Active Topics | Member List | Search | Help | Register | Login
The John Byrne Forum
Byrne Robotics > The John Byrne Forum << Prev Page of 13 Next >>
Topic: Could Spider-Man sell his web-fluid and become rich? (Topic Closed Topic Closed) Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 22 January 2011 at 5:38pm | IP Logged | 1  

Part of what makes Spider Man interesting is Peter Parker, and all his "regular guy" problems. Making him wealthy is cool as a "what if?" but not as a regular part of the character, in my opinion.

Edited by Karim Adams on 22 January 2011 at 5:38pm
Back to Top profile | search

Mikael Bergkvist
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 23 January 2011 at 7:54am | IP Logged | 2  

Peter Parker culdn't have sold the fluid because he might not be able to legally.
Wasn't he 16 at the time?

Also, being an inventor, I know that there are several other issues involved. Did he use machines and equipment owned by the university/school, if so, maybe they own it? Did he register that he indeed invented it? Others may claim they did, like Doctor Octopus for example. Can he prove them wrong?

And how do we know that there isn't one used already, by the army for example, or SHIELD, but which is classified?

I can go on forever like this..
Back to Top profile | search | www e-mail

Brian Hague
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 23 January 2011 at 2:27pm | IP Logged | 3  

There was a mini-series some years back called "Big Town" with the premise that all of the Stark tech and Reed Richards-devised gadgetry was out there in the world, improving it, and shaping it into a sort of techno-Utopia.

One of the reasons this series isn't remembered, I believe, is because the premise is not one iota off from what was even then the current state of the Marvel Universe. Playing the game of "Implications" has made certain that there is advanced tech everywhere. Pym's pocket universe inventions are used in housing criminals, as is the Negative Zone. Super heroes and villains run all of the industries and hold all of the political offices. Whatever "normal" is or once was, it has no place in the state of the curent DC and Marvel universes. Everyone is a super-hero.

When I was younger I remember going off once on the idea that Professor X knew Reed Richards, knew Tony Stark, apparently had the wherewithal to construct Cerebro as well as the robotic death-traps and alien-tech holographic projectors for the Danger Room, and yet still rolled around in a conventional wheelchair. It made no sense! 

Apparently, the creators of the book came around to my point of view, for before long he was floating about in this imposing techno-throne of Shi'ar origin like some sort of emigrate New God... It had it's own weapons systems and forcefields... And then someone must have asked why we can't just fix it so he can walk. So he was cloned, and the clone could walk. But that wasn't as cool as before, so the clone was crippled. But that didn't make sense, because we can fix stuff like that, so he was up and walking around again... The last time I saw him he was sitting down, but man alive, I gotta tell you... What I wouldn't give for a return to that simple wicker-back wheelchair...

Back to Top profile | search e-mail

Brian Hague
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 23 January 2011 at 3:03pm | IP Logged | 4  

I wrote a huge, spiralling post earlier today about the problem writers today have with respecting the concept of Premise. Maintaining a balance between Premise and Story has always been an issue with serialized fiction. Story can twist Premise, jeopardize it, or invert it for however long the Story lasts, but if it does away with Premise, whatever ties we had to the character and his situation at the outset is also lost. We may embrace what then becomes, by default, the character's new Premise, but for the sake of everyone involved, this new thing had better be sufficiently appealing to maintain the sales levels of Underoos.

The matter becomes more muddled in modern times with the introduction of Event, which imposes change from without as opposed to Story, which generated it from within.

Simply put, (and skipping the voluminous content of my original post) Lee and Ditko knew what they were doing in making Peter simultaneously down at heel financially and brilliant enough to create the web-shooters. They addressed the question directly in story and if that answer isn't enough for you, no other answer is likely to be sufficient either. You either "get" Spider-Man or you don't. Fixing this one little thing that bothers you isn't going to redeem the whole concept.

I, myself, recommend going with it. First off, it makes as much sense as anything you're likely to come with to replace it, and secondly, the stories are fun with the existing elements in place. The adventures of a wealthy on-staff, corporate polymers researcher might be cool, too. But it wouldn't be Spider-Man.

Premise. It's key to the whole thing. Without it, the characters are no longer the characters, and they are the reason we read these stories, at least to the extent that anyone does anymore...

Francesco Vanagolli
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 24 January 2011 at 3:39am | IP Logged | 5  

Karim Adams:

QUOTE:
Part of what makes Spider Man interesting is Peter Parker, and all his "regular guy" problems. Making him wealthy is cool as a "what if?" but not as a regular part of the character, in my opinion.

One of the things I appreciated the more during the Mackie/Byrne run was seeing Peter facing common problems. In the previous years he discovered his parents were alive but then they revealed themselves as robots, his best friend became a super villain (again) and died, he met his clone again, then believed to be a clone himself, and a superpowered tycoon psychologically tortured him for months (I'm particularly fond of this last storyline, anyway).

Where was "Peter Parker"? There was no more distinction between the civilian life and the costumed one.

With JB aboard, Peter was: poor, unemployed, widover, homeless. A too big concentration of bad luck over his head? Maybe. But at least, that was REAL bad luck!

