topic: Imaginary Stories (DC Comics) (Topic Closed Topic Closed) Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 08 March 2011 at 10:52am | IP Logged | 1  

Stephen: Good points all. I hadn't thought of it in terms of pushing back
issue sales, It seems that that's a missed opportunity for the publishers as
well as LCS -- in a world with trade collections and digital back issues, why
would they not take the opportunity to advertise?
Back to Top profile | search

Brian Joseph Mayer
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 08 March 2011 at 10:51pm | IP Logged | 2  

"Brian, I have to ask why it is that you can always, without fail, find the contrary position on nearly every single question, debate or argument.  "

Well Matt, I guess to be contrarian again to your point that I am always a certain way, I guess I simply look at things as being more positive rather than always looking at things so...glum. 

My point was about the heroes and villians. In my experience, they have bypassed the monthly comic book and the local comic book shop. They have permeated the mainstream. I grew up in a house with comic books. I have an older brother eight years my senior.  I started grabbing his comics wen I was about eight.  I started buying my own when I was about twelve. Before that, my exposure was Super Friends and Spidey Stories on Electric company and whatever other cartoons I could find. At four, I knew only a fraction of super hero knowledge compared to what he does. He impresses me and is a point of pride, especially since I have never taken him into a comic shop and I don't have a house full of them laying around.

Again, I don't know what that says for the industry. I am not going to argue with you about Spider-Girl being a bad story. I haven't read it. It didn't interest me before that. They are going for a market that isn't me. And I have read a ton of crappy books over the years. I have also read a ton of books over the years that have broke away from that idea that were outstanding.  And I have read crappy books that followed the formula and I have read outstanding books that followed the formula. Frankly, I don't know what you want me to say.  Somewhere in there, I think I said you were right.

That said, and to my point, I do think we live in different, "super hero" times than when you and I and John grew up. I think there is much more mainstream awareness and penetration of super heroes.

I hope that it will impact the positive. Because if everyone is only going to talk about the gloom and doom and how awful everything is, why would anyone knew ever want to join us?

Back to Top profile | search e-mail

Jason Czeskleba
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 09 March 2011 at 12:42am | IP Logged | 3  

Kip Lewis wrote:

I remember my favorite run of Imaginary Stories had to be Superman Jr. and Batman Jr.  They were definitely my favorite Superman/Batman Family stories.  But at that age, I don't think I saw them as"imaginary".  I didn't think of them as part of the mainstream title;but I think I saw them as future stories.

Then DC published a story that totally disappointed me--they explained that the two Jrs were a computer generated program and all the stories we ever read were"imaginary".  It sort of ruined them for me at the time.  I think I was14 about that time.

I hated that too.  That marks a point when the fanboys were taking over and obsessive continuity was being emphasized, to the overall detriment.

The Superman Jr. and Batman Jr. stories in World's Finest were never identified as Imaginary Stories.  Editor Murray Boltinoff insisted they were just as "real" as the other stories published in the book, no doubt much to the consternation of fans who wanted a consistent continuity.  I remember as a kid I just read and enjoyed them and didn't give it much thought.  I assumed maybe they took place a bit in the future because Superman and Batman didn't have kids in their regular comics, but beyond that I didn't worry about it.  Which was precisely what Boltinoff and writer Bob Haney intended.

Then Boltinoff and Haney were shunted off into retirement and the new, younger editors decided they needed to "explain" those Superman and Batman Jr. stories, and that was the genesis of the awful computer program story that ended the series.   Blech.

Edited by Jason Czeskleba on 09 March 2011 at 12:44am

John Byrne
Grumpy Old Guy

Posted: 09 March 2011 at 5:49am | IP Logged | 4  

I remember my favorite run of Imaginary Stories had to be Superman Jr. and Batman Jr. They were definitely my favorite Superman/Batman Family stories. But at that age, I don't think I saw them as"imaginary". I didn't think of them as part of the mainstream title;but I think I saw them as future stories.

Then DC published a story that totally disappointed me--they explained that the two Jrs were a computer generated program and all the stories we ever read were"imaginary". It sort of ruined them for me at the time. I think I was14 about that time.

++

I hated that too. That marks a point when the fanboys were taking over and obsessive continuity was being emphasized, to the overall detriment.

••

Not quite. What it represented, more correctly stated, was the end of the editorial fiefdoms that had dominated DC for so long, where each office operated as a completely separate entity from the rest.

Thus, WORLD'S FINEST operated without any regard to (or control from) the SUPERMAN and/or BATMAN offices.

Wisely, toward the middle/end of the Seventies, DC began to tighten these controls, so that, for instance, the Batman who appeared in WORLD'S FINEST and BRAVE AND BOLD would be the same Batman who appeared in BATMAN and DETECTIVE.

Francesco Vanagolli
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 10 March 2011 at 3:55am | IP Logged | 5  

John Byrne:

QUOTE:
I recall one current writer -- one who is quite popular with fans cut from the same cloth as he -- stating, when someone said that his work was confusing and did not contain enough exposition and explanation of who the characters were, "If you don't already know this stuff, why are you even reading this?"

