Active Topics | Member List | Search | Help | Register | Login
The John Byrne Forum
Byrne Robotics > The John Byrne Forum << Prev Page of 8 Next >>
Topic: Imaginary Stories (DC Comics) (Topic Closed Topic Closed) Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Grumpy Old Guy

Posted: 06 March 2011 at 2:55pm | IP Logged | 1  

But I loved the way Busiek handled it too in AVENGERS/JLA. It made each world seem so strange when viewed from the eyes of the other world's characters.

••

Does Marvel Earth seem "strange" to you? Does DC Earth?

The most basic conceit of these fantasy realms is that they are HERE. They just happen to have these super powered beings in them. Super powered beings who have NO EFFECT outside the narrow focus of their own lives. Superman did NOT end World War 2. The constant proof of alien life (usually by means of invasions!) does not bring down civilization as we know it.

Superman and Spider-Man met, and they were clearly on the same planet, the same world, and it was their home world. No one had "crossed over", or in any way needed to. That's primarily because old hands were on the tiller. Stan Lee and Carmine Infantino shepherded that first cross-company crossover*, and they both understood what the book needed to be. And what it DIDN'T need to be -- which was an orgy of fanboy anal retentiveness.

-----

* Anyone who even MENTIONS the "Wizard of Oz" tabloid will be banned for life!!

Back to Top profile | search

Mason Meomartini
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 06 March 2011 at 3:38pm | IP Logged | 2  

I should have said, to be more specific, I liked the reactions the characters had to elements from the other company you never get to see them interact with.  But now that I've thought about it, we would still get Marvel and DC characters responding to aspects of the other company's fictional tapestry that they've never encountered before even in a framework where they've always coexisted.  After all, these Marvel/DC stories would be about first encounters anyway.  Making travel between universes unnecessary for that effect.

I was going to ask, let's say in a hypothetical world where fanboys would not have gotten their clutches on it down the line and make a convoluted mess out of the whole thing, why "The Flash of Two Worlds" was appealing, yet applying that method to Spider-Man/Superman, "The Superheroes of Two Worlds" let's call it --as opposed to an Avengers/JLA-style or Access-style treatment-- is not appealing.  But you're saying that DC and Marvel BOTH have the conceit that their world is OUR world, therefore it's the same world.  I had never put it together like that before. 

I don't wish Spider-Man/Superman had been given the Flash treatment, it's brilliant the way it is.  I was just interested in why one approach is inherently superior to the other where Marvel and DC are concerned.  Going outside that context, do you all find the basic idea of a multiverse interesting in fiction?   The idea of many variations of our reality interacting on a large scale, if it were set in a fictional world intended to have that as its conceit from the beginning? 

Edited by Grant Di Palma on 06 March 2011 at 3:39pm

Mason Meomartini
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 06 March 2011 at 4:07pm | IP Logged | 3  

I can see the effect now of having started reading comics in the late 80s and mostly the 90s.  You become conditioned to think the framework of Marvel and DC superhero stories was supposed to be complicated!

Kip Lewis
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 06 March 2011 at 6:37pm | IP Logged | 4  

I remember my favorite run of Imaginary Stories had to be Superman Jr. and Batman Jr.  They were definitely my favorite Superman/Batman Family stories.  But at that age, I don't think I saw them as "imaginary".  I didn't think of them as part of the mainstream title; but I think I saw them as future stories.

Then DC published a story that totally dissappointed me--they explained that the two Jrs were a computer generated program and all the stories we ever read were "imaginary".  It sortof ruined them for me at the time.  I think I was 14 about that time.

As far as the categorizing of things;  for me, it's how my brain works.  Cateloging is fun.  Before I got into comics, I collected coins.  Grouping them was part of the game. It was the same reason I looked at Star Trek tech manuals or I bought this book that was basically a encylopedia of alien races that didn't appear any other than in this book; no story, just data.  (That is, it wasn't even a catalogue of Trek or Star Wars or other published works.  I still have that book 30 plus years later.

