Active Topics | Member List | Search | Help | Register | Login
The John Byrne Forum
Byrne Robotics > The John Byrne Forum << Prev Page of 13 Next >>
Topic: Could Spider-Man sell his web-fluid and become rich? (Topic Closed Topic Closed) Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 19 January 2011 at 7:06pm | IP Logged | 1  

"2) Where does he store it?4) What happens when he runs out?"
-----
I don't understand either of these objections. With the mechanical shooters, Spider-Man is able to store days' worth of web fluid in bracelets so thin that they don't make a discernible bulge under skin-tight clothing. I don't see why the same volume of fluid stored inside the body would be any more noticeable.

And wasn't Spider-Man chronically running out of web fluid at key moments back in the 60s and 70s? He made do well enough.

I prefer the mechanical webshooters myself, but only because of what they add to Peter's character. I don't believe they're any more credible than the biological alternative.
Back to Top profile | search | www

Brad Krawchuk
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 19 January 2011 at 7:34pm | IP Logged | 2  

Michael Penn already said exactly what I thought when I first read the thread title. Lee and Ditko had Spider-Man try to sell his web formula very early on (I can't remember, but it may even have been Amazing Spider-Man #1) to no avail, because it wasn't permanent. 

He literally tried to sell it at the birth of his crime-fighting career, and struck out. Now, if he came up with a way to make it permanent, and tried to sell that, I could see him making some cash. Or, given the way the Parker world works, I could see him being swindled out of that formula by the Marvel U equivalent of 3M, and he doesn't see a cent for his work or if he does, it's a few thousand bucks and not the millions 3M will make. 

In conclusion, if Lee and Ditko already covered that territory, there's no reason to even go over it again, unless you're setting your tale in that historical context. How does Spider-Man see through his white eye lenses? They're plastic mirrors of the two-way variety, true believer! Next!
Back to Top profile | search e-mail

Paulo Pereira
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 19 January 2011 at 8:01pm | IP Logged | 3  

I've long felt that the artificial webbing is similar to Silly String only, of course, far more advanced and adhesive. So, to me at the very least, they're far more believable.
Back to Top profile | search

Rob Ocelot
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 20 January 2011 at 1:08am | IP Logged | 4  

The world is full of people who have great ideas or inventions but have no marketing or salesmanship skills to get them off the ground.

Consider Peter's lower-middle class upbringing and its impact on how 'big' Peter thinks:  We're not explicitly told anything about Ben Parker but it's reasonable to deduce he was a blue collar working stiff of the generation where you stayed loyal to one company and retired on a pension.  Whether he knows it or not Peter emulates his Uncle Ben in subtle ways -- taking over for him as financial provider when he's gone and (excepting brief stints and recent developments) sticking with the Bugle through a lot of thick and thin.  As a result he tends to think on the smaller scale of things and his heroic exploits are mainly at street level.  Sure, he tried to market his webbing once but after an initial setback he never seemed all that interested in sticking with it (no pun intended).  In most of the early Spider-man stories there's an undercurrent of defeatism that's bubbling just below the surface, with Peter not quite convinced that good things can happen to him. Someone who views the world in 'glass half empty' terms likely isn't the best person to sell themselves -- much less a product of their own sweat.

In contrast Tony Stark and Reed Richards both come from families that either had old money or at least an entrepreneurial (and proprietal) attitude drilled into them from an early age.  These guys likely knew when they were on to a million dollar idea long before it was even finished.   

'One More Day' is a pretty crappy storyline but the alternate Peter Parker that Mephisto coyly reveals to 'our' Peter is the one gem in the manure pile.  We are introduced to a rich and successful Peter who marketed his web fluid and other inventions.  This Parker was a complete and utter selfish dick as opposed to to the 'real' Peter who is on rare occasions a selfish dick.

Can you guess which character I'd rather read about?

John Byrne
Grumpy Old Guy

Posted: 20 January 2011 at 1:13am | IP Logged | 5  

"2) Where does he store it?4) What happens when he runs out?"-----I don't understand either of these objections. With the mechanical shooters, Spider-Man is able to store days' worth of web fluid in bracelets so thin that they don't make a discernible bulge under skin-tight clothing. I don't see why the same volume of fluid stored inside the body would be any more noticeable.

And wasn't Spider-Man chronically running out of web fluid at key moments back in the 60s and 70s? He made do well enough.

••

You're mixing and matching a little too freely here.