Latest issue of Amazing Spider-Man.

The classic "Spider-Man remembers those who died despite (and because!) of his presence."

Good story. Wonderful artwork. Everything goes fine. We see so many faces from Spider-Man's past, but it's alright, you cannot recognize everyone, but it's not important: they act as a sort of "background". The important thing is "all of this people died in Spider-Man comic books". Famous ones (Gwen, Scarlet Spider, Jean DeWolff), less famous ones (Sally Avril, Tim anson). I repeat, they are simply... faces.

Then, Spider-Man meets a young woman who tells him he killed her, unwillingly.

And Spider-Man replies: "You're Charlie! Wolverine's friend!".

Egad.

That was... almost 25 years ago. In an one shot never mentioned anymore by any writer in the subsequient DECADES.

And that is a KEY MOMENT of the latest issue of ASM!

I mean, who was ths Charlie gal? Should I, new reader, know her? Any footnote about Spider-Man Vs. Wolverine? Nope.
Any explanations in the mail page? No way.

You're supposed to know this character even if she appeared just once in 1987.

That was a delightful, perfect issue of Amazing Spider-Man and they had to add such an... archeological element. Argh!!!
Back to Top profile | search e-mail

Aaron Smith
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 10 March 2011 at 10:15am | IP Logged | 6  

All this talk of needing to do research to understand current comics has made me think of my father and Star Trek.The key to a succesful form of fiction, whether its comics or TV or whatever, is that enough info is provided for a person to enjoy it in and of itself. Any further interest or digging "archeologically" should be OPTIONAL.

My father watched Star Trek long before I did. He watched it in its original airings in the 60s and introduced me to Trek via reruns. He likes it. He's seen probably all the episodes of TOS at least once, seen the movies, seen chunks of TNG and the other spin-offs. If he comes across an episode while channel-surfing, he'll probably stop and watch it, but he won't go chasing it. 

Meanwhile, I inherited the interest in Trek and took it further. I sought out the novels, the comics, own all of TOS and various other things on DVD, have seen certain episodes many times, and have a head full of Trek trivia and knowledge that goes beyond casual watching.

If you name a TOS episode, I can probably tell you what it was about and who was in it, etc. If you ask my father to list his favorites, he won't know titles but will say something like "the one with Khan" or "the submarine episode (Balance of Terror)" or "the one with Joan Collins."

My point being: in no way, shape or form is my father's status as a fan of Trek any less valid than mine. We both enjoy it in our own ways and neither one of us is FORCED to work any harder than we have to to derive our own sort of joy from watching Star Trek.   

If comics still worked that way, it would be a great thing. But, like in the example Francesco just posted, that's not the case anymore.  

Back to Top profile | search | www e-mail

Mason Meomartini
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 11 March 2011 at 12:02pm | IP Logged | 7  

The archeology term is a bit misleading.  There are two things here to this interest in continuity.  Apart from readers who like to catalog all the  "facts" from the stories, these type of readers are interested in a large set of stories that overlap.  The two do go hand in hand, but are separate elements.

While young readers in the old days of comic books, and many on this board appreciate isolated short stories, these other type of readers are fascinated by many different scenarios interacting for the unpredictability of it, similar to Chaos Theory.  For these readers, a large structure of multiple, intersecting stories is the story.  I see nothing wrong with this concept.

The major problem with it is that this idea has hijacked the superhero series of the two big companies that started out as independent titles, with the overlapping being a special exception now and then.

That I don't agree with.  But I don't think it's fair or accurate to state the contrast in this manner, which I've seen on this board sometimes,  that "I'm just interested in a story, not continuities (or shared worlds, or 'universes'), as if one is about story and one is just about data.  Continuity, in the superhero sense of interrelated stories, not internal story logic, is another form of story.  It may be a different structure from what has normally existed in fiction since it's beginnings, in novels, comics, movies, and short stories, and only appealing to readers with a particular interest in that form, but it is a story structure of its own kind.  One with its own valid appeal.

It's just a shame that it's got a death grip on Marvel and DC characters who are meant for everyone to read, not just readers with a special interest in the shared-world genre.

What does everyone think about the idea of Marvel, when they created the "Ultimate" line (we all know the ultimate Marvel Universe had already been done), using that to create nothing but interconnected stories for whoever likes that, clearing the way for the standard Marvel books to let it go once and for all?  It would have to be distributed everywhere otherwise what's the point; the fanboys who dominate the industry would still want both versions to be heavily involved with continuity. 

But assuming the distribution system were ideal and made comics available everywhere, do you think Marvel should even bother trying to appease both a wider audience with accessible stories, as well as direct-market only series for the subsection of the audience who like a lot of overlapping stories?  In an ideal industry, should Marvel cater to them at all?

Edited by Grant Di Palma on 11 March 2011 at 1:51pm

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

<< Prev Page of 8
  Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version