That stuff is fun, even to my kid brain.

Mason Meomartini
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 06 March 2011 at 7:18pm | IP Logged | 5  

I have that interest too, but this way of thinking, at least for Marvel and DC, is only harmless if you are content to catalog what's in the stories, and not want the cataloging to get into the stories.  Because that fixation is what the two companies are slaves to.

Brian Joseph Mayer
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 06 March 2011 at 9:49pm | IP Logged | 6  

"I began reading SUPERMAN more than a hundred issues into the run. Yet, by the end of the first issue -- heck, by the end of the first STORY -- I knew who everybody was, and what their relationships were. Today, how many American superhero comics can make such a claim? "

My four year old knows who MODOK is. He knows that Loki is Thor's brother and Odin is his dad. He knows the Galactus is the Silver Surfer's boss and that Nova is his co-worker. He knows Wolverine is all of his different outfits, including street clothes. He knows that the Watcher is only kind of a good guy because he never fights the bad guys. He knows Havok and Cyclops are brothers. He knows Iron Fist.  He knows both black and white Nick Fury.He knows that Ka-Zar is like Tarzan. He knows that nothing can stop the Juggernaut.

He knows a lot, yet he has never read a comic book by himself.  I don't know hat this says about the comic books industry, but I think it says something about the times.

Back to Top profile | search e-mail

Robbie Parry
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 07 March 2011 at 12:25pm | IP Logged | 7  

I like alternate earths and parallel universes in fiction (such as the Mirror Universe in STAR TREK). With superhero comics, I wouldn't be opposed to a story where Superman ends up on another earth where things are quite different.

Where I don't like it is when I hear questions that didn't need to be asked. I used to groan whenever I heard people asking which earth the Superman/Spider-Man crossovers took place on and how it fits into the overall continuity. At no time during those crossovers did I ever wonder about the mechanics of it all, I just enjoyed the adventures on their own terms.

Same when Spider-Man encountered the Transformers. I didn't wonder what earth it was taking place on or how the Transformers adventures fits into Marvel continuity. It just happened.

I guess my point is that when you have stories where a lot of it is taken up with explaining the whys and hows of superheroes encountering, it kind of takes the fun out of it (and doesn't lend itself well to street characters such as Batman or Captain America, anyway). It ruins it slightly for me - there's far more awe and excitement in believing that Superman and Spider-Man share the same earth, in much the same way they did when I drew pictures of them as a kid or played with DC and Marvel toys.

I just wonder, if the Superman/Spider-Man crossover was taking place for the first time today, would it be a mini-series of 5 parts, the first 2 dealing with them crossing over from their respective universes, the next 2 having them meet and then the final part dealing with them going back to their universes? Personally, I prefer the fact that they just met.

Matt Reed
Byrne Robotics Security
Robotmod

Posted: 07 March 2011 at 12:41pm | IP Logged | 8  

Brian, I have to ask why it is that you can always, without fail, find the contrary position on nearly every single question, debate or argument.  After reading your responses in many threads, I'm thinking you're one of those people who loves to be an auto-contrarian.  Just about anyone can posit something and no matter what it is, you'll take the opposite position. 

Take your response here.  Whereas John did not grow up in a household that read comics or even had comic book fans, I'm going to go out on a limb and say that you are, correct? I mean, you post on the board of a comic book author and artist.  Is it any wonder then that simply being around you informs what your son does and doesn't know?  Even if you aren't sitting him down and actually telling him everything, you watch, read about and purchase comic book themed materials.  You, then, are the exception to the rule in a mainstream superhero marketplace that is seeing comic shops closing, some towns with no access to shops at all, and sales of a monthly comic books being touted at 100,000 sales.  Add on top of that the heart of what John is talking about: the notion that by the end of a single comic book he knew who all the players were and their relationships to the main character and decidedly not that your son knows a random collection of characters based on...?  I don't know because you didn't specify.  You didn't give a 1:1 but decided to once again be an auto-contrarian and rattle off a list of characters your son knows without supplying any context as a way to take the opposite position. 

