Active Topics | Member List | Search | Help | Register | Login
The John Byrne Forum
Byrne Robotics > The John Byrne Forum << Prev Page of 10 Next >>
Topic: New Batman Begins picture: Updated with new trailer (Topic Closed Topic Closed) Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 15 January 2005 at 11:27am | IP Logged | 1  

The training to "become" Batman was first brought to my attention with Batman: The Animated Series.

Edited by John Staton on 15 January 2005 at 11:28am
Back to Top profile | search e-mail

Arvid Spejare
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 15 January 2005 at 2:44pm | IP Logged | 2  

Greg McPhee wrote:
Forever I didn't mind as much as I liked Kilmer as the character. O'Donnell too old for Robin, and Jones and Carrey far too over the top.

I liked Carrey. The problem was that Jones played Two-Face in the exact same way, so there was virtually no difference between the two bad guys.

Back to Top profile | search

Thomas Johnson
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 15 January 2005 at 4:03pm | IP Logged | 3  

My thoughts on the Batman movies...

Batman - I thought it was a good super-hero movie for the time it was made. Keaton was ok. Nicholson was dead-on for the Joker even though I would have liked to have seen what Willem Dafoe brought to the role.

Batman Returns - Keaton was so-so in this one. This is where the movies started going downhill IMO. Too many villains. Catwoman should have been the only one. The whole Penguin story with the sewers seemed out of place too. I agree it should have been Killer Croc with that origin.

Batman Forever - Kilmer was damned good in both roles. Carrey was good as Riddler. Tommy Lee was terrible as Two-Face. O'Donnel was too old for Robin. I always thought they should have cast someone like Johnny Galecki (from Roseanne) for that part. He was the right size and age.

Batman and Robin - 3 words.....TOO MANY VILLAINS. This is what killed the franchise. You have Poison Ivy, Mr. Freeze and Bane. If the people involved in these movies would have went with ONE villain in all the movies we would have 8 movies instead of 4. The movies could have ended with Bane breaking Bats in half and setting up a 9th movie.

Batman Begins - Looking forward to seeing Bale in action. Hate the Batmobile. Looks like a tank instead of a car. And why is it necessary for Bruce Wayne to have some woman in the way? Yeah we all know he is a rich bachelor. We know he has a life outside the suit. But for a Batman movie to really work we need to see him out of the suit just in the cave, trying to figure out what he needs to do to take the villain out.

Look at how the Batman animated series played.(the one from the 90's) You hardly see him as Bruce Wayne.

Sam Karns
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 15 January 2005 at 7:40pm | IP Logged | 4  

In the Burton films Batman was portrayed as a creature of the night, the villains feared him.  In the Shumacher comedies Val and George were portrayed as clowns in a live action cartoon.  I'm a fan of Batman Returns and the Animated Series, Keaton didn't bother me as much as Val spewing lines like "The Car right chicks love the car." "Try fireman--less to take off."

I'm a fan of Val Kilmer and love his talent to get into a character, but I feel he was doing a Michael Keaton impersonation than going deep into the Batman. 

I have lightened my venom on Jim Carrey after Me, Myself and Irene and has appreciated his talent, but skipping BF.  The film disappoints me too much. 

In 1995 everyone I encountered loved it because it was so funny and how BR sucked because it was too dark and too controversial (comic book monsters should not be focusing on drowning children someone told me.).  I'm glad that peoples' reactions have changed but the cash was flowing when the hit songs and the videos were hot.

I'm wondering if audiences liked BF during the summer of 95 because it was hip to like it.  Does hype influence these summer mindless juggernauts?  I believe this trend has sprung again.

Thomas Moudry
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 15 January 2005 at 8:39pm | IP Logged | 5  

I enjoyed both "Batman" and "Batman Returns"--especially as Tim Burton films.

As to the idea of Bruce Wayne seeking teachers on his road to becoming the Batman, it makes perfect sense to me.  Don't remember where I first encountered the notion, but I've always really liked it, as I thought it added some good stuff to an already excellent character.

Matt Hawes
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 15 January 2005 at 8:44pm | IP Logged | 6  

Thomas Johnson wrote:

...And why is it necessary for Bruce Wayne to have some woman in the way? Yeah we all know he is a rich bachelor...

What bothers me is that there was a perfect way to involve Bruce Wayne/Batman in a romance without it being forced, considering who the villain of the movie will be (Ra's Al Ghul): Talia, Ra's Al Ghul's daughter. It would have been perfect. Ah well...

Back to Top profile | search | www

Robbie Patterson
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 15 January 2005 at 8:55pm | IP Logged | 7  

I don't know why, but the trailer just left me cold..Actually I thought "it's
an adult version of the Karate Kid!"

& I must admit I agree with Terry Austins point of view completely.

But it is just a trailer, so here's hoping....

John Byrne
Robot Wrangler

Posted: 15 January 2005 at 9:01pm | IP Logged | 8  

There's an Actor named David Warner in the film, he
would be a perfect Ra's Al Gul.

+++++

After hearing Warner as the voice of Ra's on
Batman:  TAS, I've had a hard time picturing anyone
else in the role.

Warner has the voice, but it's been a long time since
he had (if indeed he could be said to ever have had)
the look.

My vote still goes to this guy. . .

Back to Top profile | search | www

Jason Fulton
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 15 January 2005 at 9:46pm | IP Logged | 9  

Not only does Irons have the look, he would definately have the talent/presence to pull off such a role.

Greg McPhee
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 15 January 2005 at 9:46pm | IP Logged | 10  

As I said before:

Kilmer was very good. I think, (shock), better than Keaton.

Read the novel of FOREVER and see how good that movie could have been. I am being serious.

As for Chris Nolan's realistic approach. Fine. Don't forget that Batman is reality one step removed, i.e. fantasy.

Stephen Rockwood
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 15 January 2005 at 10:03pm | IP Logged | 11  

Jeremy Irons would be scary.  I recently watched Die Hard 3 on TV and he was delightfully evil in it.

Edited by Stephen Rockwood on 15 January 2005 at 10:04pm
Back to Top profile | search | www e-mail

Rich Henderson
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 16 January 2005 at 10:26am | IP Logged | 12  

I too have no problem with the "learning system" but I am not as pleased with the costume, especially since Spider-Man proved these types of costumes can be done in a "realistic" fashion and not fall too far from the source material. I have read where the costume will be a "work in progress" if sequels are called into play. I still wish that the proposed "Bruce Wayne" series had seen the light of day as it would have been able to flesh out the backstory more than a 90 minute movie can. As far as Ra's goes remeber, you can't always judge a book by it's cover.
Back to Top profile | search e-mail

<< Prev Page of 10 Next >>
  Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version