Active Topics | Member List | Search | Help | Register | Login
The John Byrne Forum
Byrne Robotics > The John Byrne Forum << Prev Page of 13 Next >>
Topic: Could Spider-Man sell his web-fluid and become rich? (Topic Closed Topic Closed) Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 20 January 2011 at 2:18pm | IP Logged | 1  

Me too Brad.

To my original question, I like the 'Parker has low expectations, tries it once, gives up' explanation. I also think that in OUR world his webbing might make him a fortune. In the Marvel Universe, where if necessary the Miltary can make Hulk-Busters  and every other super-villain can engineer one-off super-tech, maybe it's small beans.
Back to Top profile | search

Brian Joseph Mayer
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 20 January 2011 at 2:19pm | IP Logged | 2  

That is, when confronted with the concepts of mechanical vs biological webshooters (and webbing) which is the easiest to explain?

Man bitten by spider and gained powers including ability to shoot webs from his writsts

Man bitten by spider and gained powers. Decided that wasn't enough. Luckily man was very smart so decided he could create a formula that was similar to a spider's web to add to spider based powers.  Along with creating the chemical compound, he also had ability to create a wrist based discharge unit so small, it can't even be seen under a skintight costume. The man is proven a chemical and engineering genius and goes out to fight crime where his comedic genius is also demonstrated through the use of fantastic one liners. Man fails the elderly aunt who raised and cared for him since weath and fame, he's ignored. Action is his reward. Sounds like an adrenalin junky who shirks off family responsibility. You'd expect more after it is basically his fauly his uncle died...

Back to Top profile | search e-mail

Jesus Garcia
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 20 January 2011 at 2:22pm | IP Logged | 3  

I have read that Sam Raimi's decision for giving Peter organic webshooters is that Raimi -- seeing himself at the same age as Peter -- could not have invented mechanical webshooters.

I suspect that a stronger reason was setting up the scene where Peter is trying to figure out how to discharge his web, going as far as shouting Shazam! Ask most civilians and they will cite this scene as a favorite, with gals and guys agreeing.

It wouldn't be the first time a writer/director/producer bends the internal logic of the narrative for the sake of feeding a single plot point that strikes their fancy: In Superman Returns, the writer was so enamored of the plot point of having Clark discover that he had a five-year old son that he had Clark travel in space for 5 years. How stupid/irresponsible would the Last Son of Krypton have to be to abandon the planet under his care for a half-decade rather than send an unmanned Kryptonian probe that would achieve more or less the same results?

As far as how much organic webbing is actually discharged: in modern architectural architects/engineers use I-beams rather than solid  rectangles of steel because the I-beams -- although having much less mass than their rectangular profiles would if entrirely filled with steel -- provide enough resilience to support the required structual weight.

I find it perfectly acceptable to imagine that Peter's organic web deploys along a molecular structure not unlike a Sierpinski Sieve, which provides enormous load bearing potential while consisting of very little mass. The apparent "weight" of the organic web when discharged is merely illusion.

Lastly, the volume of the web cartridges -- as drawn by Ditko anyhow -- doesn't quite line up with its apparent volume when discharged either. Peter has even made thick shields of his webbing in the past; Unless we are to assume that Peter frequently replenishes his wrist shooters off-camera. We might as well assume that Peter frequently hits fastfood joints off-camera to replenish his lost tissue.

Edited by Jesus Garcia on 20 January 2011 at 2:29pm

John Byrne
Grumpy Old Guy

Posted: 20 January 2011 at 2:28pm | IP Logged | 4  

As far as how much organic webbing is actually discharged: in modern architectural architects/engineers use I-beams rather than solid rectangles of steel because the I-beams -- although having much less mass than their rectangular profiles would if entrirely filled with steel -- provide enough resilience to support the required structual weight.

I find it perfectly acceptable to imagine that Peter's organic web deploys along a molecular structure not unlike a Sierpinski Sieve, which provides enormous load bearing potential while consisting of very little mass. The apparent "weight" of the organic web when discharged is merely illusion.

Lastly, the volume of the web cartridges -- as drawn by Ditko anyhow -- doen't quite line up with their apparent volume when discharged either. Peter has even made thick shields of his webbing in the past; Unless we are to assume that Peter frequently replenishes his wrist shooters off-camera. We might as well assume that Peter frequently hits fastfood joints off-camera to replenish his lost tissue.

••

PUH-leese!

First, you take us even deeper into the "doing things real spiders don't do" territory, postulating unheard of profile configurations for the webbing -- THEN you dismiss not only the perfectly reasonable assumption that the artificial webbing greatly expands upon contact with the air (much like shaving foam), AND dismiss even the notion that Parker occasionally refills the cartridges without it being shown.

You know, I have never seen Peter Parker go to the bathroom, but I don't feel like I am stepping too far out on a limb if I assume he does!

Larry Lawrence
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 20 January 2011 at 2:39pm | IP Logged | 5  

"You grow up and move on."

Comics used to allow you to grow up with them to some extent. Maybe the late 70's was when this died out. You could start with Dennis, Donald or Daffy, graduate to Batman and Superman, then on to the angsty Marvels. If you outgrew capes, you could move on to harder-edged war and westerns, and for sex and violence look to the Warren magazines. 

Somewhere in there you were supposed to be reading some "real" books, maybe getting started with something like Doc Savage. You could still revisit the hero comics, but knew that they were intended for a younger audience like say, the Hardy Boys books were.

Lars Johansson
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 20 January 2011 at 2:39pm | IP Logged | 6  

About the DNA change that would produce eight legs. I doubt that it would although I think it's good point. A bone marrow transplant will change the DNA to what is more like the donor's DNA than the original DNA, that's the point, and still the donee does not look like the donor. It's not like "Who the hell are you", "Oh I went through a bone marrow transplant". But please check before and after pictures of patients, I shouldn't say that it isn't anything like that happening, but I doubt it.
Back to Top profile | search | www e-mail

tho ha
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 20 January 2011 at 7:24pm | IP Logged | 7  

Spider-Man often webs people's mouths to shut them up (as seen in the first movie as well).  But it seems much grosser when the webbing is biological.

Marcus Hiltz
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 20 January 2011 at 7:41pm | IP Logged | 8  

The ultimate absurdity of this "debate" is that it springs from people (like Sam Raimi) saying it would be "impossible" for Parker to create the mechanical webspinners

---

What a killjoy those people are! Might as well say it's impossible Tony Stark could create the IronMan armor or it's impossible for Reed Richards to create all the things he created. Sheesh!

Ray Brady
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 20 January 2011 at 8:13pm | IP Logged | 9  

You know, I don't believe I've actually read a Spider-Man comic in about 30 years. Does he still use the Spider-Tracers? I used to love those things.
Back to Top profile | search | www

Pete Carrubba
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 20 January 2011 at 9:30pm | IP Logged | 10  

What I never understood was why HYDRA didn't provide Spider-Woman with web-shooters similar to those created by Spider-Man. Had they never heard of him? 

Jon Stafford
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 20 January 2011 at 10:27pm | IP Logged | 11  

Spider-Woman didn't need them.  She could fly (well, okay, glide -- but it amounts to the same thing).

Pete Carrubba
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 21 January 2011 at 4:09am | IP Logged | 12  

That's just it - flight isn't a spider-power, and she didn't have the power of flight, at least initially. She seemed to be created to keep a trademark on any new "spider" characters at Marvel, but her costume never really said "spider" the way Spider-Man's did. I always thought the yellow parts of the costume were supposed to be red, and the red parts black. That way she would sort of look like a large black widow spider. 

<< Prev Page of 13 Next >>
  Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version