I can tell you from recent personal experience that what JB says is true.  I tried a single issue of the new Spider-Woman series.  The first issue, mind you.  At the end of it, I had to come here to ask what her origin was, what her relationship was to several of the characters mentioned in the issue, and basically what was going on with her in the first place.  That first issue gave me nothing, in context, in order to appreciate who she was and why I should care, so that was the last issue I bought.  That's the heart of what John is saying and what I have experienced many times over the last 15 years: comics that take little or no time to set up the basics and expect everyone reading to either know the score or spend time looking elsewhere for information they should be getting in the book they just purchased.

Sean Blythe
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 07 March 2011 at 2:06pm | IP Logged | 9  

Speaking of reading back issues for homework, know what I almost never
see anymore? Those little footnotes from "--ED" that refer you back to past
issues (Way back in issue #250 -- ED). I remember being thrilled as a kid
when I actually had one of those issues. I wonder if they abandoned that
because they'd have to do it in every panel now.

Monte Gruhlke
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 07 March 2011 at 6:25pm | IP Logged | 10  

I enjoyed the DC imaginary stories and had no problem distinguishing them from "the real thing," and some were very compelling!  Marvel for it's part kept most of theirs within the What-If line, which of course never intruded on "the real thing." 

IMHO, a reader who picks up a book should have no problem getting caught up for the story at hand, whether it is through a brief flashback (*as seen in FF#115... etc.) What-if did it one better by supplying the back-story within the first 1-3 pages before going off on the fantastic twist.

The Bendis effect has damped good story-telling in comic books. Thirty years ago, a 1st issue would contain the character‘s origin, his motivations and supporting cast, introduce a villain or two, have the hero discover his heroic potential, don his new secret heroic identity, possibly fight the big bad and lose his resolve yet end with a climatic battle in which he wins. ALL IN ONE ISSUE!

With Bendis, the same story would be spread out over 12 issues; you're lucky the potential hero gets out of the living room after the first 22 pages.

Michael Andrew Gonoude
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 08 March 2011 at 1:38am | IP Logged | 11  

Does anybody besides me remember that the concept and name of Marvel's What If book may have actually come from the letters page of a DC comic?  I can't remember which one, although the odds are pretty good it was one of the Superman titles.  A reader wrote in to comment on an Imaginary Story, and mentioned in passing that he'd like to see a regular series featuring such tales.  The editor replied that a steady diet of such stories would exhaust the concept's novelty, then asked what such a magazine would be called -- What If?  Just wonderin'...

Stephen Churay
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 08 March 2011 at 8:32am | IP Logged | 12  

Speaking of reading back issues for homework, know what I almost
never see anymore? Those little footnotes from "--ED" that refer you
back to past issues (Way back in issue #250 -- ED). I remember being
thrilled as a kid when I actually had one of those issues. I wonder if
they abandoned that because they'd have to do it in every panel now.

====

Sean, I get the impression that editor's notes were abandoned
because either they've made the continuity so convoluted, they don't
know where to steer you or that they've have contradicted there own
continuity at some point and don't want to draw attention to the
mistake and that there picking and choosing from them while
disregarding the rest. Also, despite there length, most readers
remember comics by the particular stories. 25 years ago, if an editor
noted something that happened in a story 60 issues ago, 20 different
stories may have been told in that time. That's a lot of different stories
for a reader to wade thru. Now that same 60 issues will get you
maybe 8 stories, and it's easier to recall prior info.

It saddens me that they are gone. I've gone and checked out more
good stories from editor's notes than I care to mention. Also, from a
business perspective, it really inhibits a comic shop's ability to move
back issues.

<< Prev Page of 8 Next >>
  Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version