Active Topics | Member List | Search | Help | Register | Login
The John Byrne Forum
Byrne Robotics > The John Byrne Forum << Prev Page of 7 Next >>
Topic: Why Comics are Doomed - #437 (Topic Closed Topic Closed) Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 08 February 2011 at 2:47am | IP Logged | 1  

It's a good thing this thread was titled "Why Comics Are Doomed #437." If it had been called "Why Comics Are Doomed #1," we would have had half as many comments on the second page as on the first, and half as many on the third as on the second...
Back to Top profile | search | www e-mail

CJ Grebb
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 08 February 2011 at 7:06am | IP Logged | 2  

RE: Nathan Greno's enthusiasm

Man, how much would I pay to see a test animation of the Next Men using the animation & rendering engine from Rapunzel . . . 
Back to Top profile | search

Tony Midyett
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 08 February 2011 at 7:29am | IP Logged | 3  

^ Wow.  Cool idea!

Richard Marcej
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 08 February 2011 at 9:40am | IP Logged | 4  

I don't believe that comics are doomed at all. In fact, I think this is an incredible growth era for comics. I believe that more and more people are reading and are exposed to comics now then any time in the history of comics.

Now, I agree that the MONTHLY format of comics, most specifically comics from "the big two" are doomed. But I believe that most of their doom is their own doing. We can site the many reasons this has come into being (starting with the death knell of being available only at comic shops) but as long as an issue of a comic, most specifically a monthly ongoing title, is nothing more than a $3.99 CHAPTER of an ongoing story. An ongoing story that leaves access to possible readers out in the dark, there's no way in hell that the format will survive.

But as for comics, the art of telling a visual story with panels and word balloons, IMO, that will never die.
Back to Top profile | search | www

John Byrne
Grumpy Old Guy

Posted: 08 February 2011 at 10:02am | IP Logged | 5  

I believe that more and more people are reading and are exposed to comics now then any time in the history of comics.

••

Then you should study up a little more on the history of comics.

You should also learn to use "than" when you mean "than", not "then".

Richard Marcej
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 08 February 2011 at 10:21am | IP Logged | 6  

"I believe that more and more people are reading and are exposed to comics now then any time in the history of comics."

While I've read various books on the history of comics I'm sure there's no way I'd know the complete history, down to statistics of readers. My comments, my opinions actually, were thanks to the internet, more people are being exposed to comics. 

I believe there will be more avenues for people to see, read and enjoy comics thanks to the internet exposure. How will those producing them make a living at this? Now that's the big question....

And I apologize for my misuse of certain words like "than" and "then". It's not my intent to do so. I will do my best in the future to proofread my posts before posting. 

Leigh DJ Hunt
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 08 February 2011 at 10:37am | IP Logged | 7  

JB, I have a question about AFTERMATH. Will you be using the same art style which you are using at the moment on JBNM?

Ed Love
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 08 February 2011 at 11:29am | IP Logged | 8  

In the 1940s, issues of Superman and Captain Marvel routinely sold more than 1,000,000 copies each. The top comic in 2010, was around 135,000. The top five comics of 1942 at a million plus copies each would probably be more than the best month of 2010's sales. In the 1960s, the numbers of the top comics were around 600,000-500,000 (with Mad Magazine selling over a million copies). In the 70s, the numbers of the top comics were half that. Now, a blockbuster comic issue would barely break the top 10 of the any of the previous decades with eight out of ten of the top ten not even breaking 100,000.

John Byrne
Grumpy Old Guy

Posted: 08 February 2011 at 11:56am | IP Logged | 9  

In the 1940s, issues of Superman and Captain Marvel routinely sold more than 1,000,000 copies each.

••

As I understand it, that number represents assumed readership, rather than actual sales. The idea there was that a single issue would most likely be read by more than one member of a household. (This is an old trick for boosting numbers when calculating ad rates.)

The number is still valid to this discussion, however, as it represents "awareness" of comics. Modern numbers, for the most part, are nearly impossible to parse in this way. Rather than a single sale representing multiple readers, multiple sales very often represent a single customer.