First, the webbing Spider-Man uses in the comics is ARTIFICIAL. It doesn't work like real spider webbing, and so can be anything the writer(s) need it to be. At a convention, several years back, a fan told me about his idea for how the webbing worked, and it was quite brilliant. He imagined that it expanded rapidly when exposed to air (and therefore did not need to be under pressure in the cartridges), and then shrank just as quickly as it "dried" (thus actually PULLING Spider-Man thru the air).

These are not considerations that can be made with biological webbing. The restriction imposed automatically by this concept is that the webbing has to be the same as what a real spider produces. And that means Parker has to produce and store vast quantities of it, within his body. So, where? And how does he produce so much of it so quickly?

Has he run out in the comics. without refills handy? Yes -- occasionally. But with biological webbing, that's something we would expect to happen all the time. One quick trip across Manhattan -- a lot less, in fact -- and he'd be out.

Stan and Steve knew what they were doing. And their approach, unlike Sam Raimi's, was based on internal logic, not ego.

Stephen McGrath
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 20 January 2011 at 6:46am | IP Logged | 6  

How GREAT would the commercial for "3M's Web Fluid" be:

"Hang your pictures...for an hour! 

Fix your child's favorite toy...for an hour!

Need that broken bumper to stay up there...for an hour? 

Then 3M's All-New Web Fluid is for YOU! 

For an hour!"

Michael Penn
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 20 January 2011 at 7:07am | IP Logged | 7  

Perhaps now that Wolverine's healing factor has been increased to the point of magic, it's not hard for an audience to swallow that Peter Parker could have and endlessly replenishing amount of organic webbing in his body.

John Byrne
Grumpy Old Guy

Posted: 20 January 2011 at 7:24am | IP Logged | 8  

The ultimate absurdity of this "debate" is that it springs from people (like Sam Raimi) saying it would be "impossible" for Parker to create the mechanical webspinners (in Raimi's case because HE couldn't do it!), then charging ahead without considering the even greater "impossibility" of organ webspinners. At least, ones that worked the way the mechanical ones do, and didn't turn Parker into a deformed freak.

James Woodcock
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 20 January 2011 at 7:32am | IP Logged | 9  

I don't get this either - doesn't this fall into the camp of where does the Hulk's extra mass come from?

John Byrne
Grumpy Old Guy

Posted: 20 January 2011 at 7:43am | IP Logged | 10  

_______________________________________________________ ___

I don't get this either - doesn't this fall into the camp of where does the Hulk's extra mass come from?

••

Hardly! The Hulk's "extra mass" can actually be explained (with comicbook science) in a number of ways, none of which would require Banner himself PRODUCING the extra mass, in the way biological webbing requires Parker to produces large amounts of alien fluid.

Also, the Hulk's extra mass is not PERMANENT. Banner does not have to "store" it within his body when he is not the Hulk.

Break it down: Banner gets zapped by gamma rays, and transforms into a monstrous humanoid. A whole lot of extra mass comes from "somewhere". In the Marvel Universe, there are plenty of places that "somewhere" could be.

Parker gains the abilities of a spider from a radioactive bite, and if this includes biological webbing it somehow also includes the rearranging of his DNA in ways that have nothing to do with spiders. Webbing that emerges from the ends of his arms (but not his legs?), and does so under enormous pressure, for instance. That's some pretty darn clever radiation, there! Must be spider-totem magic!

Jon Stafford
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 20 January 2011 at 7:53am | IP Logged | 11  

QUOTE:
These are not considerations that can be made with biological webbing. The restriction imposed automatically by this concept is that the webbing has to be the same as what a real spider produces.

First, let me say that I agree that the the organic webbing is stupid, and that the mechanical ones add something important to the character.  That said, I'm not sure I agree with JB's argument above.  Real spiders don't have a spider sense, at least as far as we know.  And real spiders don't cling to walls by altering sub-atomic forces on surfaces.  So there's no reason to assume that IF Spider-Man had biological webbing that it would necessarily have to work exactly like a real spider's.

John Byrne
Grumpy Old Guy

Posted: 20 January 2011 at 8:19am | IP Logged | 12  

And real spiders don't cling to walls by altering sub-atomic forces on surfaces.

••

Neither does Spider-Man. That was something Shooter forced Mark Gruenwald to include in the original OHOTMU, against howls of complaint from just about everyone who'd ever even heard of Spider-Man.

Shooter was under the mistaken impression that spider's "stick" to walls, which he declared to be "icky" (his word) and so he came up with this "solution".

As to the "spider-sense" -- try to swat a spider and see how fast it it scurries out of the way. That's the advantage to all those body hairs and eight eyes, of course, but Stan and Steve merely literalized it into something else.

<< Prev Page of 13 Next >>
  Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version