Active Topics | Member List | Search | Help | Register | Login
The John Byrne Forum
Byrne Robotics > The John Byrne Forum << Prev Page of 10 Next >>
Topic: PLANET OF THE APES (Topic Closed Topic Closed) Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 11 February 2011 at 8:31pm | IP Logged | 1  

The Apes with cars and planes is much more in keeping with the original novel.
Back to Top profile | search

Stephen Churay
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 12 February 2011 at 12:20am | IP Logged | 2  

The anticipation of seeing these JB POTA pages is killing me.
Back to Top profile | search e-mail

William Roberge
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 12 February 2011 at 4:25am | IP Logged | 3  

Well, your wait is over. Mr. Roche just sent the picture.....

Back to Top profile | search | www e-mail

William Roberge
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 12 February 2011 at 4:53am | IP Logged | 4  

I have to agree, it does have the look of our hosts earlier work.
Back to Top profile | search | www e-mail

JOHN ROCHE
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 12 February 2011 at 5:21am | IP Logged | 5  

Sincere thanks to William for posting this for me.I didn't know how.
It definitely looks like John Byrne art to me.It was first known to me when it appeared on the cover of an Apes fanzine back in the 90s.I publish Simian Scrolls, the UK Apezine.I'm an Apes freak and a devout Marvelite and, fortunately, those two dovetailed nicely in the mid 70s.
A possible context for this art might be as follows.In late 1976 Marvel decided to cull their b&w line and,whilst Apes was a good seller, the additional licence fee tipped the economics against it.It was a shock, late cancellation--the final issue,#29, ran one srtip only, with the rest of the mag filled with inventory articles.However, an earlier issue had announced that there would be several new strips,as the five movies had been adapted and there were no rights to do the tv series.Fans have dug up, over the years, several pages of one strip that was drwan and ready, called Forbidden Zone Prime,as well as, courtesy of the wonderful Doug Moench, three scripts for other ongoing stories following on from earlier original Marvel Tales.In the final issue of Ka-zar,#20 (cancelled at the same taime because Marvel had just snagged Tarzan--I prefer Ka-zar!) it was announced that Doug and artist Val Mayerik were teaming up on a new Apes strip.We think that was for a script'Journey to the PotA' As there is a UK cover that seems to be a re-worked ,unused,splash page.Interestingly, it depicts an arena type scene ( a fave motif of Doug!).Two other strips were (as indicated in the scripts) to be drawn by Tom Sutton and Herb Trimpe.
Still with me?! So, it's just possible that this art MIGHT have been a prelim for a Doug Moench Apes script that never progressed as the magazine was almost immediately cancelled.It looks like art for a story, not just a splash page.Many artists chipped in with covers and linking art for the UK Apes mag at this time---including Duffy Vohland who I recall inked several of JBs FOOM sketches round about this time.
So, it wouldn't be a big surprise if an artist DIDN'T remember this 35 or so years later, as it may have been a project that lasted only a few days before the cancellation word came.Especially if you were John Byrne, about to mount the throne of godhood on Marvel TeamUp, Uncanny X-Men and the FF!
I'd be fascinated to hear what people think.Sorry if I've bored you all! John.

John Byrne
Grumpy Old Guy

Posted: 12 February 2011 at 6:20am | IP Logged | 6  

Okay, now I know what this was, and why I didn't remember it.

In the very, very, very early days, before I had anything like a real career going, Duffy Vohland, who worked in the Marvel Offices, was constantly trying to find work for me. Not entirely altruistic, this. Duffy wanted to be an inker, and would usually attach himself to anything I submitted. (I used to joke -- "joke" -- that having Duffy pushing for me kept me out of comics for years.)

Anyway, what would happen was that Duffy would find out that Marvel was considering some new project, or that the current art team on an existing project was moving on, and he would tell me and I'd whip out some sample pages. In this fashion I did "try-outs" for Godzilla, the X-Men*, Iron Man, the Avengers, and, yes, Planet of the Apes.

All just a big blur now, being so long ago!

===

* This was before the All New, All Different team. Len Wein had mentioned in passing one day that he was thinking about pitching an X-Men relaunch, so Duffy called me up and I did pin-up shots of several of the original team members.

Stephen Churay
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 12 February 2011 at 9:28am | IP Logged | 7  

I will actually sleep better tonight now that this has been solved.

Back to Top profile | search e-mail

Lars Sandmark
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 12 February 2011 at 11:25am | IP Logged | 8  

That image with the two characters is SO perfectly early-Byrne.
I love it. It looks so much like JB's Iron Fist and Doomsday+1 work that it elicited a weird-feeling memory-twitch when I looked at it. His work has evolved so much it's almost like looking at two different artists, but it still looks 'Byrne' to me.

Thanks to John R. and William for sharing this!

Anthony Warlow
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 12 February 2011 at 12:08pm | IP Logged | 9  

Until I read JBs post, I was thinking it might have been a DD+1 page.

Nice find.   I'd love to own the original page of that.

Anthony Warlow
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 12 February 2011 at 12:26pm | IP Logged | 10  

this reminds me of a recent Facebook incident with my wife. 

Somehow a wall post arose from a girl I did NOT got to high-school with, but who knew a girl I went to high school with.  It lead to my wife having the notion I had "dated" this girl in high-school.  Normally not a big deal, but the girl was quite the slut during high-school days and is currently a very augmented stripper/dancer/and likely hooker -- though she is currently 40, so I don't know how many more years she has in all those businesses.  Her current Facebook photos are quite yummy though.

Anyway, my wife brought it up to me that I "went where many men have gone before (and since)" - and I absolutely denied it.  I had no memory of ever even having a conversation with the girl, especially having done anything else with her.

So somehow my wife managed to get her to post a picture of the two of us at a party in 1988, needless to say, my hand and lip placement definitely suggests we were "more than platonic friends" .  I, of course, suggested I was drunk or something and couldn't remember the moment from 23 years ago and it must have been a candid camera moment at a party, then my wife unearthed a picture of me and this girl at the beach, a posed shot of us smiling with me behind her and my hands covering her naked breasts.  Again - no memory at all.

So when JB states that he's drawn around 20,000 pages of art over the past 35+ years but he absolutely does not recall any POTA work, I can definitely relate to how his brain must of gone "WTF !" when the image of the page was posted.  The difference is, he finally remembered how the page came into existence -- I still don't remember the girl at all.

Vinny Valenti
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 12 February 2011 at 2:34pm | IP Logged | 11  

"I did pin-up shots of several of the original team members."

--

Now THAT I'd love to see!

Jason Czeskleba
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 12 February 2011 at 4:43pm | IP Logged | 12  

Anthony Warlow wrote:
then my wife unearthed a picture of me and this girl at the beach, aposed shot of us smiling with me behind her and my hands covering hernaked breasts.  Again - no memory at all.

Geez, Anthony.  I can see a person forgetting about one page out of 20,000 they've drawn over their lifetime.  But unless you're Wilt Chamberlain, I'm surprised you could forget something like this...

<< Prev Page of 10 Next >>
  Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version