John Byrne
Grumpy Old Guy

Posted: 24 January 2011 at 5:30am | IP Logged | 6  

Stan and Steve stumbled slightly, coming out of the gate, by having Spider-Man battle aliens in his second issue. But they soon corrected that mistake, as they found their footing with the character, and for the rest of their time on the book, Spider-Man dealt with much more "street level" foes. For the most part, he was not up against real world-beaters like the FF or the Avenges more commonly dealt with. (Even when he went up against Doctor Doom, it was at a time when the good Doctor was not yet so great a force to be reckoned with as he would become.)

This persisted even after Ditko left, as Stan limited Spider-Man's rogue's gallery to "realistic" opponents -- "realistic" here in a classic comicbook sense. Robots, guys with mechanical arms, guys who had been turned to living sand, etc.

But what happened at the EXACT MOMENT Stan left? Spider-Man fought a VAMPIRE! Sure, it was a "scientific" vampire, but a vampire nonetheless. And this was immediately followed by a trip to the Savage Land to battle an alien avatar of King Kong!

Not long after. MARVEL TEAM-UP was born -- the book Roger Stern has described as the "death" of the real Marvel, as it was there that Spider-Man, the "eternal loner", found himself teaming up with a different character every month, AND becoming involved in stories that were more appropriate to those other characters. Thus Spider-Man found himself up against that vampire again, and even mixing with genuinely supernatural elements of the MU -- the "Werewolf by Night" and Ghost Rider. Sci-fi and magical elements abounded in MTU, and by the time I came to Marvel he was casually traveling thru time, and even taking a trip to the Moon!*

Spider-Man, in short, had found himself pulled into the same kinds of stories that we saw happening around Batman, during the years when he, too, veered wildly off-course. We used to joke around the office that it would not be long before New York was erecting Spider-Man statues and asking him to open libraries!

The truly weird thing, tho, was that while all this was going on -- while Parker was getting older, getting a steady (and glamorous) girlfriend, finding a glamorous career, and even picking up appurtenances like the "spider-buggy", if you ASKED anybody, fan or pro alike, to describe Spider-Man in 25 words or less, they would invariably default to the Lee/Ditko version -- the loner, the sad-sack, the never-gets-the-girl version. A version that really had not been seen in a long time!

____

* The first issue of MTU, with its wildly inaccurate portrayal of the Sandman -- even to giving him the wrong name! -- seems, looking back, like an almost deliberate change of course. As if the issue announced "From here on, we are looking at an alternate reality. This is no longer the 'real' Spider-Man."

Francesco Vanagolli
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 24 January 2011 at 7:16am | IP Logged | 7  

I loved Morbius.

But, when I read the conclusion to his debut... the Lizard? Monster vs monster with a six armed Spider-Man in the middle?
It seemed one of those Japanese monster movies like Godzilla Vs. Gamera.

The Savage Land trip? Sigh.

But the worse thing in the post Lee Spider-Man (an era filled by good stories, anyway) was the beginning of something which would had become canon in a short number of years: the secret identity and the superhero were the same man.

Once, we had Peter Parker, the ordinary guy, the young man you could relate with. And Spider-Man, the one who lived extraordinary adventures, had powers, wore a costume.

Then, Gerry Conway arrives and...

Aunt May becomes Doctor Octopus' housekeeper.

Gwen Stacy dies.

JJJ is father of a Man Wolf.

Liz Allen is revealed to be the Molten Man's stepsister (and someone complained because JB revealed in CHAPTER ONE that Norman Osborn and the sandman were relatives...).

Harry Osborn becomes the Green Goblin.

Miles Warren gets crazy and becomes the Jackal.

Gwen is cloned.

Peter is cloned, too.

Was there anyone NORMAL in there?

Conway wrote some excellent Spider-Man stories. The action was great, and beautifully drawn by Romita, Kane and Andru.
But the human side of the series was completely replaced by something else.
I had Spider-Man... but not Peter Parker!

Mike Norris
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 26 January 2011 at 1:48pm | IP Logged | 8  

I think there is the germ of a plot point in the idea of selling and marketing web fluid. Only not by Peter Parker. Instead someone would scoop up a sample of Spider-man's webbing, work out the kinks and make a fortune. Somehow Parker would find out but can't really claim it as his because it would expose his identity. I would resist the urge to make this guy a villain ( too easy) but rather use this to show how being Spider-man once again screws up Peter's life.

Mike Norris
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 26 January 2011 at 1:55pm | IP Logged | 9  

QUOTE:
But what happened at the EXACT MOMENT Stan left? Spider-Man fought a VAMPIRE! Sure, it was a "scientific" vampire, but a vampire nonetheless. And this was immediately followed by a trip to the Savage Land to battle an alien avatar of King Kong!
I think that was the first issue of Spider-man I bought. And I dint buy too many after that. I fact I traded it to a friend for some sweet Adams drawn Avengers issues.

Flavio Sapha
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 26 January 2011 at 2:30pm | IP Logged | 10  

What I wouldn't give for a return to that simple wicker-back wheelchair...
+++++++

Brian Hague, poster of the year! Awesome, insightful analysis!

Flavio Sapha
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 26 January 2011 at 2:31pm | IP Logged | 11  

Anyway, if Batman really wants to clean up Gotham City, why doesn´t he just finance an army of Batmen? Oh, wait...

Tony Midyett
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 26 January 2011 at 2:55pm | IP Logged | 12  

^ LOL!  Great post!

<< Prev Page of 13 Next >>
  Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version