Active Topics | Member List | Search | Help | Register | Login
The John Byrne Forum
Byrne Robotics > The John Byrne Forum << Prev Page of 10 Next >>
Topic: New Batman Begins picture: Updated with new trailer (Topic Closed Topic Closed) Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 14 January 2005 at 4:06pm | IP Logged | 1  

Mathew, are there TPB of his work and if so what are the titles for them?
Back to Top profile | search

Matthew Hansel
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 14 January 2005 at 4:09pm | IP Logged | 2  

Mathew, are there TPB of his work and if so what are the titles for them?

"The Man Who Falls" was done for a SECRET ORIGINS trade that was published some time ago (early 1990s? late 1980s--not good with the dates too much).  And, Denny has lots of work in TPB form.  His entire Green Lantern/Green Arrow has been give the TPB treatment, as well as his Ras Al Ghul stuff, which I believe was called TALES OF THE DEMON.  There are also a few LEGENDS OF THE DARK KNIGHT trades that have O'Neil tales in'em.  Look on AMAZON or your local funnybook outlet and I'm sure they'll be able to set you up!

Matthew Hansel
matthewphansel@mac.com

Back to Top profile | search | www e-mail

Gregg Allinson
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 14 January 2005 at 5:02pm | IP Logged | 3  

Sam Karns wrote:
See Star Trek VI The Undiscovered Country and Time After Time.

There's an Actor named David Warner in the film, he would be a perfect Ra's Al Gul.

After hearing Warner as the voice of Ra's on Batman:  TAS, I've had a hard time picturing anyone else in the role.

Greg McPhee
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 14 January 2005 at 8:06pm | IP Logged | 4  

It looks a lot better than what we had in the previous movies, but when I saw earlier online pictures of it lit up it looked a bit too much like the sonar suit Kilmer wore in the last 20 minutes or so of Batman Forever.

Besides, I am looking forward to seeing how Bale does in the role being a big fan of American Psycho and having seen Equilibrium for the first time last night he should be interesting to say the least.

He can't do a worse job than Clooney (who never even bothered to alter his voice or manner between Bruce and Batman).

Flavio Sapha
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 14 January 2005 at 8:09pm | IP Logged | 5  

Greg McPhee wrote:

(who never even bothered to alter his voice or
manner between Bruce and Batman).

Come on. That would involve "acting"...

Greg McPhee
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 14 January 2005 at 8:13pm | IP Logged | 6  

Flavio Sapha wrote:
 Greg McPhee wrote:

(who never even bothered to alter his voice or
manner between Bruce and Batman).

Come on. That would involve "acting"...

As a lecturer at university used to say to us with regards to people who thought they could coast through the degree: 

Turning up and physical presence is not nearly enough for this one.

Edited by Greg McPhee on 14 January 2005 at 8:13pm

Chris Hutton
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 14 January 2005 at 10:09pm | IP Logged | 7  

John Byrne wrote:
Last night, Terry Austin stopped by for dinner, and
since he does not have a computer, I showed him
the trailer for "Batman Begins" online.

Wow.  Does his neighborhood have indoor plumbing yet?

I'm not ragging on Terry Austin, just stunned.  I'm 35.  15 years ago, I did not own a CD player.  (I did, however, buy CD's that I played on my roommate's player)  I'm amazed that 12 years ago I did not own a PC, gaming system, or anything more complex than a VCR & CD player.  When I was in high school, our "computers" class was nothing more than glorified typing.  My kids will grow up completely computer-literate.

Sam Karns
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 14 January 2005 at 11:16pm | IP Logged | 8  

Gregg Allinson wrote:
 Sam Karns wrote:
See Star Trek VI The Undiscovered Country and Time After Time.

There's an Actor named David Warner in the film, he would be a perfect Ra's Al Gul.

After hearing Warner as the voice of Ra's on Batman:  TAS, I've had a hard time picturing anyone else in the role.

I did not know this.  Have you seen any of his films?

Sam Karns
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 14 January 2005 at 11:21pm | IP Logged | 9  

Could anyone break down what was wrong with the Batman films and discuss what was right with them?

You may include the serials as well thru Batman & Robin.