Andrew W. Farago
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 08 February 2011 at 2:24pm | IP Logged | 10  

Comics readership--when you factor in digital sources, and you're not just talking about comic books--is actually pretty high right now.  Millions of people read comics in some format every day.

Comics purchasers, though...they seem to be an endangered species.  It's one of my big concerns for the coming decade, figuring out if there are enough people out there willing to actually pay for the content that creative people are making.
Back to Top profile | search | www e-mail

Richard Marcej
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 08 February 2011 at 3:28pm | IP Logged | 11  

"Comics purchasers, though...they seem to be an endangered species.  It's one of my big concerns for the coming decade, figuring out if there are enough people out there willing to actually pay for the content that creative people are making."

I agree 100%!

IMO, we've gone beyond where comics can/should be sold (comic shops/walmart/book stores/etc...) and need to address the "elephant in the room". 

Can creative people (cartoonists, artists, writers) make a living creating comics on the internet? Whether we (and god, I really enjoy reading comics in hand held, printed book form) like it or not, the future of reading entertainment material are heading towards the digital format.

CJ Grebb
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 09 February 2011 at 7:30am | IP Logged | 12  

@Sean

Read your rant - and I share many of your criticisms - but you glossed over something there I think you should bend some more thought towards.

Don't discount the impact that iPads and the emerging tablet/e-reader market could have on readership. Devices such as these are the new frontier. Never before in the history of mankind has the independent creator had such a resource for distributing their work as will happen over the next decade.

I think that we as comic fans need to resign ourselves that it's more or less "too late"for Marvel and DC. For better or worse the big two have found a "profit niche" and they're going to keep riding it. The characters and more importantly the "tone" of comic books that existed up through the mid 80s is simply gone forever.

And look, that's sad for someone like me who really preferred Marvel & DC comics when they were more light-hearted and escapist. However, we need to realize that there are LOTS of comic book fans who LOVE the direction and tone Marvel and DC right now. And they're spending their dollars. Perhaps nowadays that purchasing is a little more widely spread between comics, movies, video games and merchandise rather than simply comics, but however it works, Marvel is a profitable company, as is, I suspect, DC.

So it's time to let go of Marvel and DC and embrace the independent comic creator, who because of the miracle of digital distribution quite possibly will no longer have to rely on the big two. 

I will miss having an actual comic book in my hand, but if instead I can have access to three or four more creators such as Jeff Smith in the future, I'll take that trade.

If someday digital distribution makes the continuation of Danger Unlimited as an independent digital comic a reality (and I mean as a viable ECONOMIC reality for JB, not simply a digital extension of "vanitypress") I will take that in a hot second.

It's possible - it really is. In two or three more years, tablet computers such as the iPad, Motorola Xoom, and whatever tablet HP is going to announce today will drop in price from $800 a pop to perhaps $400-$300. Simple e-readers (especially color e-readers) will likely be even cheaper. 

And if a market of people willing to drop 99₵ on a digital comic are out there - we won't HAVE to rely on Marvel or DC for the kind of storytelling we want. It will be out there at our fingertips. People can hook up with digital comic companies or simply distribute using widely available comic apps and their own websites.

Best of all,successful digital comics will have a secondary print market available to them in the form of trade paperbacks, which means you can still get a physical copy if you want it.

All of this, of course, is dependent upon folks like you and me being willing to pay. iTunes and the App market has proved that people will pay for content again, even after getting it for "free" on the internet for so long. 

But at somepoint fans like us will have to get out there, find some creators that are doing comics we like, and be willing to pay them for their work.

My point is: Let Marvel & DC go. Let the fans who enjoy what Marvel & DC are doing continue to enjoy it. Seek out and support new comics, especially digitally distributed comics, and get a PayPal account and pay them for their work. You might just get the comics you like, and we might just see romping tales of heroic action with readership numbers in the millions again.

Maybe.

Edited by CJ Grebb on 09 February 2011 at 7:36am

<< Prev Page of 7 Next >>
  Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version