Active Topics | Member List | Search | Help | Register | Login
The John Byrne Forum
Byrne Robotics > The John Byrne Forum << Prev Page of 5 Next >>
Topic: Sensational She-Hulk by John Byrne (Topic Closed Topic Closed) Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Grumpy Old Guy

Posted: 07 February 2011 at 6:00am | IP Logged | 1  

They choose the paper but don't even make a printing test?

Sometimes it seems the comic industry don´t like its own product.

••

They may not -- but they DO know the audience. And they know that a substantial portion of that audience, having been trained for decades now to pay attention to the quality of the paper stock, will complain about "cheap" paper, even if it is appropriate to the project!

Back to Top profile | search

Sergio Aledo
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 07 February 2011 at 6:24am | IP Logged | 2  

And they know that a substantial portion of that audience, having been trained for decades now to pay attention to the quality of the paper stock, will complain about "cheap" paper, even if it is appropriate to the project!

That's just the point! It's like they only had (or only wanted to have) space for one neuronal synapse. Someone says: "Hey! this edition must have a good paper" The one who has to make the job makes no more thinking about it: "Good-paper-that´s-all. Good-paper-end-of-my-function. The-only-way-of-having-no-mistakes-and-work-the-less-as-posi ble-is-not-to-think"

I'm sure in a case like this, with so many kinds of paper in the market, they can choose a quality paper that works well with the art, but many of the decisions at Marvel or DC seem to come from that dysfunctional hyper hierarchical structures.

Well. it isn´t really a problem that concerns only the comic industry. It's everywhere. The culture of mediocrity is winning more and more space each day. Sigh!

*Sorry for my english.

Back to Top profile | search | www e-mail

Michael Todd
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 07 February 2011 at 8:15am | IP Logged | 3  

I've always wished for something between an Essentials and a Masterwork, printed in color on the same type of paper they used in their regular comic books for decades. Heck! I've got comic books over 40 years old that still look great even with their so-called "cheap" paper.
Back to Top profile | search | www

Wallace Sellars
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 07 February 2011 at 8:51am | IP Logged | 4  

I've always wished for something between an Essentials and a Masterwork, printed in color on the same type of paper they used in their regular comic books for decades.
---
In that regard, the hardcover Jack Kirby collections that DC released are as close to perfect as I've seen.
Back to Top profile | search | www

Stephen Churay
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 07 February 2011 at 8:55am | IP Logged | 5  

My favorite paper stock was used in the 90's. Tons of books were printed on it, but I really remember those first issues that Alan Davis drew for the Heroes Return Fantastic Four. That paper took color really well and still had the tooth of newsprint without being so.
Back to Top profile | search e-mail

Martin Redmond
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 07 February 2011 at 9:17am | IP Logged | 6  

My guess it's that it's a budget issue. Isn't gloss less expensive. Also, most consumers might prefer gloss, though I am not one of those. If they're told you reprint this and this is the budget you have, it's not like they can do more you know...

John Byrne
Grumpy Old Guy

Posted: 07 February 2011 at 9:55am | IP Logged | 7  

*Sorry for my english.

••

I know a lot of native born Americans whose English is a LOT worse than yours, Sergio!

John Byrne
Grumpy Old Guy

Posted: 07 February 2011 at 9:56am | IP Logged | 8  

I've always wished for something between an Essentials and a Masterwork, printed in color on the same type of paper they used in their regular comic books for decades.

---

In that regard, the hardcover Jack Kirby collections that DC released are as close to perfect as I've seen.

••

True dat! Heartbreaking to see those volumes done so perfectly, while other work that would look great handled the same way gets the gloss-paper and airbrushed recoloring.

Francesco Vanagolli
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 07 February 2011 at 11:29am | IP Logged | 9  

I learned to avoid modern color reprints due to bad past experiences.

No problems with Essentials and Showcases, but the recolored stuff is often awful. I often hear talking about the Kirby reprints as excellent reprints, but I'm afraid those are exceptions.
Back to Top profile | search e-mail

Martin Redmond
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 07 February 2011 at 12:50pm | IP Logged | 10  

The DC reprints are almost always good if you ask me. It's rare they recolour and gloss them up.

Sam Karns
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 21 February 2011 at 10:41am | IP Logged | 11  

This is a good place to ask. I was wondering if the few who own JB's panels of this series jpg them on here or on a fresh posting. I would love to see them in chronological order especially me favorite issue of this series #2& #3.

Edited by Sam Karns on 22 February 2011 at 8:52pm

John Byrne
Grumpy Old Guy

Posted: 21 February 2011 at 11:24am | IP Logged | 12  

The DC reprints are almost always good if you ask me. It's rare they recolour and gloss them up.

••

I wish that could be said of the Neal Adams stuff.

<< Prev Page of 5 Next >>
  Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version