Active Topics | Member List | Search | Help | Register | Login
The John Byrne Forum
Byrne Robotics > The John Byrne Forum << Prev Page of 15 Next >>
Topic: Collecting Original Art - The Beginning (Topic Closed Topic Closed) Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 14 January 2011 at 10:40pm | IP Logged | 1  

This is the first piece of art that I ever bought. Big thanks to Jim Warden for selling me this cover many, many years ago in San Diego.

And yes i still have it!

Edited by Ceasar Alvarez on 14 January 2011 at 10:41pm
Back to Top profile | search e-mail

Chris Abel
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 15 January 2011 at 3:14am | IP Logged | 2  

My first page was from Paul Ryan's run on Flash with Mark Waid. When I saw him again at another comic show months later I ended up buying 3 more of his pages and by sheer luck got the next page from the same issue of Flash I had bought as my first purchase.

Back to Top profile | search | www

Nathan Greno
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 15 January 2011 at 3:16am | IP Logged | 3  

Neil: Where do most of you guys buy your original art or commissions? Is it mostly
eBay or do you go to auction sites?

---

I bought a bunch from EBAY when EBAY was a place to buy from... prices have gotten out of control...

:(

Now I just buy commissions from Jim Warden/JB -- trust me, that is the way to go! And you support JB in the end. It's a WIN-WIN :-)

Back to Top profile | search

Chris Abel
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 15 January 2011 at 3:31am | IP Logged | 4  

The majority of my art purchases have been made at comic shows from the artist themselves. Next is through the artist's, or his dealer's, website. Then the art dealers at comic shows. I've only ever bought 2 pages from ebay years ago, and they were great deals.

Michael Cross
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 15 January 2011 at 5:43am | IP Logged | 5  

Majority of mine are direct from the artist, pretty much all commissions..what art pages i did have were all bought from Guy davis, but since sold to buy different commissions from guy and other artists.
Back to Top profile | search e-mail

John Byrne
Grumpy Old Guy

Posted: 15 January 2011 at 5:45am | IP Logged | 6  

Where do most of you guys buy your original art or commissions?

••

The bulk of my collection I picked up at conventions over the years. A few pieces I have bought from auction houses, like Sotherby's. Recently, since he travels more than me and has more connections, Jim Warden has hooked me up with a few pieces.

And some, of course, are a distinct side benefit of knowing the artists themselves!

John Popa
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 15 January 2011 at 8:33am | IP Logged | 7  

I usually buy directly from the artist or from his direct dealer.  There is a small group of artists who I check for on ebay but I've only bought a couple pieces that way.  I generally bid what I'm willing to pay and then let it go if it goes higher.

Edited by John Popa on 15 January 2011 at 8:34am

Benny Gelillo
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 15 January 2011 at 8:37am | IP Logged | 8  

I bought my first original page from Terry Austin. He was at a store signing at Geppi's Comic World in Silver Spring, Maryland the summer of 1983. He had a huge stack of pages with him. He didn't have anything priced, so he took a long, thoughtful moment to decide what he wanted for the page: 20 bucks! I had enough money in my 8th grade pockets and I still have the page to this day.

Bill Mimbu
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 15 January 2011 at 9:26am | IP Logged | 9  

All of my original and commissioned artwork came from the artists themselves, or their direct representatives.

Most of it from conventions like SDCC, though lately its been thru people like Jim Warden.

James Henry
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 15 January 2011 at 1:05pm | IP Logged | 10  

Wow, this thread brings back some fond memories.  I bought my first piece of original art - an interior page from the X-51 (Machine Man) series by Joe Bennett - on eBay in 2001 for a whopping $40.  I had never given comic original art any thought prior to that, so I'm not sure what prompted the purchase, but it certainly was the start of a new passion.  In retrospect, I really owe a debt of gratitude to eBay for rekindling my enthusiasm for collecting comics and opening the door to new aspects of the hobby.  Although I'd been making my weekly pilgrimage to my local comic shop for years, it wasn't until I discovered eBay in 2001 that I really got enthusiastic about buying back issues and started learning about new areas like original art, etc. 

X-51 (Marvel 2000) No. 8 Page 12 by Joe Bennett

Tim O Neill
Byrne Robotics Security

Posted: 15 January 2011 at 1:09pm | IP Logged | 11  

I'm very lucky.  My first original art purchase was two pages from my favorite comic book story - Fantastic Four #236, JB's "Terror in a Tiny Town".  The pages show the scene that was a very memorable moment from my childhood -- the team have found out Liddleville isn't real, yet Ben is refusing to go back.  That blew my mind.  This moment is the main reason I have such a strong connection to Ben.  I really identified with the desire to run away from the difficulties of life.  And the thought  of an idyllic, eternal world would be irresistible if you looked like a monster in real life.  It was a rush when Ben was transformed back so he could return with them.

The pages appeared facing each other in the original comic book and the trade paperback, so the way I framed them is the way I experienced them when reading the book.

Greg Loboda
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 15 January 2011 at 1:40pm | IP Logged | 12  

Avengers #14, Page 3 by Don Heck:

<< Prev Page of 15 Next >>
  Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version