Active Topics | Member List | Search | Help | Register | Login
The John Byrne Forum
Byrne Robotics > The John Byrne Forum << Prev Page of 13 Next >>
Topic: Could Spider-Man sell his web-fluid and become rich? (Topic Closed Topic Closed) Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 21 January 2011 at 5:58pm | IP Logged | 1  

An unused cover for WHAT IF? by John Romita.

Back to Top profile | search

Robert White
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 21 January 2011 at 6:20pm | IP Logged | 2  

Jesus, I was saying that even if Peter Parker sold and
marketed his web-fluid, it would be easy to put two and
two together and connect it to Spider-Man if someone did a
chemical test. Think of all those swing-lines that Spider-
Man leaves around. I know they don't last long, but given
all the mad-scientists in the Marvel Universe, it could be
easily done.

Jesus Garcia
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 21 January 2011 at 7:29pm | IP Logged | 3  

Robert, I agree about marketing the web fluid. Thing is, Peter is shown to have invented web fluid simply because he needed it. The same can be said about the spider tracers.

Peter solves the problems he faces by being inventive. It's not as if he had spent years thinking up uses for web fluid or spider tracers waiting for just the right occasion to put these into application. Stan & Steve depicted him as being technically resourceful under pressure and capable of using his brilliance to come up with novel, unique solutions.

There is no reason to think that Peter could not have continued to come up with useful gadgets -- in contexts other than fighting crime as Spider-Man.

It's part of the built-in conceit of that version of Spider-Man that we are meant to accept that Peter's resourcefulness only kicks in to help Spider-Man defeat this month's bad guy. It's also telling that, before very long, Peter stopped coming up with inventions. Stan & Steve must have realized early on that they were on the verge of giving us a patent-coughing younger version of Reed Richards.

Robert White
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 21 January 2011 at 8:04pm | IP Logged | 4  

I can't remember the original source, but I recall someone
positing the idea that, in part, the reason Parker could
invent something like his web fluid was because of the
radioactive spider venom in his veins. Somehow, it
imparted to him an instinctual ability to invent things
pertaining to spiders and his own unique powers--like the
spider tracers. Not sure if this is cannon or ever was.

Aaron Smith
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 21 January 2011 at 8:11pm | IP Logged | 5  

It's part of the built-in conceit of that version of Spider-Man that we are meant to accept that Peter's resourcefulness only kicks in to help Spider-Man defeat this month's bad guy. It's also telling that, before very long, Peter stopped coming up with inventions. Stan & Steve must have realized early on that they were on the verge of giving us a patent-coughing younger version of Reed Richards.

When did the poor kid have time to invent anything else? Between one supervillain after another, and JJJ, and girl troubles, and Aunt May getting sick, and the need to occasionally sleep and eat, there's only so many hours in the day! 

Edited by Aaron Smith on 21 January 2011 at 8:11pm
Back to Top profile | search | www e-mail

Wayde Murray
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 21 January 2011 at 8:37pm | IP Logged | 6  

I like Aaron's answer.  For a full-time student and part-time crimefighter with a part-time job that overlapped occassionally with his crimefighting job (he still had to put in time out of costume at the Bugle to haggle with JJJ and get paid for the pictures he took while in costume), how much research and development time could he reasonably devote to pet projects?  Necessity being the mother of invention would put his resourcefulness at the mercy of his crimefighting career.  Plus, he was a kid working out of his bedroom, not a scientist working out of a lab.

Edited by Wayde Murray on 21 January 2011 at 8:39pm

Ray Brady
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 22 January 2011 at 10:46am | IP Logged | 7  

"If Peter Parker sold and marketed his web-fluid, it would be easy to put two and two together and connect it to Spider-Man"
-----
Remember that there was already a public connection between Parker and Spider-Man. Peter Parker was that guy who always seemed to be able to get great shots of Spider-Man in action. There were even rumors of them having some kind of business arrangement.
Back to Top profile | search | www

John Byrne
Grumpy Old Guy

Posted: 22 January 2011 at 11:00am | IP Logged | 8  

Remember that there was already a public connection between Parker and Spider-Man. Peter Parker was that guy who always seemed to be able to get great shots of Spider-Man in action. There were even rumors of them having some kind of business arrangement.

••

One of the long-standing conventions of superhero comics is that masked characters do things which, logically, should tip off anyone who was paying attention as to who is behind the mask. They operate in the same cities, hang out with the same people, sometimes even date (or try to date) the same women.

One of the most often recurring arguments I had with Chris during our time on UNCANNY X-MEN was over his constant assertion that "everybody should have figured out who the X-Men are by now". Maybe -- but in comics, "everybody" doesn't. It's just that simple.

Joel Tesch
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 22 January 2011 at 11:29am | IP Logged | 9  

Jesus: A shame you quote me in your response without actually reading what I wrote. As you say, ludicrous.

Well, a shame you make the mistaken assumption that I didn't read what you wrote. I did. Now if I'm missing your point or misunderstanding what you are trying to say, that's one thing. But frankly, I don't see anything you wrote there that affects the quote I used nor the response I gave. Care to elaborate?

Greg Kirkman
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 22 January 2011 at 12:56pm | IP Logged | 10  

One of the long-standing conventions of superhero comics is that masked characters do things which, logically, should tip off anyone who was paying attention as to who is behind the mask. They operate in the same cities, hang out with the same people, sometimes even date (or try to date) the same women.

+++++++++

While I have no problem with this convention per se, it has bothered me ever since I was a kid in two particular cases:

* It's fine and dandy that Parker manages to get photos of Spider-Man that no one else can, but I find it annoying when stories emphasize some sort of secretive, personal connection between the two, i.e., "Parker is the only one who can contact Spider-Man!", or "Parker and Spider-Man are in cahoots!".

* Ditto with Clark Kent/Superman. Why would Kent be so foolish as to act in a way that would make people think that he's a personal friend of Superman's, or that he's somehow the only one who knows where to find Superman?

Edited by Greg Kirkman on 22 January 2011 at 1:24pm
Back to Top profile | search e-mail

Paulo Pereira
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 22 January 2011 at 1:03pm | IP Logged | 11  

I think part of what makes the convention work is the conceit that the two identities of the character seem too distinct for others to even consider that they belong to the same persona. Flash is Spider-Man's biggest fan, but Peter Parker's enemy. J.J. Jameson views Spider-Man as a menace, but Parker as a slacker, etc.

Same goes for Superman (and other secret identities), which recalls that story by JB where, to Luthor, the idea that that Kent is Superman is so outlandish that he fires the person who suggested it.

John Byrne
Grumpy Old Guy

Posted: 22 January 2011 at 1:07pm | IP Logged | 12  

Something writers often seem to forget is that, when handling these various characters, it is necessary for them (the writers) to operate WITHIN the world the characters inhabit. While it is occasionally fun to ask "How would this really work?" it is nearly fatal to do so on a regular basis.

That said, the flipside is just as dangerous. Too many times I have heard writers and editors "justify" preposterous ideas with "It's only comics!" (Once I had to listen to a writer justify a the torture and essentially crucifixion of a character we happened to share!)

<< Prev Page of 13 Next >>
  Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version