Active Topics | Member List | Search | Help | Register | Login
The John Byrne Forum
Byrne Robotics > The John Byrne Forum << Prev Page of 10 Next >>
Topic: PLANET OF THE APES (Topic Closed Topic Closed) Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 09 February 2011 at 9:53am | IP Logged | 1  

If only this power could be harnessed for Good!

It is. For the good geeks eveywhere. There is no greater good than that.

Back to Top profile | search

Robert White
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 09 February 2011 at 9:59am | IP Logged | 2  

I'm honestly surprised JB can remember what he does given
the vast amount of stuff he's done over the years.

John Byrne
Grumpy Old Guy

Posted: 09 February 2011 at 10:06am | IP Logged | 3  

There's a kind of "muscle memory" attached to a lot of it. I can remember where I was when I drew something, and that tips the dominoes and it all comes back.

Most of the time.

But, with more than 20,000 pages behind me (conservative estimate) some of the less memorable pieces become, well, less memorable!!

Robbie Moubert
Byrne Robotics Member
Evertonian

Posted: 09 February 2011 at 10:48am | IP Logged | 4  

The UK POTA was just reprints of the US magazine. They'd alternate the movie adaptations with the new stories. At one point when they'd run out of material they took the War of the Worlds series and redrew the Martians as apes. Killraven became Apeslayer.
Back to Top profile | search | www

John Byrne
Grumpy Old Guy

Posted: 09 February 2011 at 11:34am | IP Logged | 5  

At one point when they'd run out of material they took the War of the Worlds series and redrew the Martians as apes. Killraven became Apeslayer.

••

Oh, man! I would LOVE to see some of that!!

Bill Collins
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 09 February 2011 at 11:55am | IP Logged | 6  

I didn`t know that!Although i vaguely remember Killraven being in the comic. One story that sticks in my mind is of an ape with broken arms teaming up with a human with broken legs(Or vice versa!) and surviving in the wilderness by one sitting atop the others shoulders.

P.S. I do remember the POTA comic being padded out with Twighlight Zone type stories that i assume were reprints of 60`s material.One had an `Angel` story that bore a close resemblance to the X-Men`s Angel,but obviously wasn`t.

Edited by Bill Collins on 09 February 2011 at 11:58am
Back to Top profile | search e-mail

Rick Senger
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 09 February 2011 at 12:17pm | IP Logged | 7  

Anthony wrote:

The Marvel UK imprint publised PLANET OF THE APES for 123 issues from 1974 to1977.  

Issues 88 to 123 were double features of PLANET OF THE APES and DRACULA comics.

Hmmm... this jogs my memory!  Do you have these issues, Anthony?  I strongly recall a PLANET OF THE APES mag from around this era which featured a vampire backup story wherein a guy is trapped in a building with a vampire and ties some material across a spotlight to create a cross shadow which he shines on the vampire.  Ring any bells?  I've been looking for that issue for, like, 25 years! 

Jason Czeskleba
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 09 February 2011 at 12:35pm | IP Logged | 8  

Paul Simpson Simpson wrote:
I have read these things over and over and there isno Byrne in there. Ploog and Tom Sutton did most of the art for theoriginal stories. I guess I could be wrong ,but I don't think so. Whichissue is it in?

He's not saying the artwork appeared in the magazine, he's saying he suspects it was prepared for the magazine but then not used because the book was cancelled.

John Byrne
Grumpy Old Guy

Posted: 09 February 2011 at 12:41pm | IP Logged | 9  

…he's saying he suspects it was prepared for the magazine but then not used because the book was cancelled.

••

Pretty sure I would remember that. There have been a few things over the years that have not seen print for various reasons -- that was almost the fate of "Dark Asylum", my first story for Marvel. When the black and white magazine for which it was intended was canceled, it went into the inventory drawer (yes, it was that long ago!) seeming likely never to emerge again.

Then they needed filler for GIANT-SIZED DRACULA 5.

"Filler" is the key word. Almost nothing disappeared forever in those days. If I'd done pages for PotA, I am sure a way would have been found to recycle them in some other book -- not necessarily one I was working on!

Bill Conway
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 09 February 2011 at 2:08pm | IP Logged | 10  

Hey JB, would you ever do a POTA commission? I always loved the Marvel "Terror on the Planet of the Apes" series with thos boyhood buds on the run:  Alexander (the ape) and Jason (his pet human).

John Byrne
Grumpy Old Guy

Posted: 09 February 2011 at 3:03pm | IP Logged | 11  

Hey JB, would you ever do a POTA commission?

••

As a general rule, I don't do commissions of licensed material. Too many lawyers!!

Bill Collins
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 09 February 2011 at 3:04pm | IP Logged | 12  

This thread got me thinking,and i remember that POTA and the Dracula comics were both weeklies and launched on the same day,which was a bit of a mistake by Marvel U.K. as their weeklies were dearer than our home grown comics,which lead those of us with limited pocket money to make a hard choice.Both launched with `free` glossy posters of the cover art work.I wanted both but could only afford one,as POTA was on tv at the time i chose that.Being weekly there was one chance and one chance only to get issue one...during THAT week as the unsolds were returned. It was a hard life in the U.K. for a kid in the mid `70`s!

<< Prev Page of 10 Next >>
  Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version