Active Topics | Member List | Search | Help | Register | Login
The John Byrne Forum
Byrne Robotics > The John Byrne Forum << Prev Page of 6 Next >>
Topic: The Best Of Daredevil (Topic Closed Topic Closed) Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Byrne Robotics Security
Robotmod

Posted: 27 January 2011 at 12:16pm | IP Logged | 1  

Mike O'Brien wrote:

Which leads to the politics. I get the observation that Francesco made, and respect it, but I found the issues fit the situations, and I never found them too heavy-handed, or at least more than they needed to be to serve the story. In the case of Brandy and her father, the point of the hyperboyle on both their parts was to make dramatic the partisan fighting in America (if only she was writing the book now, eh??).

I get the accusation people have had against Nocenti's run as well, but specific to the character I think Matt Murdock/Daredevil allows for that kind of storytelling.  I never thought it got overly preachy, but it did have a specific POV which I appreciated.  It would have felt off in AMAZING SPIDER-MAN, but felt perfectly at home in a book in which Murdock regularly championed those less fortunate individuals and often took on opposition with more lawyers and money than he could shake a stick at.  In short, it worked for me specific to this title but more than likely wouldn't work on most of the series at either DC or Marvel. 

Back to Top profile | search

Petter Myhr Ness
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 27 January 2011 at 12:42pm | IP Logged | 2  

The best work he ever did was 30 years ago?  That's like saying "your old stuff was better."
--

Not at all what I was trying to say. He stayed on DAREDEVIL for a long time, and I can't really think of anything he's done that's had the same consistency and finesse as his work on that title. Doesn't mean I don't like work he did after that. Far from it.

But having said that, when I read ALL STAR: BATMAN, I felt the man had moved into self parody. In that sense, his old stuff WAS better. But that doesn't mean he won't make anything great again...as long a he steers away from film-making.

Andrew W. Farago
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 27 January 2011 at 1:04pm | IP Logged | 3  

and the sadly abbreviated Karl Kesel run (#353-360ish)

I'm sorry Kesel didn't get to do his storyline that was teased with "Daredevil is about to become the most powerful superhero in New York City."  The payoff for that was going to be Matt Murdock becoming mayor of NYC, which I'm sure would have been a fun story.
Back to Top profile | search | www e-mail

Paulo Pereira
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 27 January 2011 at 1:17pm | IP Logged | 4  

I think Nocenti made an honest effort to present different points of view in her stories.

Tony Centofanti
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 27 January 2011 at 1:20pm | IP Logged | 5  

I have to say, Daredevil #181 is one hell of a comic. It's got it all. I don't know if it's Miller's finest work, but it's my favorite single issue of his.

Rick Senger
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 27 January 2011 at 2:00pm | IP Logged | 6  

Most of the best stuff has been named, but since I own 1-300 of DD complete, I'll weigh in with these highlights from memory (don't trust my issue numbers!):

7 vs. Submariner is the best superhero battle issue I've ever read.

Colans in the 20s are great fun.  Somewhere in there DD creates  fun-lovin' twin brother Mike Murdock who is a panic.  Before "grim and gritty" changed DD's persona forever, he was a wise-cracking superhero much like Spider-Man back in the day and these issues nicely represent that character.

The Jester "I, Murderer" series (circa 42 - 46?) hasn't been mentioned yet... very nice.

Colan / Palmer issues all have gorgeous art though the stories get weirder and weirder after the 70s.

The period between like 100 - 120 is pretty weak.  Angarr the screamer, aliens and voodoo aren't the best DD had to offer.

Brown / Infantino / Janson art is good starting around 120 though the series really starts to hit its stride when Shooter shows up in the late 130s or 140s.  Everyone cites Miller's run from 158 - 191, which is definitive and must-have, but those issues two or so years preceding his arrival are also highly enjoyable and underrated.

Both Miller runs are must-reads.  For me it is his best work.   I do love some Sin City but not all of it and that's another thread.

Somewhere circa 220s or 230s there's a sweet Harlan Ellison story that takes two or so issues featuring a monstrous house designed by a billionaire to destroy DD... great offbeat tale.

Ann Nocenti and JRJR's run was mixed but I quite enjoyed Typhoid Mary (debuts in 254, continues to around 260) and the offbeat Ultron story where DD spends an issue talking to a pile of obsolete robot spare parts (somewhere in the 260s maybe)?

The last four issues I own (297 - 300) comprise an interesting Kingpin saga and a good capper to the series.

DD is one character who has definitely gone through different phases and personas.  He's been both fun-lovin' and furrowed brow, had various girlfriends, various jobs and various addresses (both in and out ot state), yet I love his thirst for justice, which seems somehow more authentic and real world for me than many other comic characters.  If I needed someone to recover a stolen Statue of Liberty or shift the earth's axis if needed, I'd call Superman.  But if I needed someone to help an inconsolable homeless person living down the street, DD would probably be who I'd try to contact.
Back to Top profile | search e-mail

Chad Carter
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 27 January 2011 at 2:15pm | IP Logged | 7  

The weird Steve Gerber issues, mentioned, have a particular place for me. Early 1970s, I guess. Art by Bob Brown, who is a favorite of mine.

The Colan stuff in the 1960s. The writing may be somewhat rote and repetitive, but when teamed with Syd Shores, Colan's art was gorgeous. It's like Kirby teamed with Wally Wood level. See it in the ESSENTIAL format in b/w. Amazing.

There's a David Mazzuchelli ish written by Harlan Ellison which is one of my favorite issues of any comic ever:

Frank Miller's "Reborn" is simply forever the watermark for superhero noir in comics. You can dismiss it, like folks try to dismiss the Rolling Stones as the greatest rock band of all time, but no one can touch the accomplishments.

Brian Miller
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 27 January 2011 at 2:22pm | IP Logged | 8  

I recently picked up all of Gil Kane's issues on DD. Now, he didn't produce a huge overreaching run or anything, but just a handful of issues scattered about around #150 ( yes, 146 mentioned above is one of them and my first DD issue). These are some of the finest looking comics ever produced. If you don't have 146, get it! Gorgeous, amazing stuff.

I dig the Nocenti/ JRjr run, too.

Mike O'Brien
Byrne Robotics Member
Official JB Historian

Posted: 27 January 2011 at 2:34pm | IP Logged | 9  

"Born Again", Chad, not "Reborn".

I would have let that slide, but come on... it's the greatest comic story ever.

David Poole
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 27 January 2011 at 3:13pm | IP Logged | 10  

I picked up a huge run of DD (#36-#120) off ebay about a year ago.  I'd had a run from #120 till sometime in '05.  With a masterworks and two essentials, I read the first 120 issues straight.  #53-71 with Colan/Palmer art and Roy Thomas writing are amazing!  I liked their run more than Miller's, and I put Miller's run head and shoulders over almost anything else.  I can't recommend those issues enough.

Thomas Moudry
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 27 January 2011 at 4:58pm | IP Logged | 11  

This is my favorite single issue of DAREDEVIL--by Frank Miller and John
Buscema.

John Popa
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 27 January 2011 at 6:20pm | IP Logged | 12  

My favorite stuff is the Miller/Mazzuchelli run, but I also enjoyed Denny O'neil's work with Mazzuchelli.  The original Miller stuff is class through issue 181 (and let's not forget that Roger McKenzie wrote some of that) but I thought after 181 it was a touch anti-climactic.

I also enjoyed Lee Weeks's rendition of the character, even if his run was short.

Daredevil's one of those characters that when he's on I enjoy more than most every other character but when it's off, I can't slog through it.

<< Prev Page of 6 Next >>
  Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version