Glenn Brown
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 14 January 2005 at 11:52pm | IP Logged | 10  

Matt Reed wrote:

BTW, the casting and the costume don't bother me much at all based on the production stills I've seen.  At the very least, it looks as though Batman can move his neck as the material appears softer and more mobile than the other Bat-suits we've seen.  I love the cape!

It also looks like this suit is much more flexible than previous versions...

Personally?  I'm really excited about this film.

I'm looking forward to it too, Matt, but the "puffiness" (for lack of a better term) of the rubber material around his neck, presumably to allow for movement, troubles me.  It just looks in some stills like a cheap Halloween costume.

Why the designers didn't take a cue from Spider-Man and use the classic costume with updated, modern materials is beyond me. 

I hope in the sequels that they take a cue from Sandy Collora's fan films and use a similar design...

Gregg Allinson
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 15 January 2005 at 12:24am | IP Logged | 11  

Sam Karns wrote:
I did not know this.  Have you seen any of his films?

Oh yes.  Big fan of his various Star Trek appearences, his portrayal of Jack the Ripper...even his turn as Billy Zane's thug in Titanic.  He'd also be an ideal Saul Dagenham if Hollywood gets its s*it together and finally makes The Stars My Destination....

Greg McPhee
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 15 January 2005 at 10:34am | IP Logged | 12  

Sam Karns wrote:

Could anyone break down what was wrong with the Batman films and discuss what was right with them?

You may include the serials as well thru Batman & Robin.

I know you asked for a few thoughts, but here is an interesting (I think) tidbit:

If you read the original version of Sam Hamm's screenplay from 1986 it is pretty similar, but is a lot better than the finished film. For one it makes Bruce and the Joker both the same age explains a lot more of Bruce's back ground, and why he becomes Batman, and does not make the Joker his parents' killer.

Knox is killed in this version, and is more sinister than he appears in the movie as he learns Bruce's secret before Vicki, (note Alfred does not show Vicki in to the cave in this one, she puts it together herself examining Bruce's back ground, and through her encounters with Batman) and is determined to expose Bruce to Gotham as Batman.

Bruce has a bigger friendship with Gordon and Harvey Dent in this version.

Robin appears in the last half after the Joker has killed his parents in much the same way as Two Face does in Forever.

I believe the above were all taken out of Hamm's screenplay by Tim Burton, Warren Skaaren and Charles McKeown as they felt that making the Joker his parents killer gave the plot a nice symmetry.

Plus Batman has less screentime in the 1989 version due to Nicholson being cast and having his part expanded.

What was right was:

Burton got the tone for the film right in the first one, but Keaton was no Bruce Wayne or Batman. It bugged me that he found time to pump up to Schwaeznegger size for a dud of a movie like Desperate Measures, but didn't bother for Batman.

The big problem with Batman and Returns is that the villains take over the movie, and Batman becomes a secondary character and a result less interesting.

Plus Catwoman was portrayed as a victim constantly in Returns, and the Penguin should have been Killer Croc instead of the Penguin ( a case of in name only ) as it seemed the origin given: the Circus background and living in the sewers was closer to Croc.

It was also a bit too much of Burton getting his own way, and as a result it looked like Batman in the world of Edward Scissorhands.

Forever I didn't mind as much as I liked Kilmer as the character. O'Donnell too old for Robin, and Jones and Carrey far too over the top. I can watch it on a no-brainer fun level to pass 2 hours.

At least Batman seemed to work a little more with Gordon, and appeared to do a little detective work.

Another interesting point, read the Peter David novel of the film based on Lee and Janet Batchler's original screenplay before Schumacher and Akiva Goldsman re-wrote it.

It explains more about what was in Bruce's father's diary, the images of the giant bat, why Edward Nygma was obsessed with Bruce Wayne from his child hood, and Dent's scarring in more detail and the event s leading up to it.

In the court scene Bruce is in disguise to watch the Moroni trial. Two-Face comes across as being more sinister and a serious threat in the book, as does the Riddler.

I read in an interview that Jones delivered a lot of the lines the Batchlers wrote, but they were disappointed he took a campy approach to it, and did not portray it in the original and more serious way they imagined it.

As for Batman & Robin??? AAAARRRRGHHH!!!

THAT WAS 2 HOURS OF MY LIFE FROM 1997 I CAN NEVER GET BACK.

Edited by Greg McPhee on 15 January 2005 at 10:35am

<< Prev Page of 10 Next >>
  Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version