Active Topics | Member List | Search | Help | Register | Login
The John Byrne Forum
Byrne Robotics > The John Byrne Forum << Prev Page of 13 Next >>
Topic: Could Spider-Man sell his web-fluid and become rich? (Topic Closed Topic Closed) Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 19 January 2011 at 11:19am | IP Logged | 1  

Even if Peter should sell his formula to government or anyone else... he would be forced to reveal his identity.

Or he could tell he has always supported Spider-Man giving him tehcnical help, so we'd have a whole team of Spider-Men helped by Peter Parker named Spider-Man Incorporated and... Oh, wait.
Back to Top profile | search e-mail

Joel Tesch
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 19 January 2011 at 11:27am | IP Logged | 2  

I mentioned above that the comics had Parker unsuccessfully trying to sell the fluid, but the reason why he can't maybe isn't that logical. Maybe there are applications that a temporary dissolving glue would be ideal for, like emergency surgery or as mentioned, non-lethal web-guns for the police.

And maybe it's more logical that a bite from a radioactive (or genetically altered) spider would either have no effect, or would kill him outright. And maybe it's more logical that a costume a solitary high school student designs would not look like something out of Nike's 21st century design and development team for olympic athletes.

Or maybe what's MOST logical is to go with the concepts that Stan and Steve introduced, which have worked and endured for decades.

Edited by Joel Tesch on 19 January 2011 at 11:28am
Back to Top profile | search

John Byrne
Grumpy Old Guy

Posted: 19 January 2011 at 11:39am | IP Logged | 3  

Or maybe what's MOST logical is to go with the concepts that Stan and Steve introduced, which have worked and endured for decades.

••

But that would deny Peter David his God given right to poo-poo the work of others, and show us all how to do it RIGHT!!

Jon Stafford
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 19 January 2011 at 11:42am | IP Logged | 4  

Not for nothing, the organic web shooter thing was just gross.  I don't want some superhero swinging around squirting his fluids all over everything.

Dan Avenell
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 19 January 2011 at 11:45am | IP Logged | 5  

Just so I'm not unwittingly creating a 'Bad Peter David story' I'll quote him here -

'As for why not use mechanical webshooters in the film...I dunno. Why not? I haven't said at any point there's no reason NOT to. I just said that if they decided to go with the organic webbing, that they shouldn't be condemned for it, and explaining the reasons why using the mechanical ones could be argued against.'

Matthew McCallum
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 19 January 2011 at 11:58am | IP Logged | 6  

Frankly, with all the "reality" in comics today, I'm amazed that Spider-Man hasn't been stalked by the EPA concerning the potential toxic chemicals in his web fluid and made to answer for the environmental harm his leftover webs have possibly caused. All we need are a couple of street thugs to claim they have "Spider-Web Syndrome" from being webbed up in the midst of their crime, and we've got a major lawsuit and a health hazard scare...

And let's not forget Homeland Security and the NYPD launching an investigation in why this high school kid is repeatedly purchasing all these various chemicals for unknown purposes...

John Byrne
Grumpy Old Guy

Posted: 19 January 2011 at 12:08pm | IP Logged | 7  

" I just said that if they decided to go with the organic webbing, that they shouldn't be condemned for it…"

••

Other than it being a really, really, really dumb idea -- and one the CREATORS of the character rejected?

Reasons the organic webbing is dumb:

1) Where does it come from? Spiders do not shoot webbing from the tips of their legs. In fact, they don't SHOOT webbing at all. If Spider-Man has organic webbing, the first thing that needs to be explained is why it doesn't emerge from a spinerette at the base of his spine, and why it emerges under high pressure.

2) Where does he store it? Spider's produce the webbing they need as they need it. This is strands more slender than a human hair, produced slowly. Spider-Man squirts out webbing much thicker than a hair (as drawn by Ditko), and much thicker than most spaghetti (as drawn by most people in the past couple of decades). Seems unlikely he could produce that much webbing as fast as he'd need it, so he would need to store it. Assuming the web spinners are, for some illogical reason, located at the ends of his arms, wouldn't this leave him looking like Popeye?

3) How much strain does it put on him producing this webbing? Take a look at any scene in the movies. He swings thru the city on threads -- THICK threads -- hundreds of feet long. What's being used to make this stuff? Is he channelling it from the "web dimension"? Wouldn't churning out that much webbing leave him, at the very least, dehydrated? And at the very worst, pretty much an empty husk?

4) What happens when he runs out? Given the above, he clearly cannot possibly have an inexhaustible supply. Even if he is storing it in those Popeye arms, one good tussle with Doctor Octopus or the Sandman, and he's going to be taxing his resources. Spider-Man with mechanical webspinners occasionally runs out, and there is a dramatic moment as he switches cartridges. Spider-Man with organic webspinners runs out and there is a dramatic moment as he FALLS TO HIS DEATH.

These are almost certainly things Stan and Steve considered. Why else go for the mechanical webshooters? Stan has even said he CONSIDERED organic webspinners -- but didn't go that way.

If it ain't broke. . .

Matt Reed
Byrne Robotics Security
Robotmod

Posted: 19 January 2011 at 12:10pm | IP Logged | 8  

Here's my problem - when you start picking at the conventions of superhero comics, the entire world becomes undone.  "Why doesn't Peter Parker make money off his web fluid?" is the same line of questioning that gives us "Doesn't the Hulk murder people during his rampages or the Avengers, FF, X-Men not only create billions of dollars worth of damage fighting in midtown Manhattan but also an incredible loss of life?"  I hate questions like those.  They take the fun and awe away from fantastic characters and bring them down to the level of a huckster trying to turn an invention into a quick buck.  Buy into the conventions and enjoy the fantasy world.  Stop buying into the conventions, fine, but then leave those characters alone.  Peter doesn't sell his invention because he doesn't.  He created it for his own purpose, to aid him in stopping crime, and not to either become rich or to donate the proceeds to charity.  Simple.

John Byrne
Grumpy Old Guy

Posted: 19 January 2011 at 12:12pm | IP Logged | 9  

You need to turn up your ennui a whole lot of notches, Matt, or you will NEVER make it as a modern comicbook writer!

Francesco Vanagolli
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 19 January 2011 at 12:18pm | IP Logged | 10  

Matt, you forgot the classic "why the Hulk's pants do adapt to both Hulk's and Banner's bodies?".

Edited by Francesco Vanagolli on 19 January 2011 at 12:19pm

Brian Joseph Mayer
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 19 January 2011 at 12:23pm | IP Logged | 11  

"Here's my problem - when you start picking at the conventions of superhero comics, the entire world becomes undone.  "Why doesn't Peter Parker make money off his web fluid?" "

For comics, I agree it is a convention we just let go. Film is a different matter. It would be easy to say he is a genius and can invent whatever. It would additonally be easy to say he doesn't sell it because is concern is being heroic. In a film, those conventions could be acceptable. But there is a third mater, presented quite strong in the film, that he SHOULD sell it if he could. That would be Aunt May.

Peter might not care about the money his genius can make. But he demonstrated his care for financially supporting Aunt May, someone who gives money to Peter that he knowsshe can't afford. If he had the ability to provide for better financial support, and refused to do so, he would just be a selfish dick.

Matt Reed
Byrne Robotics Security
Robotmod

Posted: 19 January 2011 at 12:29pm | IP Logged | 12  

If it's tied back to Peter in such a way that he is indeed Spider-Man, that puts Aunt May at grave mortal risk from any of a number of his foes who wouldn't hesitate to strike at her to get to him.  I hardly think giving May some cash is worth the risk of her life.  Again, simple answer that wouldn't in any way paint Peter as a "selfish dick".

<< Prev Page of 13 Next >>
  Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version